Pack List Review. Spike camp maybe in order.

dphifer

FNG
I am headed to Colorado next week for 2nd Rifle. First time elk hunting, backpacking, and doing it solo. Any of you experienced backpack hunters, let me know what you would change in this list. I originally wanted to go bivy style and move until I found the elk. The weight of my pack is making me think spike camping will be the best option. I believe I will be dropping the spotting scope off this list to save some weight.

Here is my list:

Yeah there is quite a bit that you could leave at truck.
Pack will be even heavier when carrying water.
Instead of taking all 8 days of food start with 3.
Couple observations/questions
Put airpad on space blanket Instead of foam pad
If worried about hanging food use dry bag and leave bear bag
3 headlamps and 6 charging cords?

Keep a notebook in truck and write down everything you didn't use while out hunting.

Good luck and enjoy the trip

OP
dphifer

dphifer

FNG
Yeah there is quite a bit that you could leave at truck.
Pack will be even heavier when carrying water.
Instead of taking all 8 days of food start with 3.
Couple observations/questions
Put airpad on space blanket Instead of foam pad
If worried about hanging food use dry bag and leave bear bag
3 headlamps and 6 charging cords?

Keep a notebook in truck and write down everything you didn't use while out hunting.

Good luck and enjoy the trip
Thank you for the input. I will drop the foam pad. It is a pain to deal with. Nice because it keeps air pad from sliding around and may protect it some. But can do without.

Leaving some food at truck isn’t a bad idea. If I am not on elk in 3 days, I will probably want to be back at truck and moving anyway.

Dropping one of the Black Diamond headlamps makes sense. Reading it how you wrote it made my realize that I was packing for the “what if”.

Charging cords are all different plugs. Can probably drop the watch cord, it doesn’t need to be charged often.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
don't know where you're going but I don't think you'll see a bear as its getting colder in some parts. also a phone tripod? just not sure what you would need that for. 8lbs is a bit to carry just for as spotting scope, can you borrow a lighter scope and tripod? as stated, youll be amazed at what you dont need in the woods and be upset about what you forgot lol so take notes and always leave extra in the truck, you can always go and get it. I often do that with food and clothing as colorado temps can have you sweating before bed and single digits when you wake up.

OP
dphifer

dphifer

FNG
don't know where you're going but I don't think you'll see a bear as its getting colder in some parts. also a phone tripod? just not sure what you would need that for. 8lbs is a bit to carry just for as spotting scope, can you borrow a lighter scope and tripod? as stated, youll be amazed at what you dont need in the woods and be upset about what you forgot lol so take notes and always leave extra in the truck, you can always go and get it. I often do that with food and clothing as colorado temps can have you sweating before bed and single digits when you wake up.
I know I could dump the little phone tripod but it is handy for taking pics of yourself and animal if you are lucky enough to harvest. Also pretty cool to take time lapse video in the mountains. I am going to just leave the spotter in the truck and use my Binos and the tripod for spotting. Forecast for now is high in the 40's and low in the 20's. We will see how that holds up. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

colt1776

FNG
You can take a leg off your tripod and the lower sections out to save weight too this one went from 40oz to 26oz by doing that. 7E8B2DC1-2642-4BFE-BF36-27E9BC00D512.jpeg

Attachments

• 9B143AA5-4408-4BC1-9152-C48C226F7836.jpeg
    9B143AA5-4408-4BC1-9152-C48C226F7836.jpeg
    756.2 KB · Views: 12

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
Not a bad list at all for a fellow that has not done this before. Staying mobile with the camping gear sounds great, but it can be a big pain in real life (I have done it). Sometimes you have to make a move quickly to get a chance at elk and a full pack makes that very difficult. If you see them coming out of timber just before dark, or going into timber in the morning, you might have the need to move at your top speed. I would pack in a spike camp and move it only if needed.

I might have missed it, but I did not see a container to use for the boiling of water. Regular TP is light and might come in handy for a variety of uses other than the obvious one (marking blood trails, cleaning your hands, etc.). Ziploc bags are your friend for organizing and keeping everything dry.

OP
dphifer

dphifer

FNG
Not a bad list at all for a fellow that has not done this before. Staying mobile with the camping gear sounds great, but it can be a big pain in real life (I have done it). Sometimes you have to make a move quickly to get a chance at elk and a full pack makes that very difficult. If you see them coming out of timber just before dark, or going into timber in the morning, you might have the need to move at your top speed. I would pack in a spike camp and move it only if needed.

