PA "Backcountry" hunting?

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
It ain't Wyoming Wilderness or the high country of Colorado, but it's close to home for me and tags are OTC for everyone.

Anyone done a "backpack" hunting trip in the East? Looking specifically in the area of Potter County and have a few spots E-scouted in OnX.

Gotta get some boots on the ground this summer.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I started doing this last year. I go up with several guys who have been doing it for a believe 8 years at this point. I was the first one successful in harvesting a buck. Deer density is low as you’re aware and you can’t glass them so it’s a lot of hiking to find sign and getting setup. I immensely enjoyed it and will be doing it again this year.

Usually we only do 3-4 nights but I’m hoping to get up by myself a few nights prior or after we go just difficult being 3.5 hours from home.

One thing to keep in mind is the states different regulations per forest for camping. Some require camping in designated spots while others allow for setting up off trail without much worry they also added a permit system for backpacking camping last year, but honestly I need to familiarize myself with it better.

Jbogg

FNG
I hunt the Mountain of North GA and plan on doing more of this in the Fall. It’s a great way to access some NF in the mountains that doesn’t receive much hunting pressure.

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
I started doing this last year. I go up with several guys who have been doing it for a believe 8 years at this point. I was the first one successful in harvesting a buck. Deer density is low as you’re aware and you can’t glass them so it’s a lot of hiking to find sign and getting setup. I immensely enjoyed it and will be doing it again this year.

Usually we only do 3-4 nights but I’m hoping to get up by myself a few nights prior or after we go just difficult being 3.5 hours from home.

One thing to keep in mind is the states different regulations per forest for camping. Some require camping in designated spots while others allow for setting up off trail without much worry they also added a permit system for backpacking camping last year, but honestly I need to familiarize myself with it better.
I'm a PA resident who used to live in Potter county. I know the regs pretty well and, as far as hunting strategy, well, everything I do is usually wrong but I have a hell of a lot of fun doing it.

Probably go solo because I've had a heck of a time building a crew interested in that kind of hunting trip. Be super happy with a doe but settle for an adventure trip.

I hunt quite a bit in Potter County but it's only on private, not sure if I can offer much assistance for the style you're looking for. But it's plenty mountainous by eastern standards in that area for an adventure that's for sure.

It's big and wild looking, I never end up doing it though. Too much good whitetail hunting closer to home. Always wondered about the deer density in the big forests, when I tried hunting in NH I was stunned by how few deer there were. At that time, the PA county I grew up in killed more deer than the entire state of NH.

RS3579

WKR
I’ve never done an overnight backcountry PA trip. I have a camp south of Smethport in McKean county. It’s definitely big PA woods in that part of the state. All the drilling and logging now have a lot of roads available for vehicles.

Lowg08

WKR
Only ever worked in PA but only ever hunt big woods public land whitetail in WNC. My area has .46 bucks per square mile. In that case. Look for more historical sign than fresh sign. Also look into finding trees that produce acorns year after year. Dad calls them feed trees. I have a spot with one. It holds deer year round. Keep in mind 90% of the deer use 10% of the woods. Thick bedding area with feed and easy escape. I did find a place that holds does year round. So with that said. It always has bucks coming through during the rut. Never have pictures of any decent bucks until then but does everyday. The buck I killed this year never had a picture of.

Now for gear keep it light. Best warmth to weight and you find. Don’t skimp on boots. Buy a good pack and plan to go further. Plan on lots of sits with no sighting. So be comfortable so it’s not miserable.

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt quite a bit in Potter County but it's only on private, not sure if I can offer much assistance for the style you're looking for. But it's plenty mountainous by eastern standards in that area for an adventure that's for sure.
I grew up between Costello and Wharton. I'm reasonably familiar with the area.
Only ever worked in PA but only ever hunt big woods public land whitetail in WNC. My area has .46 bucks per square mile. In that case. Look for more historical sign than fresh sign. Also look into finding trees that produce acorns year after year. Dad calls them feed trees. I have a spot with one. It holds deer year round. Keep in mind 90% of the deer use 10% of the woods. Thick bedding area with feed and easy escape. I did find a place that holds does year round. So with that said. It always has bucks coming through during the rut. Never have pictures of any decent bucks until then but does everyday. The buck I killed this year never had a picture of.

Now for gear keep it light. Best warmth to weight and you find. Don’t skimp on boots. Buy a good pack and plan to go further. Plan on lots of sits with no sighting. So be comfortable so it’s not miserable.
My pack is literally 95% ready to roll. Strap on my sleeping bag, stuff some food and grab a rifle and I'm off to the races.

It's about the adventure, not a deer. Be thrilled to haul a yearling doe out.

