+P Throats

WKR

WKR
Anyone have experience or own a +p throated chamber?
What was your experience? Does it effect anything besides speed?
Does it change barrel life or have an effect on accuracy?
I'm thinking of doing a +P on a 25 creedmoor and want to hear from a few people who have done it to their rifles before I go down the rabbit hole.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I'm thinking of doing a +P on a 25 creedmoor and want to hear from a few people who have done it to their rifles before I go down the rabbit hole.
I've had lots of +P chamberings. 6UM, 6.5 PRC, 30 Nolser, a couple of 300 RUMs, 300 Terminator, 338 terminator, 338 EDGE

Yes, it affects barrel life, your burning more powder.

Accuracy has been great with mine except for one but I would blame the barrel not the chambering.

bmart2622

WKR
Im no expert but its my understanding that in order to get anything from the +P you need to be able to increase your powder charge, so if you're limited to factory ammo it wouldn't be worth doing

Reactions: NSI

Tullis94

WKR
Does the +P chamber have any effect if you are running factory ammo?

-J
It will make the velocity slower. You have to hand load if you +P because it takes more powder to get back up to normal pressures.

Reactions: NSI
OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I've had lots of +P chamberings. 6UM, 6.5 PRC, 30 Nolser, a couple of 300 RUMs, 300 Terminator, 338 terminator, 338 EDGE

Yes, it affects barrel life, your burning more powder.

Accuracy has been great with mine except for one but I would blame the barrel not the chambering.
What was your average velocity gains? On the 6UM, 6.5, and 30 nosler?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
The 6.5 PRC added 95 FPS over the standard throat.

The 30 Nosler shot a 215 Berger at 3020 with a 22” barrel.

Too early to tell on the 6UM. I’ve only had it a week.

To maximize the +p you have to increase powder capacity which will cause more heat which will decrease barrel life.

Are you trying to go with a short barrel length? I’ve had a couple 25 creedmoors both 26” and 2900+ with mild loads and 135 Berger’s and also 134eldm. Terminal effective range is already wayyyy out there.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Are you trying to go with a short barrel length? I’ve had a couple 25 creedmoors both 26” and 2900+ with mild loads and 135 Berger’s and also 134eldm. Terminal effective range is already wayyyy out there.
Yeah I want to go with a 22 or 24 inch plus can and still be around 2900 with the berger 133's

Yeah I want to go with a 22 or 24 inch plus can and still be around 2900 with the berger 133's
Gotcha. Don’t discount the 134 eldm. They’re shooting great in my new build and I trust them to expand better at lower impact than the Berger’s. Plus they’re cheaper.

If you go the +p route very interested to hear what your results are.

Reactions: WKR
OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Gotcha. Don’t discount the 134 eldm. They’re shooting great in my new build and I trust them to expand better at lower impact than the Berger’s. Plus they’re cheaper.

If you go the +p route very interested to hear what your results are.
I'll try the eldm and stick with whatever I can get to shoot best.

Will do!

CaptArab

FNG
Classified Approved
@Ryan Avery would I be dumb for doing a +p 223AI? Seems like it would give another 250 fps or so over a 223 with cheapo range pickup brass. Think 26" velocity out of a 16" 223.

Yes, I'm aware Arc, BR, GT, and Creed exist - I just like 223s 😊