OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
I use that combo (60 g Alpha & light windshirt) for early season. As the season progresses (or temps require it) I'll use a heavier Alpha piece as my mid-layer, but still carry the windshirt.

I've got some 4 -ish oz wind shirts I use backpacking outside of hunting season, for hunting season I use a little heavier one (7-ish oz), just more durable.

Which wind shirts specifically do you use? How is their stretch and ease of movement?

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
Just wanna say thank you for your perspective. A lot of good tips in there that I wish more people could see. One thing that always bothers me when carrying a pistol archery hunting is that it’s on my pack and then have to switch to my hip if it’s off. I like that bear spray would stay on my bino harness which never comes off until I get in my tent.

The upper base layer is cotton, or?

Synthetic. Don’t like the way merino feels on my upper body when I sweat.

I always recommend a hooded, long-sleeved sun shirt.
It's probably too late, but I would look at lighter boots.

I don’t like fitted long sleeves for a duration of time. Day hunts perfectly fine. Multiple days and I want to rip it off. A loose fitting sun hoody isn’t my favorite for layering but either. I’ve never considered sun a concern on a hunting trip honestly. I don’t wear a hood fishing on a boat and prefer that

What’re your concerns on boot weight? What weight range do you prefer to stay in? Are you solely concerned on weight or take into consideration materials, flex and ankle support?

I added a cut-resistant fish fillet glove to my kill kit

I like this idea, great tip thank you

-

The inreach tip is one everyone should know. Not sure how I found out about it but I definitely utilize that. Such a good feature

I’m going to continue thinking about food but I feel confident with what I currently have. Good chance I add a little something

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
I missed the bear hunt part. Definitely bring tripod, definitely a lot of glassing.

I would be bringing a small spotter in addition; again expect a lot of glassing. I'd throw in a small length of Z-pad or the like to sit on as well.
Got it, thank you.

Do not have a spotter yet. Next year will have one and good to know it’ll be useful for bear. Instead of a z pad to sit on I actually use my inflatable pillow to sit on. I just let air out until it’s comfortable. Was sitting on rocks for a while last year and the foam pad wasn’t cutting it. Tried out the pillow and loved it

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
The specs on that solar panel are closer to 8 ounces, what panel is 3 ounces? I might be interested in one. Mines a 5 watt, weighs 5.5 oz.so basically the same weight for the panel and a 10000mah battery as a 20000 mah battery, but I can recharge in the field indefinitely. That’s how I look at it.Has worked great for years, fills up the battery pack at camp while I’m hunting. Haven’t found the limit yet doing that, but I’m in Arizona so plenty of sun usually.
I don’t know if it helps you, but I’m just finishing up testing stoves as we speak. The brs is averaging 7 grams of fuel to boil 16.9 oz (2 peak refuels plus a bit) of cool water, in a 650 ml titanium cup, no lid. So for me, I’ll plan on 10 grams per boil,to be safe,to account for wind,elevation, colder temps etc burning more fuel.
For me, it would take between 2 and 3 weeks of 2 meals per day for the higher efficiency of the jetboil to overcome the weight difference between it and the brs/cup setup.
To me, there’s a clear winner

The solar panel on my list weighs 3.39oz. That was measured by me. I’m sure whoever wrote 8oz included all the carabiner and shit that came in the box. 10w and like $20 so might be worth checking out. There’s been some lengthy write ups on it from thru hikers that use it extensively.

Yea there’s some good videos that show the weight savings in the pot and stove outweigh the efficiency of the jetboil stash. Even with a 4oz can the difference in number of boils was like 19 to 24 so not much. Definitely worth the size and weight of the brs/pot combo

Drenalin

WKR.
That’s slick. Pretty sturdy or is it true bungee?
The Rick Young deal is just shock cord, but it’s large enough diameter that it stays in place pretty well while still having stretch. On the FHF pouch, I had to route through those upper two loops so it doesn’t sag away from my chest.

Haven't the replies but here's my $.02 based on your first post and the gear list.

1) Do you need the pack lid? I almost never use mine (k3 3200), but if you need the space you need the space
2) Forget the gopro unless you are already familiar with it. As someone who is pretty familiar with filming I still end up never using anything but my phone. a 13 pro makes great video anyway.
3) not sure if you are using the lid on your pot, but I would make a lighter lid out of an aluminum pie plate if you are. But i am a weight weenie.

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
The Rick Young deal is just shock cord, but it’s large enough diameter that it stays in place pretty well while still having stretch. On the FHF pouch, I had to route through those upper two loops so it doesn’t sag away from my chest.
I noticed how you routed it through, I like rhat. Looks like an option to check out

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

WKR
1) Do you need the pack lid? I almost never use mine (k3 3200), but if you need the space you need the space

Good point. I haven’t loaded my pack yet so unsure but I’m almost positive I’ll take it even if I don’t need it space wise I’ll utilize it for organization. If it’s glaring that I don’t need it I’ll drop it. Thank you

3) not sure if you are using the lid on your pot, but I would make a lighter lid out of an aluminum pie plate if you are. But i am a weight weenie.

Haha I like the one that I don’t have to mess with 😂
2) Forget the gopro unless you are already familiar with it
Dropped it

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea I didnt think the weight was noticeable. Not much different than my Baltoro lites in terms of weight. Not a light hiker by any means but doesn’t feel like I have bricks on my feet either
My size 13 are 29oz each so your doing much better than me

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanna say thank you for your perspective. A lot of good tips in there that I wish more people could see. One thing that always bothers me when carrying a pistol archery hunting is that it’s on my pack and then have to switch to my hip if it’s off. I like that bear spray would stay on my bino harness which never comes off until I get in my tent.

Synthetic. Don’t like the way merino feels on my upper body when I sweat.

I don’t like fitted long sleeves for a duration of time. Day hunts perfectly fine. Multiple days and I want to rip it off. A loose fitting sun hoody isn’t my favorite for layering but either. I’ve never considered sun a concern on a hunting trip honestly. I don’t wear a hood fishing on a boat and prefer that

What’re your concerns on boot weight? What weight range do you prefer to stay in? Are you solely concerned on weight or take into consideration materials, flex and ankle support?

I like this idea, great tip thank you

-

The inreach tip is one everyone should know. Not sure how I found out about it but I definitely utilize that. Such a good feature

I’m going to continue thinking about food but I feel confident with what I currently have. Good chance I add a little something
Never mind about the boots. I looked them up I thought they were 49 oz each, as you list 1, and I thought, dam that, some heavy-ass boots.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which wind shirts specifically do you use? How is their stretch and ease of movement?

For hunting I use a Black Diamond Alpine Start- good balance of wind/precip protection and breathability. Stretches pretty nicely due to a Schoeller fabric.