over torqued screw on Leupold prw2

IslandBoi

FNG
I twisted the head off one of rails screws on my rings (was torqueing to 55in/lbs spec was to 25 ) screw.JPG
Obviously not optimal but is it insane to run it like this and expect it to hold zero and not have a high likely hood of the other screw busting off or wiggling loose in the middle of a hunt? its a braked 308 7lbs all up, seems like a retarded question and the obvious answer is just get new rings and remount but are there any other 1 screwers out there making it happen with 1 screw for a long duration of time with no other issues?

Kyguy

FNG
Take the ring apart to see how deep it broke off. You might be able to grab the stub with vice grips with the clamp removed and extract it. Then all you need is a new screw. And there's a reason the spec was 25 in lbs. If you want a stronger clamp, get different rings. You've went to all the trouble to get a nice scope and torque everything, now you want to know if you can fly with a half secured ring and hope it works. That doesn't make sense to me.

OP
I

IslandBoi

FNG
Take the ring apart to see how deep it broke off. You might be able to grab the stub with vice grips with the clamp removed and extract it. Then all you need is a new screw. And there's a reason the spec was 25 in lbs. If you want a stronger clamp, get different rings. You've went to all the trouble to get a nice scope and torque everything, now you want to know if you can fly with a half secured ring and hope it works. That doesn't make sense to me.
thx, and yea I thought they were 55lb in my head until I broke one and checked :) yea I wanna know if I can fly with 1 screw

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
That’s a bummer.

Sounds crazy, but I’ve epoxied part of a cut off round toothpick to a broken screw and it held enough to back it out - just don’t get glue in the threads and make it worse. Lol

Go on Amazon and buy left handed drill bits - it sounds weird, but as they drill they are constantly trying to unscrew the broken screw - often a good quality screw without rust will just back right out. A 3/32” size drill bit is what I’d start with, then 7/64. I’d bet lunch that would back it out unless thread locker was used. If thread locker was used you’d have to heat the mount to boiling water temp and still use the left hand thread bits.

OP
I

IslandBoi

FNG
That’s a bummer.

Sounds crazy, but I’ve epoxied part of a cut off round toothpick to a broken screw and it held enough to back it out - just don’t get glue in the threads and make it worse. Lol

Go on Amazon and buy left handed drill bits - it sounds weird, but as they drill they are constantly trying to unscrew the broken screw - often a good quality screw without rust will just back right out. A 3/32” size drill bit is what I’d start with, then 7/64. I’d bet lunch that would back it out unless thread locker was used. If thread locker was used you’d have to heat the mount to boiling water temp and still use the left hand thread bits.
thx!

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
Call Leupold customer service. They will take care of you.

I cracked the side plate on one prw ring and called to buy a new one. The gentleman sent me two, with screws.

Just call and tell them what happened. They have parts available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
Also, if you haven’t yet, pull the scope off and take off that side plate. I’m guessing there might be plenty of that screw sticking out to grab it with something and get it out. Then you just need a new screw, not parts of a ring.

OP
I

IslandBoi

FNG
Call Leupold customer service. They will take care of you.

I cracked the side plate on one prw ring and called to buy a new one. The gentleman sent me two, with screws.

Just call and tell them what happened. They have parts available.

ty brother , I would call them but it was my own fault torqueing them double spec :)

I had some rings that corroded on an old Leupold scope I inherited and was worried about stripping/shearing the hardware removing. I sent the scope and rings into Leupold with a request to remove. They did it, no problem. Similar issue here even if it's a Trijicon scope

OP
I

IslandBoi

FNG
I had some rings that corroded on an old Leupold scope I inherited and was worried about stripping/shearing the hardware removing. I sent the scope and rings into Leupold with a request to remove. They did it, no problem. Similar issue here even if it's a Trijicon scope
thx brother , I can get them off fine, but I had everything leveled perfectly for once so was considering just trying to rock it with one screw so I didnt have to remount it. Might just shoot it for awhile for fun to see how long it will hold zero like that.

Jethro

WKR
Get it out and put a new screw in. Why experiment with how long it will hold zero? Suppose it holds until the day before your hunt starts?