Outfitters banning bergers?!

So far my only experience with animals and bergers is the 87 vld in 6 creed…several hogs a coyote and 6-8 deer and none have took a single step…so looking at using the 108 and 140 elite hunter in 6 and 6.5 creed and the 168 vld hunter in 7 prc.

Yesterday I saw a post about a Berger 175 in 7mm that had killed an elk and one commenter was an outfitter and he refused to guide for anyone that shot Berger….so I asked him why and he said due to not recovering animals that were hit very well. And he said Brian litz cares nothing about the internal ballistics after hitting a animal only external ballistics of the bullet. Looking around at caribou hunt options ground a guide that has in their contract no Berger bullets….what is everyone’s results…I know any bullet could potentially fail at any given moment due to mfg issues or really anything. Are they shooting behind the recommended velocity requirement to make them work…I’m just curious…I still plan on using them and doing my own research.

nobody

WKR
Yeah, any outfitter that has an arbitrary ban on specific cartridges/calibers/projectiles is just publicly showcasing their lack of understanding of bullet performance or external/internal ballistics of any kind. IMO, it just makes it easier to narrow in on who I shouldn’t hire should the need arise for an outfitter.

I wish I still had pictures of a berger we found in an opposite shoulder of a bull. It was clogged with hair and bever opened. I have seen a pile of dead animals shot with berger, but I have also seen some less than stellar results. I know guys were drilling out the tips trying to get them to expand. We had the opposite on a few elk, entrance, then grenade. The elk died quick, but 0 blood trail. One of the bulls ran 150 or so yards into a thicket and it took us over 3 hours to locate him. 0.0 blood. Luckily, as we always do when shooting at animals, we had multiple guys watching and we all concluded he was hit well. Had we not had guys watching, I would suspect some guys would have concluded it was a clean miss.

I still shoot bergers in some guns, but have slowly moved over to other bullets ( eld-m or x )

Freedom of choice in this country is a beautiful thing. It is their business and if they want to cut their available pool of clients down, by all means do so. No different than plenty of ranches or outfitters banning mechanical broadheads.

Last edited:
I've killed a lot of animals with 185 bergers out of a 300 WSM and 215 bergers out of a 300 WM. Never had an issue with anything not being recovered with them.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My small sample size of 4 elk, 2 caribou, 1 mule deer, 3 blacktail, 3 Coues deer shot with my 7mm 180 vld hunters are complete successes. My sample size of 1 Coues and 1 caribou with 25 cal 133 were no different.

I know some use the Berger target bullets with thicker jackets.

I wanna know how someone determined it was a Berger and not a SMK or other.

Guides do what they do and have the right to be biased. They would be better off banning crappy shooters than Bergers…

hunterjmj

WKR
Everything I've killed up to this year since 2016 was with a 215 hybrid out of a 300wm. Never a loss. About half were drt and the others didn't go more than 30 yards. I'm using the 223 this year with eldm's and 77tmks. Have a couple cow tags and a buck tag. No doubt they'll kill just as well.

Never hunted with an outfitter and don't plan to so I don't have to worry about it. For those that do, i'd just look elsewhere or talk to the outfitter about your experiences. 🤷‍♂️
Imagine what they'd think showing up with a 223 on an elk hunt.

Last edited:

S-3 ranch

WKR
I had a outfitter tell me I had to shoot a nosler partition in my 300wm instead of my normal federal classic 180gr , I ignored that and hammered a elk & bear both DRT , he wasn’t amused after I told him my interbond bullet was a good bullet and the shot placement was the key.
I don’t like the eldx but people are killing stuff so I don’t know , shoot what you want and prepare to lose some game if you can’t make the shots

hiker270

WKR
Had 1 outfitter in Colorado that specified no Berger bullets for his Elk hunts. His story was too many elk were not recovered mostly due to less than desirable bullet placement. Didn't matter to me I use Nosler Accubonds in both my 300 win mag and 7 PRC. I have also seen an Instagram podcast that a guide in Colorado said the outfitter he worked for specified no Berger bullets. Guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

nobody

WKR
I had a outfitter tell me I had to shoot a nosler partition in my 300wm instead of my normal federal classic 180gr , I ignored that and hammered a elk & bear both DRT , he wasn’t amused after I told him my interbond bullet was a good bullet and the shot placement was the key.
I don’t like the eldx but people are killing stuff so I don’t know , shoot what you want and prepare to lose some game if you can’t make the shots
Good on you, I would’ve fired him the moment he threw something like that out. Hopefully he opened his eyes a tiny bit and changed his views on future hunts (doubt it).

Flyjunky

WKR
I always love the comment about not recovering an animal but was sure it was a good shot….how do they know for sure?

It’s funny, I moved over to Bergers over a decade ago after having a ttsx Barnes pencil through on more than one occasion. To each their own I guess.