PA "Backcountry" hunting?

Go for it Jp. I spent many spring gobbler mornings running those ridges in my youth. You can still find spots far enough away from the road huggers to make it worth the trip.
As long as we are discussing establishments - is the Cockeyed Cricket still going?

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
Go for it Jp. I spent many spring gobbler mornings running those ridges in my youth. You can still find spots far enough away from the road huggers to make it worth the trip.
As long as we are discussing establishments - is the Cockeyed Cricket still going?
If I'm honest, I don't know. Haven't been up that way in longer than I care to admit.

Thanks for the blast from the past, though

There is a lot of room in the "PA Wilds" part of Pennsylvania. Don't be afraid to look around the Quehanna trail area of northern Clearfield County or the southern/eastern banks of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River north of Snow Shoe. There may be a camps in all of these areas but most hunters rarely get back in the woods anymore and most people don't hunt during the week.

You may not be able to get 3 miles off any roads but even a half mile off road will get you past 90% of hunters.

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
There is a lot of room in the "PA Wilds" part of Pennsylvania. Don't be afraid to look around the Quehanna trail area of northern Clearfield County or the southern/eastern banks of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River north of Snow Shoe. There may be a camps in all of these areas but most hunters rarely get back in the woods anymore and most people don't hunt during the week.

You may not be able to get 3 miles off any roads but even a half mile off road will get you past 90% of hunters.
I'll be up there in August and I might try to take an extra bit of time to do some backroadin and see what I can see from the cab or a short hike.

Lowg08

WKR
Just embrace it. Decide. I’m only going to big woods hunt til I figure it out. I did this. I did this with back country hunting and started archery only. I do make a few trips to Kentucky but it’s public land, archery and water access

My family has hunted and owned a camp in the wharton area of potter county since the late 1960s. I killed my first buck in northern cameron county in 1980.
They still pound those hills every yeat but i hunt the midwest and southwestern pa these days.
I can not emphasize how rough this country is or can be. A mere 500 yards off the road can be just about impossible to most.Deer densities are low but some quite large bucks are killed there every year. The deer are some of the wildest animals i have ever encountered in 50 years of hunting all over north america. By far......
Best of luck in your quest for a back country experience. You will find that for sure in this part of pennsylvania.

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
My family has hunted and owned a camp in the wharton area of potter county since the late 1960s. I killed my first buck in northern cameron county in 1980.
They still pound those hills every yeat but i hunt the midwest and southwestern pa these days.
I can not emphasize how rough this country is or can be. A mere 500 yards off the road can be just about impossible to most.Deer densities are low but some quite large bucks are killed there every year. The deer are some of the wildest animals i have ever encountered in 50 years of hunting all over north america. By far......
Best of luck in your quest for a back country experience. You will find that for sure in this part of pennsylvania.
I grew up in Austin, then just north of Wharton until about 1986 when we moved.

I wandered many miles up and down those hills, so I'm aware of what I'm getting myself into as far as terrain. Deer density is what it is.

As I've said previously in the thread, idc about taking a deer exactly. It's an 'adventure' or an 'experience' more than a hunt. I'd have better success with a bow in suburban Pittsburgh, but I'll have more fun chasing deer and 'hiding' from bear in the mountains.

Know of any good areas in PA to canoe in and hunt? I got 2 does with my recurve last yr on public land. Love doing it. Any rough spots on eastern half of state? Camping would be great, but not required

I grew up in Austin, then just north of Wharton until about 1986 when we moved.

I wandered many miles up and down those hills, so I'm aware of what I'm getting myself into as far as terrain. Deer density is what it is.

As I've said previously in the thread, idc about taking a deer exactly. It's an 'adventure' or an 'experience' more than a hunt. I'd have better success with a bow in suburban Pittsburgh, but I'll have more fun chasing deer and 'hiding' from bear in the mountains.
Hey Jp, I sent you a PM. Ive hunted potter county for that adventure and could recomend a few spots to check into.

I haven't yet. However, I'm planning a backpack trip into SW Virginia for a muzzleloader hunt in November '24....working out the details now with a buddy who lives back there. It'll be a long trip from N. Idaho. Looking forward to it.

nesqymatt

FNG
Know of any good areas in PA to canoe in and hunt? I got 2 does with my recurve last yr on public land. Love doing it. Any rough spots on eastern half of state? Camping would be great, but not required
I just saw this thread now so I apologize for the later reply. My brother in law and his friends take whitewater rafts through the Lehigh Gorge in Carbon County (from White Haven to Jim Thorpe) for 2nd week deer season. Most of the land is public and open to hunting. The west side of the Gorge is the state park with the biking trail. Hit the east side.

I just saw this thread now so I apologize for the later reply. My brother in law and his friends take whitewater rafts through the Lehigh Gorge in Carbon County (from White Haven to Jim Thorpe) for 2nd week deer season. Most of the land is public and open to hunting. The west side of the Gorge is the state park with the biking trail. Hit the east side.
How big are the rapids? I'm pretty sure I have biked the path that follows the river, but it's been awhile. Think a canoe could handle it?

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good remote areas for hunting in PA...many already mentioned in this thread. Just have to get out there and to it. For the past several years I've been going deep and packing out my animals. The opportunities are great!

nesqymatt

FNG
How big are the rapids? I'm pretty sure I have biked the path that follows the river, but it's been awhile. Think a canoe could handle it?

Between White Haven and Jim Thorpe, you would need a raft. The rapids are class 2 and 3 in that stretch. That is also the best stretch for big game - whitetail and black bear. If you call some of the outfitters, they may have used rafts for sale.

The owner of Whitewater Rafting Adventures in Nesquehoning is the one who does the whitewater hunt for rifle season. Give a call and ask for Steve. He may be able to give you some info. Good guy!

I would only take the canoe from Lehighton downriver. I kayaked that stretch for waterfowl and it's pretty tame in comparison. But the big game hunting is non existent on that southern stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My back yard turns into the Allegheny National Forest. Western part of the state though. I was a tanker as well that’s why I replied to ya going off your name.

Yes, but I'm looking at some areas of national forest that aren't exactly easy to access, even from roads.

Hammersley is a place I'd like to at least hike.

Not even dead set on Potter. There's a lot of woods up there.
Bradford County is good too..