Outserts and Targets

wramos

FNG
Looking for experience with outserts/collars and targets.

Recently started using Gold Tip Kinetic with the collar. Like the arrows so far but when I started using my Huriricane Bag target I quickly realized it was very difficult to pull the arrows out. It is definitely the collar catching. I’ve removed the field tip and collar and they slide right out. It makes it much less fun with how difficult it is to pull the arrows out.

Does anyone have experience with a bag target that works with outserts or collars? Is foam the answer?

I like bag targets because they are usually easy to pull arrows out.

Foam will generally be easier as it will bend, flex, and stretch whereas bag materials tend to be more rigid. Layered foam targets, depending on brand, can be a good compromise between ease of pulling and durability. Also, since you can't broadhead tune on a bag, a foam target gives you that functionality as well.

That's an additional pia with any outsert, even some halfouts will have a bit of a lip, collars pretty much always grab. All bag targets are going to grab them.

Layered foam works fine with them, it doesn't care. Problem is unless you make a jump to get a giant one, they get shot out quickly.

A regular foam target might be your best bet. Rinehart makes one that has a replaceable core I believe.
Edit: I had one here a few years ago that I thought the center core could be pulled from, but I don't see it on their site. Looks like they are all one and done, so need to shoot spots.

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely takes a little more effort, but I just go with the “yank it out” method. If you can get a little speed the outserts will kind of pop out of the bag as opposed to just slowly pulling and trying to muscle it out. On my foam target it’s much nicer as others have said.

jmez

WKR
Welcome to the wonderful world of outserts! Foam is the answer. If you shoot the gold tips into the bag enough the outserts will start peeling down from the top. They will also get packed with a tiny bits of material from the bag/target and you won't be able to get the off without considerable effort.

Reactions: Zac
OP
W

wramos

FNG
I appreciate the experience. Wanted to make sure there wasn’t a magical bag target or something I was doing wrong. Sounds like foam is the way to go. I’ve needed one for broad heads, but sounds like I will go with that exclusively.

Yobrevol

FNG
For foam targets I like the morrell high roller and 365 archery 24" with replaceable core. Rinehart also makes good targets.

OP
W

wramos

FNG
I’ve never heard of 365 Archery target. Thanks for that those look interesting. I ordered a block infinity, so hope that’s pretty durable, stops well and is relative easy to pull.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I’m shooting VPA collars on FMJs into a range of targets, Cabela’s bag, a Matrix and a couple Rineharts.
The bag does make a pop when you pull, but nothing terrible. Pulling from the Matrix and Rineharts is MUCH easier. If fact, Matrix recommends using a bulge point for ease of pull.

Give the arrow a twist when the outsert starts to hang up, and continue to twist it all the same direction as you pull. Works well for me with Firenock outserts on Easton Carbon Injexions shot into a Morrell Range Bag Target. And once the target is shot for a while it gets much easier as well.

Syng2015

FNG
Looking for experience with outserts/collars and targets.

Recently started using Gold Tip Kinetic with the collar. Like the arrows so far but when I started using my Huriricane Bag target I quickly realized it was very difficult to pull the arrows out. It is definitely the collar catching. I’ve removed the field tip and collar and they slide right out. It makes it much less fun with how difficult it is to pull the arrows out.

Does anyone have experience with a bag target that works with outserts or collars? Is foam the answer?

I like bag targets because they are usually easy to pull arrows out.
I've had plenty that gave me trouble, but I switched glue for my outserts (micro diameter, outsert only) and there's a tiny ring of the thicker glue at the base of the outsert left. Haven't had an issue since.

JDZ

WKR
For my target arrows, I went with HIT and Deep Six field tips on my X-Impact arrows. I added length to the shaft, and then decreased the total component weight slightly to get the same total weight and FOC as the hunting arrows with outsert or collar system.

The HIT and flush field tip is so much nicer in bag targets, foam, and 3D targets. They stop better too, because you get better resistance on the shaft.

OP
W

wramos

FNG
Building a target only arrow is an option. I would be concerned about gluing the outserts. That’s a big commitment not being certain it would work.

Are outserts worth the hassle?

I just got a 365 target and love it so far. Field points are easy to pull. I shot 1 samurai broadhead into the block and it cut the foam pretty good. Curious how it’ll hold up when it gets heavy broadhead use

dkime

WKR
Am I the only one who has better luck pulling outsertted shafts from 3d targets in comparison to my 3d shafts? The foam doesnt melt to my hunting shafts compared to the 3d shafts

OP
W

wramos

FNG
Am I the only one who has better luck pulling outsertted shafts from 3d targets in comparison to my 3d shafts? The foam doesnt melt to my hunting shafts compared to the 3d shafts
It’d only be a guess but maybe your 3d arrows are lighter and faster compared to your hunting shafts. More speed means more heat, friction and melting. I only have one set of arrows so I don’t have more comparable experience.

dkime

WKR
It’d only be a guess but maybe your 3d arrows are lighter and faster compared to your hunting shafts. More speed means more heat, friction and melting. I only have one set of arrows so I don’t have more comparable experience.

My SuperDrives are only moving at 265 from my TRX while my Day Six shafts are moving at 274 from my V3X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My SuperDrives are only moving at 265 from my TRX while my Day Six shafts are moving at 274 from my V3X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just an Easton thing.

I use Woody's arrow lube.
Really does seem to be an easton surface thing, I find Axis hard to pull as well, but a bulge on the tip always helps so might be something to the outsert thing too.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
a quick yank/jerk will usually have them pop out. I'm shooting Airstrikes which are very similar to yours. I have a bag target behind my paper tune rack. Other than that, Block target would work better.