Outdoor Work Pants

Been surveying 20+ years. Pants evolution started with Tru-spec 24/7 cargo pants. Moved to some Eddie Bauer pants which can be had at decent prices with sales. Have moved onto the wrangler ATG series due to cheaper cost and honestly a better product. ATG has double front pants like Carhart and fleece lined pants that have changed cold weather for me.

Chaps are the only thing that will stand up to the heavy brush or surplus goretex over pants are pretty durable too.

JMorgan

FNG
I have had good luck with First Tactical V2 pants. I’ve had couple pairs for three years now I’ve used mostly for hunting. So far they’re holding up and not too expensive at approximately $50.

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
Wrangler Riggs Ranger pants. Love mine. Great for dry climates and conditions. Not so fun when wet (cotton).

I am also a surveyor.

My most worn pants are a pair of arborwear canopy. Second most are kuiu attack. I also recently wore out a pair of 5.11 quest pants.

I really liked the 5.11's but only got about six months out of them. They are basically a stretch material with a non-stretch heavier cotton face, similar to a double layer Carhartt duck canvas. The front slash pocket was also nice for plots, etc.

The arborwear canopy are almost indestructible. They have another model with reinforced knees and seat that I haven't worn.

OP
S

Sbrannon

FNG
Classified Approved
I am also a surveyor.

My most worn pants are a pair of arborwear canopy. Second most are kuiu attack. I also recently wore out a pair of 5.11 quest pants.

I really liked the 5.11's but only got about six months out of them. They are basically a stretch material with a non-stretch heavier cotton face, similar to a double layer Carhartt duck canvas. The front slash pocket was also nice for plots, etc.

The arborwear canopy are almost indestructible. They have another model with reinforced knees and seat that I haven't worn.

I’ve debated ordering a pair of kuiu attacks for work. I have worn my cheap hiking pants all week and I have loved them compared to jeans. Much more comfortable and stretchy and just wear thermals under on really cold mornings seems to have made a massive difference. Might just order a camo pair and a brown or ash pair for work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahenry82

FNG
I love my kuiu attacks but they will start pulling threads goin through heavy brush

BulldogCE

FNG
I always wore Filson tin cloth or double tins when surveying or cutting line. Durable and tough, they where the only pants that would last.

Vaultman

WKR
I am a land surveyor also. Man I never knew there were so many surveyors on here. I am mainly an office guy now, but for the past 7 years (maybe more) I've been wearing Duluth Flex Firehose. Other than hunting, they are the only pants I wear (work, home, church). I am not sure if they were daily worn doing field work that our crews do, but I love them for my, mostly office job.
They somewhat regularly have 20% off and sometimes 30. They cost a bit for overseas manufacturing, IMHO, but I haven't found anything better.
I'd love to find something the same from a 100% American made / sourced company. I'd be willing to pay the difference but haven't been in the need recently.

Rt_nevada

FNG
I’m also a land surveyor and wear prana zions or the wrangler hiking pants from target that are about 20$ a pair. I’m in the Nevada desert so the hiking pants are great in the hot summers, and the stretch of them is awesome when kneeing down to check a monument.

limpet

FNG
Coastal forester here. Wrangler Riggs, wild a$$ jeans, or prison blues are the top pants for our crew and the loggers we work with. Prison blues are better cut for thinner thighed guys. Keys are also a pretty tough option.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
I used to do it myself years ago nothing like having a bush axe to chop line for thousands of feet cutting down small trees and finding yellow jackets lol Or carrying the top con over your head through water. I vote the wranglers outdoor pants as well cheap and do pretty good your just over 100 for 5 pairs so no big loss.

Well Gents-sounds like its time to start a survey subforum! I like fancy hunting gear, but I cant imagine using Kuiu for work. I do love when stuff for work lines up with my hobbies though.

I'm a field coordinator for a environmental engineering firm. Supposed to be a inside guy, but being in charge of scheduling I keep myself in the field at least 50 percent.

OP
S

Sbrannon

FNG
Classified Approved
Update 1: I bought kuiu Attacks since they were on sale and have been wearing them all week. Easily the most comfortable pants I’ve worked in and seem durable. Mostly done construction staking but ran some PL staking through woods earlier this week after rain and they kept me dry and warm enough. The hip vents will be a game changer in summer.

Will give more updates on this thread as I get more use out of them when we start doing more boundaries. If they last, I will happily continue to buy them

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I have the kuiu katana pants and firstlite sawbuck both are really good at holding up to abuse. The kuiu I have as a camo hunting pant for active warm weather hunts and the sawbucks I have in a solid as my outdoor work pant

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Shane802

FNG
Arborwear canopy are amazing pants, I use them for work everyday and they hold up extremely well. The only cuts and holes in them are from my hand saw or on the left side from where my chainsaw sits. Again great pants but they are expensive.

Jimss

WKR
I work outside for my job and am super tough on regular Levi’s. I mostly wear carharts now. Carharts are available in breathable summer to winter insulated models. They wear really well and take a lot of abuse.