Pack for PRS/NRL Field Matches?

dscl

FNG
Currently running with a Eberlestock UpRanger and while I love the organizational aspect of it the thing is super heavy (for what it is) and is uncomfortable when loaded up. For a standard style match this is fine, but looking to replace it with something lighter/more comfortable for field matches.

Currently looking at the following:
  • Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault - Cheapest of the options, but not US made. Not sure how it deals with heavy loads.
  • Kifaru 357 Mag - Probably bigger than I need and I wish the pockets on the side weren't full length.
  • Kifaru 22 Mag - Right size and layout, but also most expensive and not sure if I need an external frame system. Although I do like the flexibility it could offer for switching bags in the future
Just curious what the groups thoughts are here and if there are other options I should be considering as well.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like having a frame for NRL matches for sure. I actually run my pack nearly the same way as if I were hunting. The external frame packs are great for day hunts and backpack hunts. If you watch the classifieds, you can pick one up and run it. If you don't like it you can sell it for what you paid. I've done that before. And, I will buy a new one if I really like it.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Currently running with a Eberlestock UpRanger and while I love the organizational aspect of it the thing is super heavy (for what it is) and is uncomfortable when loaded up. For a standard style match this is fine, but looking to replace it with something lighter/more comfortable for field matches.

Currently looking at the following:
  • Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault - Cheapest of the options, but not US made. Not sure how it deals with heavy loads.
  • Kifaru 357 Mag - Probably bigger than I need and I wish the pockets on the side weren't full length.
  • Kifaru 22 Mag - Right size and layout, but also most expensive and not sure if I need an external frame system. Although I do like the flexibility it could offer for switching bags in the future
Just curious what the groups thoughts are here and if there are other options I should be considering as well.
The Kifaru 357 Mag is my favorite pack for matches.

WKR
I like having a frame for NRL matches for sure. I actually run my pack nearly the same way as if I were hunting. The external frame packs are great for day hunts and backpack hunts. If you watch the classifieds, you can pick one up and run it. If you don't like it you can sell it for what you paid. I've done that before. And, I will buy a new one if I really like it.
Do you ever shoot off the frame or bag? Wondering if the pack is just there to carry your stuff or if it's an active part of your shooting gear?

OP
dscl

dscl

FNG
Appreciate your input, I will keep my eyes open in the classifieds!

OP
dscl

dscl

FNG
The Kifaru 357 Mag is my favorite pack for matches.

Would love to see how you have it organized. When looking at Kifaru this was the initial path I was heading towards. When I saw one in the Kifaru show room I wasn't sure if I needed that much room.

OP
dscl

dscl

FNG
Do you ever shoot off the frame or bag? Wondering if the pack is just there to carry your stuff or if it's an active part of your shooting gear?
Technically you could shoot off of it and I imagine there could be scenarios where it makes sense, but so far I haven't seen anyone do it in the type of matches I've been in.

Reactions: 307

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't shoot off my pack much. If I am going to use front support, I will set up my tripod. I will use my pack in other creative ways to build a stable position though. I just like having a pack with a frame, it makes it easier and more comfortable to carry all day. I pretty well don't use any packs without a frame these days. I will put my smaller bag onto a frame to shrink size if needed.

Reactions: 307
OP
dscl

dscl

FNG
I don't shoot off my pack much. If I am going to use front support, I will set up my tripod. I will use my pack in other creative ways to build a stable position though. I just like having a pack with a frame, it makes it easier and more comfortable to carry all day. I pretty well don't use any packs without a frame these days. I will put my smaller bag onto a frame to shrink size if needed.
Thanks for this perspective!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Would love to see how you have it organized. When looking at Kifaru this was the initial path I was heading towards. When I saw one in the Kifaru show room I wasn't sure if I needed that much room.

I added a large and medium belt pouch to the back of mine as you can see. I also have a medium belt pouch and water bottle pocket on the belt. I put my spotter in one of the side pockets if I bring it. The other side holds my Gitzo tripod if I don't bring my bigger Vortex Radian tripod. I carry binos in the top pocket. My Rangefinder and Kestral go in the medium pouch on the back. Gloves go in the pocket on the belt. I put empty brass in the large pouch on the back as I shoot.

Inside I have a large "puffy bag" and my shmedium Game Changer, along with a rain jacket or puffy if needed. I keep my ammo in either the inside mesh pocket or the bladder sleeve. My earmuffs, data armband, snacks, and whatever else I'm forgetting also go inside.

20220212132301_IMG_7197 - Copy.JPG

OP
dscl

dscl

FNG
I added a large and medium belt pouch to the back of mine as you can see. I also have a medium belt pouch and water bottle pocket on the belt. I put my spotter in one of the side pockets if I bring it. The other side holds my Gitzo tripod if I don't bring my bigger Vortex Radian tripod. I carry binos in the top pocket. My Rangefinder and Kestral go in the medium pouch on the back. Gloves go in the pocket on the belt. I put empty brass in the large pouch on the back as I shoot.

Inside I have a large "puffy bag" and my shmedium Game Changer, along with a rain jacket or puffy if needed. I keep my ammo in either the inside mesh pocket or the bladder sleeve. My earmuffs, data armband, snacks, and whatever else I'm forgetting also go inside.

View attachment 401411
Thanks, really appreciate the detailed info!!

Lawnboi

WKR
I use a 14r with a gun bearer. Not what I’d choose out of the current spread of kifaru packs but I’m happy with it, and can’t justify replacing it.

OP
dscl

dscl

FNG
I use a 14r with a gun bearer. Not what I’d choose out of the current spread of kifaru packs but I’m happy with it, and can’t justify replacing it.
If you were buying one today though I’m curious which you would go with?