Pack cover or no?

Headed to Alaska this August to be an observer on my buddies sheep hunt. I’ve got the Stone Glacier Sky 5900. Basic question, should I bring a rain pack cover, or is the bag waterproof enough? I plan on having my gear organized in the pack with sea to summit ultra sil bags. In the past I’ve had pack covers and the wind and weather blow those things off and provide little protection. I’d be interested in other hunters experiences.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
I run a stone glacier bag and while fairly water resistant for brief shower or light drizzle I do run a pack cover for and sustained or heavy rain. I have used the kuiu pack cover and not issues with it blowing off.

Bring one.

A few ounces there can save a lot of weight in absorbed water.

Update: I've not had an issue with my Kuiu one on multiple hunts in AK during bad wind and weather. However, the hooded covers do look nice that some others' make.

Last edited:
I have done this same thing a few times and always bring a pack cover, I also use it to hold my boots and clothes in the tent so they are in one place.

OMB

WKR
Bring one.

A few ounces there can save a lot of weight in absorbed water.

Update: I've not had an issue with my Kuiu one on multiple hunts in AK during bad wind and weather. However, the hooded covers do look nice that some others' make.
Agree. Tiny expense and almost zero weight penalty. I was glad to have mine in the NWT. Kept my rain gear and pack cover together in my lid, takes less than a minute to have everything buttoned up and covered when a rain would blow through.

Atigun

FNG
It is easier to keep things dry than to dry them out. A passing shower won’t ruffle your feathers, but 10 days of rain might. I personally use my cover every night as I leave my pack outside of my tent with the cover on.

rideold

WKR
I've abandoned pack covers in favor of silnylon liner bags. Sounds like that's what you're doing with the sea to summit ultrasil bags. No need for a pack cover if that's your set-up

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
I bring the cover with me. It’s also easy to leave the bag in the cover outside of the tent vestibule if it was ever necessary.
Agree with the line above, “It’s easier to kee things dry than to dry them out.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKMoose

WKR
I bring one, the comment of absorbed weight is what tips it for me. And I like keeping my bag in the tent so having it dry(ish) is a big plus

Cascade340

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely recommend a pack cover along with keeping everything in dry bags. I’ve seen the x-pac material fail multiple times in light to moderate rain. I like my kifaru pack cover. Im sure there are other good ones too.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A hunt this year showed me the value of them. They can also double up at night as covers for things outside of the tent you don't want to get wet.

Yep, and when it's wet enough for a cover, everything in the pack is inside a contractor bag liner, plus the down is in its own waterproof sack.

Last edited:
I always run a pack cover when needed. Soaked bag is no fun. I leave my pack outside of tent generally so cover goes on then. I had a tipi tent tear up on my on a goat hunt, was wet and miserable and slept under a tarp, I used the pack cover to cover my feet and down sleeping bag from the bit of rain coming in from side of the tarp. It’s a multipurpose piece for myself!

My mystery ranch pack cover has held up nicely for about 7 years running now. Couple patched holes but it doesn’t leak. I got my wife a hooded pack cover for her pack that I steal when I can saves some rain hitting the back and running down