I might have missed it, but I did not see a container to use for the boiling of water. Regular TP is light and might come in handy for a variety of uses other than the obvious one (marking blood trails, cleaning your hands, etc.). Ziploc bags are your friend for organizing and keeping everything dry.
Thanks, I have hours and hours into this list. Never knew how much work just putting the right gear together would be. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. The Jetboil Stash system has a small "pot" for boiling water.

Marble

WKR
Pretty close to what I carry.

I do not carry a tripod or spotter of any type for elk. They are big and stick out. Easy to see. If I'm deer hunting I'll consider depending on circumstances etc.

8 days is pretty adventurous in the cold weather. Second season in CO is no joke. This next week it's mid to low teens at night and high 20s at day. That will be a long 8 days in weather like that. If you've done 8 before, then ignore me.

Don't forget to have a great time!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most places are getting cold, your water freezing is a concern. Heat it up on your stove then fill a nalgene or two.

Not sure how your clothing weighs that much, is there a typo somewhere?

Agree with getting back to your truck after three days. When there take the time to warm and dry and charge your stuff.

Not sure how tall you are but those lanshans are tight. Be with cautious with condensation. Bring a dish sponge to softly wipe moisture off the inside. Keep extra layers in your sleeping bag so they aren’t as cold in the morning.

OP
dphifer

dphifer

FNG
Pretty close to what I carry.

I do not carry a tripod or spotter of any type for elk. They are big and stick out. Easy to see. If I'm deer hunting I'll consider depending on circumstances etc.

8 days is pretty adventurous in the cold weather. Second season in CO is no joke. This next week it's mid to low teens at night and high 20s at day. That will be a long 8 days in weather like that. If you've done 8 before, then ignore me.

Don't forget to have a great time!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I hear you on the 8 days in cold weather. At least this isn't a float plane trip where I am stuck. I can go back to truck and regroup if need be.

OP
dphifer

dphifer

FNG
Most places are getting cold, your water freezing is a concern. Heat it up on your stove then fill a nalgene or two.

Not sure how your clothing weighs that much, is there a typo somewhere?

Agree with getting back to your truck after three days. When there take the time to warm and dry and charge your stuff.

Not sure how tall you are but those lanshans are tight. Be with cautious with condensation. Bring a dish sponge to softly wipe moisture off the inside. Keep extra layers in your sleeping bag so they aren’t as cold in the morning.
Sounds like good advice. Thanks. I have slept in the Lanshan a few times now, but not in cold weather. Going to be an experience. I don't think there is a typo on clothing, but I will check. The boots in the worn clothing are adding a fair amount to that.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
You may want to reconsider carrying a bladder this late in the year. I always have trouble with the hose freezing, making it worthless. Something to consider. At least make sure the hose is insulated. That helps....some.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
dphifer

dphifer

FNG
You may want to reconsider carrying a bladder this late in the year. I always have trouble with the hose freezing, making it worthless. Something to consider. At least make sure the hose is insulated. That helps....some.

Thanks Neil. I’m think about bringing a Nalgene as a backup. Ever had any luck just blowing the water back into the bladder to clear the line?

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, than works.....until I forget to do it! I don't seem to drink as much when it's cold out, so I just stick with Nalgenes and drink when I stop. But, you can make the bladder work if you're cognizant of the temp and keeping water out of the hose when it's too cold.

JCohHTX

FNG
Bringing a Smart Water bottle instead of a Nalgene, and as backup for if your bladder freezes, is pretty minimal weight cost. I usually bring both in the late season and sometimes keep that Smart Water in my sleeping bag.

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
Insulated boots would be a good idea, I agree with most of the other post

OP
dphifer

dphifer

FNG
Bringing a Smart Water bottle instead of a Nalgene, and as backup for if your bladder freezes, is pretty minimal weight cost. I usually bring both in the late season and sometimes keep that Smart Water in my sleeping bag.
Sounds like a good plan.

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I like your list. Looking at it it looks like you are updating it. Well done....

I would still ditch the bear bag, go with 3 days of food and use your dry bag as your "bear bag".

I don't like bladders and have gone to the HDPE nalgene's. Half the weight of the regular, can take hotter water as a "hot water bottle". The value of the hot water bottle option can make a cold bad night into a no big deal. Can be placed upside down to help keep freezing the lid area. They are cheap.They also help me monitor my intake.

The bladder for resupply you have is fine, just realize you will most likely have freezing there as well.

I think your clothing weight is on. Mine always seem to actually weigh more than other peoples as well.

As has been stated. Make sure having fun is number 1. Don't be a tough guy if something isn't working, bail back to the truck and adjust....then get back after it.....

I'll be out for 2nd rifle as well.....