Outdoor sprinkler PVB

Ucsdryder

WKR
My PVB finally gave it up and I have a split in the copper.

Is my best bet to replicate the current setup?

I don’t know how to solder copper, would a shark bite work if I just cut it off? I can’t tell if it’s all soldered or if some of it’s threaded? Even if threaded I’m not sure I can get it apart. Can I learn to solder? Or is it a pain?

Here’s the replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_1716.jpeg
    IMG_1716.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 95

GSPHUNTER

WKR
There is a union in the riser on the left, and the valve is threaded so just take it apart and replace with like valve. Like Fire- 9 said soldering is real easy. Sand split area, coat with soldering flux and heat copper until solder start to flow. Don't over heat copper. Use 95/5 solder. s It's time you learned.

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
Watch a youtube video. Soldering is not hard. Get everything super clean and dont overheat. Solder follows heat.

Beendare

WKR
Usually what fails on those PVB's is the plastic parts on the inside when they freeze which just requires disassembly. Those need to be covered with an insulated cover...or drained down below grade in winter to protect against freezing.

So it was the copper pipe going Ito the PVB that cracked?

Sharkbites are great fittings- yeah they work....but soldering is easy once you know how.

Edit- somehow I missed your photo....you can get parts for that backflow at the local irrigation wholesaler...and pipe insulation

Last edited:

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
Both of those ball valves are screwed pipe. Take union apart. Screw off everything at the lower ball valve. Take busted back flow preventer off and screw on all the pipe on the new one. Screw it back on and reconnect the union.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
You guys are motivating. Got all the stuff to solder, I’ll do it tomorrow. YouTube made it look easy enough for a cave man.

I was able to repair the internals on the PVB as well.

Will my basic torch on a Coleman propane canister heat the pipe enough to solder?

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
And blow it out next fall. You even have the air line inlet already.
First year I didn’t blow it. Every year nothing comes out of the sprinklers because my yard is on a slight slope. Apparently I still need to blow.

Fire_9

WKR
You guys are motivating. Got all the stuff to solder, I’ll do it tomorrow. YouTube made it look easy enough for a cave man.

Will my basic torch on a Coleman propane canister heat the pipe enough to solder?

Good to hear man. Yeah that torch will be just fine.

Should still blow it out every year, from inside the house through the whole system. Or drain it down from below the backflow preventer into the house, but blowing it out is best. You may not have a big enough compressor if not getting anything out of the system. I am guessing that you do run your timer through for at least 3 min for each zone on the control box, or open each zone manually.

CorbLand

WKR

1713064147552.gif

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Let the copper get hot enough to allow solder to flow when it touches the pipe. Don't melt the solder onto the pipe. The solder should not be in the flame. That is a common mistake. One last thing, make sure ALL water is out of line, or it won't get hot enough.

Last edited:

11boo

WKR
Hey Ucs, I’m guessing that supply line goes into the crawl space?

I put a shut off in my crawl, with a regular hose bib in between the shut off and the exterior. It lets me drain the last bit of water from that PBV into the crawler.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Hey Ucs, I’m guessing that supply line goes into the crawl space?

I put a shut off in my crawl, with a regular hose bib in between the shut off and the exterior. It lets me drain the last bit of water from that PBV into the crawler.
What’s weird is that it goes into my basement and I have a drain there. I drained it into a bucket. I’m wondering how it had water in a vertical line that was drained.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Weird. In that case take the union part and see if that drains the line, you need to let air in to drain the water out. I have had take a section of plastic tube and siphoned the water out.