Outstanding hunt w/ Tok Air

Santa

FNG
Wanted to share that we had an awesome hunt experience using Tok Air in early-mid Sept. We simply could not have been in a better place at a better time. Saw thousands of caribou well within range, had plenty of shooters to choose from, and easily scored 2 nice bulls. We did have to ride out a couple of days in the tent in 40-60mph winds/hail/sleet/snow…but also had some gorgeous bluebird days. Saw bears but had no issues. Talked to several other groups of hunters in Tok around the same time and found that many either didn’t see many ‘bou; only had the option of shooting small bulls; had bear problems…or all 3. Knowing lots of other folks who’ve also done drop ‘Bou hunts both in Tok and elsewhere, I am totally aware that that we had amazing luck. To say I’m very thankful for our good fortune is putting it mildly.

At the risk of folks turning this into yet another Tok vs. 40 mile thread, I must say that we found Zack to be a very professional, safe, and respectful pilot. And clearly, he couldn’t have put us in a better spot. For the record, we ran into several 40mile pilots in a staging area and they were all just as friendly as could be. I’d expect nothing less based on their great reputation. We simply chose to go w/ Zack based on availability and 100% positive references from people who’ve hunted w/ him before. We also got to visit w/ one of his moose hunters that was there @ the same time as us and he scored a very nice bull.

Many lessons learned re: gear/packing/etc. I really want to thank this board and so many individual members for answering lots of questions and giving so much good advice. You guys really helped us properly prepare for the hunt. In the spirit of paying it forward, anyone can feel free to contact me if they have questions or need advice.

A few quick parting thoughts based on our experience:

-50lb Weight limit be damned…bring a spotting scope.
-You need a water filter. You just do. And do not trust a Steripen as your only choice
-Yes a Tipi can survive 60mph sustained winds for 24 hours…but it’s a rough ride and you’re going to take some tears. I’d argue the comfort factor it provided for the bulk of the trip was well worth it.
-You can buy shelf-stable Ghee (clarified butter) in individual ketchup-sized packs (in many grocery stores or online). These things are game changers! Not only can they add much needed calories to freeze-dried meals,?they are KILLER for frying up that caribou heart and loin in the field. And they weigh virtually nothing and take up no space.

Wishing all you a safe and successful remainder of your hunting seasons!

Homer

FNG
Sounds like a fun hunt. I looked at the Tok Air website and noticed they no longer market their trips as hunts in anyway. It seems weird to market their fly out trips as “adventures and wildlife viewing opportunities” as opposed to hunts. Just curious if they are still flying and charging as hunt transporters or do they just charge for fly out trips by flight time? Let’s see some photos, it’s some cool country up there.

Movi

FNG
I couldn't help but look after you made this comment. He must have some sort of work around by doing it that way, because it appears the SOA agrees that he's no longer a transporter. I'm also a big fan of pictures! Congrats on the successful trip!
View attachment 462718
Tok Air is an air taxi so he can legally still drop off hunters but he cannot advertise hunts. He also can’t raise his rates for hunting. So if he charges 350 a flight hour for a glacier flight seeing tour he must charge the same to drop off hunters. Since he knows his strips and time it takes to get there and back I’m sure he’s can basically keep operating as before but not pay the associated fees transporters have to pay.

I could be wrong on some of the above but that is how it was explained to me….

Homer

FNG
Tok Air is an air taxi so he can legally still drop off hunters but he cannot advertise hunts. He also can’t raise his rates for hunting. So if he charges 350 a flight hour for a glacier flight seeing tour he must charge the same to drop off hunters. Since he knows his strips and time it takes to get there and back I’m sure he’s can basically keep operating as before but not pay the associated fees transporters have to pay.

I could be wrong on some of the above but that is how it was explained to me….

I believe you are are correct on everything. I know when he was a hunt transporter his prices were pretty steep compared to some of the other local hunt transporters. If he can only charge based off total flying time it might make his caribou trips a relative bargain since all of the flying should be within an hour or two of cub time from tok.

For the original poster was the hunt price based off of flight time?

Roughout

FNG
We likely met on a staging strip as you were headed out, our group was headed in.

Couldn’t agree more with your experience with Zach. He did a fantastic job all around for us as well. Except a spork that’s went missing!

