PA elk

I live about 30 minutes south of the core elk herds in PA and routinely visit the area. The size of the bulls in this state is incredible. But then again, most of the herd isn't all that afraid of people because they aren't hunted but on an extremely limited basis. I believe i'm on year 12 or so putting in for a tag and have yet to draw. I probably will never at the rate the Game Commission is going with this. Its a novelty thing, not really much of a mangement thing at this point.

Anyone know how much an outfitter cost on average? Of course its not listed on the website

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I was at the elk expo today….. congrats bro, I’m jealous lol….. for real though if you need any help packing out for some reason…. I’ll help for free. I’m up in Warren, PA.

My buddys cabin is in zone 9 and ive been there many times for deer and bear. Its a very small zone and much of it is private(and what isnt is largely STEEP) and the majority of elk taken there are on private lands. Being its a once in a lifetime tag, its advisable to hire a guide. The largest bull shot in all zones last year was in my buddys yard the night before and they used a guide. Unless you have a ton of time to learn and scout it out, get a guide. You will not get permission to hunt on private grounds, and even with a guide you may not be able to in that zone. I can tell you a story on how that big bull was taken, but I wont. Lets just say the guide didnt exactly operate within the Pa game law. If you aint in top shape, get moving. Those mountains are huge and steep.

I wanted to be at the expo but came down with the delta virus....im vaccinated but i guess somebody has to be in the 2% of "break-thru" cases. Im glad I was vaccinated, or I surely would be in the hospital right now...it was pretty ugly. Im about 90% thru it at this point. For those wanting to be antivaxxers......you are crazy and I will leave it at that.

Resurrecting this thread. Just drew (1 of 2) antlered tags for general season for zone 9... im still shaking. Looks to be only 28% public so I guess its time to start researching. Anyone else have luck? Anyone ever hunt zone 9?

Congrats my friend!! Be prepared to kill a monster. I’d recommend an outfitter. Ether Hicks Run Outfitters, or Elk County Outfitters. I’ve never used them but ran into guys from both and heard good things about both. They tend to know the locals and have permission onto many private lands. They will work with you and ask what you want. Do you want a private land elk or public. What is your hiking ability.
I live about 2 hours south of the herd and look forward to following ur journey. I’m up for any help I can be as well.
Where are you from?

From upstate NY. Ive hiked up in the Adacks but will admit I do have asthma. As long as I take it slow I'm usually ok but the high elevation takes my lungs a few days to adjust. I went to Montana and was fine after 48 hours. What habitat is it there? Will I need a spotting scope?

I wanted to be at the expo but came down with the delta virus....im vaccinated but i guess somebody has to be in the 2% of "break-thru" cases. Im glad I was vaccinated, or I surely would be in the hospital right now...it was pretty ugly. Im about 90% thru it at this point. For those wanting to be antivaxxers......you are crazy and I will leave it at that.
That sucks man. Hope u get better. Id be more bored than anything. Ive been around so many people that have had it and never got it. It's my super blood type, lol.

Anyone know how much an outfitter cost on average? Of course its not listed on the website

No clue on cost, as most locals DIY it. But if you want to hire an outfitter I would recommend hiring elk county outfitters. They consistently put their clients on the biggest bulls killed every year.

Remember, you can always hunt in zone 1, which is open to any elk hunter in each season. Less elk maybe, but might be a better quality hunt and perhaps a better than you think bull. They dont only stay on private lands and it bumps up to zone 2 which has a high population of elk. Sometimes the fringe areas are the best...less pressure and still nice bulls.....but either way it would be with a guide since you likely cant spend time to physically scout it out. In addition, if you have asthma two things.....yes, those steep big mountains will be tough on you....but not nearly as tough on you as covid. this new variant WILL get you if you arent vaccinated and athsma will magnify it 5x. remember, its not covered by insurance anymore for the unvaccinated so if you end up in the hospital for awhile it will be financially disasterous.

Pm me your number. I have some info for you. I have a spot in zone 9. I had zone 4 last year and someone gave me a spot but it was in 9. Near driftwood north of 555. I also have # for a guide and locals. Good luck and congratulations.

Remember, you can always hunt in zone 1, which is open to any elk hunter in each season. Less elk maybe, but might be a better quality hunt and perhaps a better than you think bull. They dont only stay on private lands and it bumps up to zone 2 which has a high population of elk. Sometimes the fringe areas are the best...less pressure and still nice bulls.....but either way it would be with a guide since you likely cant spend time to physically scout it out. In addition, if you have asthma two things.....yes, those steep big mountains will be tough on you....but not nearly as tough on you as covid. this new variant WILL get you if you arent vaccinated and athsma will magnify it 5x. remember, its not covered by insurance anymore for the unvaccinated so if you end up in the hospital for awhile it will be financially disasterous.
It's a hunting site. Leave the stupid COVID talk to literally every other platform in existence right now. Had it. Wasn't shit. For some people it is, for others it isn't.

Crazy is a subjective term lol

Resurrecting this thread. Just drew (1 of 2) antlered tags for general season for zone 9... im still shaking. Looks to be only 28% public so I guess its time to start researching. Anyone else have luck? Anyone ever hunt zone 9?

Congratulations!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I know its a hunting site but there are some of us at a higher risk and I was being helpful. I see lots of things commented on, that arent hunting related. Sorry that I upset your apple cart.

skyline, my buddys cabin is in Driftwood and they been hunting that area for 60 years......ive been hunting it for deer and bear for about 5 years. I will see if I can get some useful info. for you as well.

Back