Pack company arms race?

carter33

WKR
Big fan of Kifaru, exo and stone glacier.
I own pieces from all of them. Since the release of the K4 by exo it seems like Kifaru has been coming out with a lot as well, not necessarily packs but a new site and more videos etc.

Kinda feel like the hype around exo has garnered attention from Kifaru and I would imagine stone glacier as well. Like I said all great companies and we as the consumers win. Just wondered if anyone had noticed the same?

ljalberta

WKR
I think the Kifaru website was a long time coming. Same with some updated pack designs and product releases since moving to Wyoming.

Kifaru has been quite active in the past on social media, and I think they’re just picking that back up again since they’ve got settled.

Exo’s first pack design also had quite the thread going here if I remember correctly. But I do think anytime a company garners almost 100 pages on a forum pre-release for a pack, other companies take notice and it might impact how they roll out and test and share the development of future designs on here.

Overall I’m a fan of more activity on here. I own multiple SG packs, have had multiple Kifaru packs, and now have my first Exo arriving shortly. Love having them pushing each other and having more options for the market.

OP
carter33

carter33

WKR
I think the Kifaru website was a long time coming. Same with some updated pack designs and product releases since moving to Wyoming.

Kifaru has been quite active in the past on social media, and I think they’re just picking that back up again since they’ve got settled.

Exo’s first pack design also had quite the thread going here if I remember correctly. But I do think anytime a company garners almost 100 pages on a forum pre-release for a pack, other companies take notice and it might impact how they roll out and test and share the development of future designs on here.

Overall I’m a fan of more activity on here. I own multiple SG packs, have had multiple Kifaru packs, and now have my first Exo arriving shortly. Love having them pushing each other and having more options for the market.
I agree, I think the competition is good. I wondered if the “heavier” activity from Kifaru I perceived was just from them settling in to their new location.

On my next hunt I will have something from all three companies along, after taking the K4 out for a spin it was very impressive but I also really trust my Kifaru frames/bags.

I think maybe if the K4 lives up to the hype I think it deserves and it receives here that the other two may be on the drawing board trying to beat it.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What’s intriguing to me is they’re not necessarily competing with the same things. Kifaru is involving the user to design a new bag. Exo has a new frame in a unique sizes. Seek outside has been dabbling with new fabrics. Kuiu revamped their daypacks. Haven’t kept up with the other brands. I’m excited to see what’s coming as I felt this gear segment was getting stale.

Big fan of Kifaru, exo and stone glacier.
I own pieces from all of them. Since the release of the K4 by exo it seems like Kifaru has been coming out with a lot as well, not necessarily packs but a new site and more videos etc.

Kinda feel like the hype around exo has garnered attention from Kifaru and I would imagine stone glacier as well. Like I said all great companies and we as the consumers win. Just wondered if anyone had noticed the same?
No. I think you are trying to make something out of something else. Kifaru was sold and has new ownership. They mov d due to Patrick no longer owning it. Exo had nothing to do with that.

OP
carter33

carter33

WKR
No. I think you are trying to make something out of something else. Kifaru was sold and has new ownership. They mov d due to Patrick no longer owning it. Exo had nothing to do with that.
I wasn’t trying to say Kifaru moved locations because exo came out with a new frame, if my post communicates that I apologize.

I have just seen a little more activity from Kifaru recently I think. Given the excitement around the exo release I wondered if it was spurred on by that or it could just be they’re getting settled into the new place and picking back up on the pace so to say.

What’s intriguing to me is they’re not necessarily competing with the same things. Kifaru is involving the user to design a new bag. Exo has a new frame in a unique sizes. Seek outside has been dabbling with new fabrics. Kuiu revamped their daypacks. Haven’t kept up with the other brands. I’m excited to see what’s coming as I felt this gear segment was getting stale.

I agree, all the companies have a following that probably won’t try anything else and for arguably reasonable reasons. I was and am a big Kifaru fan, I was lucky enough to win an exo K4 and honestly thought I’d sell it at first but am pretty damned impressed.

My thought was all three companies are competing for the “fringe”, “undecided” or new buyers. To all of them I would imagine the frame comfort is and should be the most important aspect which is why I would imagine all three companies focus mostly on that as opposed to bag design.

I'm comparing packs to optics. Alpha level packs are focused on being without flaws.
Second tier packs can offer serviceable gear for 80% of the market.
And good enough sells a good amount, hoping no one is torture testing their stuff .
MR, Badlands, even Alps has new and improved quality product waiting for us to put to use.
Knowing what YOU NEED is paramount.

I wasn’t trying to say Kifaru moved locations because exo came out with a new frame, if my post communicates that I apologize.

I have just seen a little more activity from Kifaru recently I think. Given the excitement around the exo release I wondered if it was spurred on by that or it could just be they’re getting settled into the new place and picking back up on the pace so to say.

I agree, all the companies have a following that probably won’t try anything else and for arguably reasonable reasons. I was and am a big Kifaru fan, I was lucky enough to win an exo K4 and honestly thought I’d sell it at first but am pretty damned impressed.

My thought was all three companies are competing for the “fringe”, “undecided” or new buyers. To all of them I would imagine the frame comfort is and should be the most important aspect which is why I would imagine all three companies focus mostly on that as opposed to bag design.
I know what you said. I read it. My post was directed at new ownership doing things their way. It just so coincided with expo’s new release. Because of the move.

mt100gr.

WKR
Some of the top companies are continuing the innovation that carried them this far. New materials, new designs, new takes on what a pack should be and how it should perform. Some are just rearranging stuff that they have already done and riding their own wave of popularity. Stone Glacier owns the lightweight. Exo is running away with the "overall". It's definitely an arms race! And the other companies have certainly been keeping an eye on the K4. Kifaru didn't do anything new by considering feedback on a forum.....

I have owned them all and had great performance from them all.