Now seeing the activity in and around staging strips etc., it makes a lot of sense how wires get crossed, drama starts, and rumors spread.

At end of the day, zach is working his tail off to make a living and helping make a lot of peoples dreams come true. He was very enjoyable and I plan to fly with him again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe you are are correct on everything. I know when he was a hunt transporter his prices were pretty steep compared to some of the other local hunt transporters. If he can only charge based off total flying time it might make his caribou trips a relative bargain since all of the flying should be within an hour or two of cub time from tok.

For the original poster was the hunt price based off of flight time?
Based of the info I received he is still charging transporter rates and then some.

Jdeck09

FNG
Wanted to share that we had an awesome hunt experience using Tok Air in early-mid Sept. We simply could not have been in a better place at a better time. Saw thousands of caribou well within range, had plenty of shooters to choose from, and easily scored 2 nice bulls. We did have to ride out a couple of days in the tent in 40-60mph winds/hail/sleet/snow…but also had some gorgeous bluebird days. Saw bears but had no issues. Talked to several other groups of hunters in Tok around the same time and found that many either didn’t see many ‘bou; only had the option of shooting small bulls; had bear problems…or all 3. Knowing lots of other folks who’ve also done drop ‘Bou hunts both in Tok and elsewhere, I am totally aware that that we had amazing luck. To say I’m very thankful for our good fortune is putting it mildly.

At the risk of folks turning this into yet another Tok vs. 40 mile thread, I must say that we found Zack to be a very professional, safe, and respectful pilot. And clearly, he couldn’t have put us in a better spot. For the record, we ran into several 40mile pilots in a staging area and they were all just as friendly as could be. I’d expect nothing less based on their great reputation. We simply chose to go w/ Zack based on availability and 100% positive references from people who’ve hunted w/ him before. We also got to visit w/ one of his moose hunters that was there @ the same time as us and he scored a very nice bull.

Many lessons learned re: gear/packing/etc. I really want to thank this board and so many individual members for answering lots of questions and giving so much good advice. You guys really helped us properly prepare for the hunt. In the spirit of paying it forward, anyone can feel free to contact me if they have questions or need advice.

A few quick parting thoughts based on our experience:

-50lb Weight limit be damned…bring a spotting scope.
-You need a water filter. You just do. And do not trust a Steripen as your only choice
-Yes a Tipi can survive 60mph sustained winds for 24 hours…but it’s a rough ride and you’re going to take some tears. I’d argue the comfort factor it provided for the bulk of the trip was well worth it.
-You can buy shelf-stable Ghee (clarified butter) in individual ketchup-sized packs (in many grocery stores or online). These things are game changers! Not only can they add much needed calories to freeze-dried meals,?they are KILLER for frying up that caribou heart and loin in the field. And they weigh virtually nothing and take up no space.

Wishing all you a safe and successful remainder of your hunting seasons!
Glad you had a great hunt! How far out in advance did you have to book Tok air?

sao2827

FNG
going on this hunt in September with Tok. Would like to connect to discuss lessons learned/gear, etc if you're willing....

Scott

Bambistew

WKR
going on this hunt in September with Tok. Would like to connect to discuss lessons learned/gear, etc if you're willing....

Scott
for caribou? Very good chance it won't even be open if so. Moose populations in the area are down 50% or more from two years ago. Last winter also had a crap ton of snow. Hunting will be tough. Good luck, cool country and it will be an adventure, for sure!

sao2827

FNG
for caribou? Very good chance it won't even be open if so. Moose populations in the area are down 50% or more from two years ago. Last winter also had a crap ton of snow. Hunting will be tough. Good luck, cool country and it will be an adventure, for sure!
yes, Caribou. Ive heard some rumblings but want to get census update first before I pivot.

VernAK

WKR
The 40 Mile aerial photo census was conducted last week and biologists are reviewing the results at this time....no small job. The holiday and staff changes may slow the process.

The herd was primarily in Yukon Territory during the photo census.

Preliminary reports indicate calving was about normal with calf weights being good but predation is high.

sao2827

FNG
The 40 Mile aerial photo census was conducted last week and biologists are reviewing the results at this time....no small job. The holiday and staff changes may slow the process.

The herd was primarily in Yukon Territory during the photo census.

Preliminary reports indicate calving was about normal with calf weights being good but predation is high.
thanks for the info. any idea when quota numbers will be released?