Pack Barreling

mddat

FNG
I bought a kifaru ultralight duplex a few months ago and have slowly been adding more and more weight to it during training hikes. I had 80 lbs of weight in it and noticed it was barreling pretty good. Im running 2 arrows per side but I'm wondering if going with some aluminum stays will help stop the barreling. I came from running a stone glacier and even thou I liked there system it just wouldn't stay on my hips when I got over 40 lbs in it. The kifaru fits me so much better and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

more rigid curved stays will make the frame sheet much less able to barrel in my experience. I have an old gen 1 duplex with the heavy al stays, and it is nearly impossible to barrel. I threw some arrows in to see how it worked and barreling was the first thing I noticed. Just like how you can only curve cardboard in one axis at a time, so too with the HDPE sheets. I think someone told me "sectional density" was the official description of what was going on.

You can get 1/4" x 1" aluminum from a hardware store and fashion your own stays to see if it helps. These will be thinner than what Kifaru uses but a fairly cheap way to see if it helps before dropping $50 or $60 bucks on stays from Kifaru. Plus, the thinner stays are easier to form if you need to tweak the shape a little.

The UL frame does barrel with arrows. Aluminum stay helps a LOT! Because the frame sheet is so thin you just need to be eyeful when cranking down on the straps.

^^^

Instead of the two stays contacting your back you have gear "barreling" between the the two stays contacting your back instead. It's pretty uncomfortable.

Typically a bigger problem with Internal stays. I have to be careful packing my T1 to avoid this.

^^^

Instead of the two stays contacting your back you have gear "barreling" between the the two stays contacting your back instead. It's pretty uncomfortable.

Typically a bigger problem with Internal stays. I have to be careful packing my T1 to avoid this.

Ah. Thanks for the info.

Back