Lowg08

WKR
I grew up between Costello and Wharton. I'm reasonably familiar with the area.

My pack is literally 95% ready to roll. Strap on my sleeping bag, stuff some food and grab a rifle and I'm off to the races.

It's about the adventure, not a deer. Be thrilled to haul a yearling doe out.
I shoot at the first legal deer I have in range. Just remember one miserable trip will have you thinking about quitting big woods hunting.

I do suggest thinking about not strapping your sleeping bag outside of the bag. It could get soaked in a surprise storm or ripped by accident and all the fill could fall out.

Macintosh

WKR
We hunt most years that way in the adirondacks. The hunting isnt any better usuallly, but I wouldnt miss it, its always one of the highlights of my season.

I am a pa resident but never hunted in potter. I can't speak for all of the state however alot of the areas have drivable roads within 1 mile of each other which will minimize the back country experience. There was a lot of advertisements around 20 years ago on this. The state wanted hunters to get back into these areas and wanted harvesting. Many roads were usually closed year round.

Now I think in the Allegheny national forest you may have less restrictions on camping though there are still plenty of roads. State gamelands prohibit camping. State forest land allows camping with restrictions (don't be in eye sight of a road...had the ranger waiting for me one year. Nice guy left me off with a warning). State parks only allow camping in their designated camp sites.

I think you will have a great time though. We have a good thing in Pennsylvania. Our heard has rebounded and great bucks are harvested every year. We also have giant black bears. I definitely would encourage you to plan for an archery buck/Bear hunt or a muzzleloader/Bear hunt. Now the muzzleloader hunt is for does only however this time gets you a lot of bang for you buck. I am not sure what the NR Bear tag cost however every year our top 10 bears are always over #600.

I hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
I am a pa resident but never hunted in potter. I can't speak for all of the state however alot of the areas have drivable roads within 1 mile of each other which will minimize the back country experience. There was a lot of advertisements around 20 years ago on this. The state wanted hunters to get back into these areas and wanted harvesting. Many roads were usually closed year round.

Now I think in the Allegheny national forest you may have less restrictions on camping though there are still plenty of roads. State gamelands prohibit camping. State forest land allows camping with restrictions (don't be in eye sight of a road...had the ranger waiting for me one year. Nice guy left me off with a warning). State parks only allow camping in their designated camp sites.

I think you will have a great time though. We have a good thing in Pennsylvania. Our heard has rebounded and great bucks are harvested every year. We also have giant black bears. I definitely would encourage you to plan for an archery buck/Bear hunt or a muzzleloader/Bear hunt. Now the muzzleloader hunt is for does only however this time gets you a lot of bang for you buck. I am not sure what the NR Bear tag cost however every year our top 10 bears are always over #600.

I hope this helps!

I hope this helps!

Yes, but I'm looking at some areas of national forest that aren't exactly easy to access, even from roads.

Hammersley is a place I'd like to at least hike.

Not even dead set on Potter. There's a lot of woods up there.

Macintosh

WKR
I dont know that area, but just go. Actually, go RIGHT NOW before everything greens up, and put in a 15 mile day exploring. Deer sign? Camping spot? Mark it on your gps then go in fall. Worst that happens is you have a great weekend camping and guarding the woods from some mythical deer. Or go turkey hunt out of a backpack for a weekend. What could you possibly have to lose?

Lowg08

WKR
My man, if taking 3 decades and change to lay hands on a buck isn't enough to make me quit, a rough weekend in the woods is no big deal.
Yup you are most definitely persistent. Sounds like your very difficult to detour from your goal too

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve lived in pa 98% of my life and have a camp in elk country. I am not sure how back country you can get these days here as there are a lot of roads as stated previously. However the deer population here is good and with some work on your part you should be able to see and harvest them. I encourage you to give it a whirl it’s a nice place (pa) and has a lot of opportunities for hunting and fishing.

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve lived in pa 98% of my life and have a camp in elk country. I am not sure how back country you can get these days here as there are a lot of roads as stated previously. However the deer population here is good and with some work on your part you should be able to see and harvest them. I encourage you to give it a whirl it’s a nice place (pa) and has a lot of opportunities for hunting and fishing.
There's a reason "backcountry" was put in quotes.

Yeah, very little isn't within an easy walk of a road. I'm not opposed to a difficult walk, but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
There's a reason "backcountry" was put in quotes.

Yeah, very little isn't within an easy walk of a road. I'm not opposed to a difficult walk, but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that.

Let me rephrase that. You can still be remote here and even places that are “populated” are still remote. Like I said a lot of opportunities here and the deer population is good (I’m sure there is better but I enjoy my pa hunting)