Outdoor Adventure Book Recommendation

OP
Gen273

Gen273

WKR
Thanks, guys! I am loading up my kindle with all of the available suggested titles.

Voyageur

WKR
Lots of good recommendations on here. I will add a few that I don't think were mentioned.
"Alaska Raw"
"Denali's Howl"
"Shadows on the Koyukuk"
Edit to add:
"The Final Frontiersman"

Guy’s
I am looking for recommendations for a new book to read. I am looking for something in outdoor adventure non-fiction. I prefer a book with bear hunting and back country wilderness or an Alaskan setting. Thanks in advance!!
doesn't fit all of your criteria, but if it hasn't been mentioned, "the river why" is my favorite book of all time

ahlgringo

WKR
Tagged

I have been on a settling of the Ohio river drainage kick lately- but these look like a good change up.

Btw
The Frontiersmen
Blood and Treasure
And a Dark and Bloody River are all worth a read if you are into the Boone and Kenton stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Del Cameron provides a look into hound hunting from a time when the western US was a different place. A pioneer of a sport that almost doesn't exist today. A good read even if you have never had the pleasure to chase a pack of hounds through the mountains.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Not exactly what you were looking for, but I can't recommend HW Tilman enough. Probably the single greatest adventurer of the 20th century, also a very good and dryly funny writer.

He served in WW1 as an artilleryman, then spent 10 years coffee farming in Kenya, rode a bicycle across Africa in 1930, spent the next ten years pioneering exploration of the Himalaya including first finding a route to Nanda Devi and then climbing it (the highest mountain yet climbed at the time). When WWII broke out he re-enlisted, took part in Dunkirk, Iraq, and the end of the North African Campaign, before getting parachuted into first Albania and then northern Italy to be a liaison with the partisans, getting chased around by the Germans while also climbing any mountain he came across. After that he returned to the Himalaya and was one of the first westerners to visit Nepal, including Namche Bazar and the south side of Everest. Finding the Himalaya getting too crowded and himself getting too old, he bough a 45 foot sail boat, sailed it from England to Patagonia and made the first crossing of the Patagonian ice cap, and then proceeded to spend the next 25 years pioneering small boat sailing to high latitudes, sinking two boats along the way, before being lost at sea at the age of 78.

Along the way, he wrote 15 very good books about all this. Any of them are good, but I'd recommend Mischief Goes South, about a 13 month sail to Antarctica, essentially, with a nearly mutinous crew of misfits, and Where Men And Mountain Meet, which covers his exploration of the Assam Himalaya, including 2 weeks laid out by malaria at 14,000 feet in the remote mountains, and then his wartime experiences.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
*caveat: I just started reading this, but so far I really like it. It was recommended to me after I made a similar inquiry into the same he genre.

"The sun is a compass"
It's about a 4,000 mile trek by a husband and wife from Bellingham, WA to Kotzebue, AK all under human power.

Last edited: