out of the <1 club :)

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Guys- much appreciated!

What 7x scope were you using?
It's a Leupold VX 2-7x, sadly discontinued. I had a Swaro 3.5-10 that was supposed to go (on another rifle), ran into a problem with the rifle, so I figured I'd swap the Swaro on the Kimber. Did that only to find the scope floating in the mount- the Swaro was 1", the Leupy 30 mm- doh! The little 2-7 did fine and it's a scope I have used a ton, so all good :)

Well done Mike! SO happy for you!

Do you have a gear list of what you took? Anything you’d change? Love your emergency overnight bivy system.
I brought a Helinox chair (16 oz) and thought I'd make the guides jealous when we were on the "beach", no so much when I sank into the ground :D

https://lighterpack.com/r/t5541l

I think the guides might be adding a few bits for their next siwash

Congrats on a great hunt and thank you for a great write up. But... this is the Rokslide we need a gear list and review as well!!!

I was very pleased (and grateful) my gear choices were much spot on. I brought one of the newer Sitka EVO jackets and wore it everyday, going to write up a review on it soon :) gear list above

jofes

WKR
Thanks Guys- much appreciated!

It's a Leupold VX 2-7x, sadly discontinued. I had a Swaro 3.5-10 that was supposed to go (on another rifle), ran into a problem with the rifle, so I figured I'd swap the Swaro on the Kimber. Did that only to find the scope floating in the mount- the Swaro was 1", the Leupy 30 mm- doh! The little 2-7 did fine and it's a scope I have used a ton, so all good :)

I brought a Helinox chair (16 oz) and thought I'd make the guides jealous when we were on the "beach", no so much when I sank into the ground :D

https://lighterpack.com/r/t5541l

I think the guides might be adding a few bits for their next siwash

I was very pleased (and grateful) my gear choices were much spot on. I brought one of the newer Sitka EVO jackets and wore it everyday, going to write up a review on it soon :) gear list above
We're you glad to have your own spotter?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
We're you glad to have your own spotter?
I was. I spent a ton of time behind it and even spotted a few critters before the guides (but not many! :ROFLMAO:)

The tripod was going regardless- I prefer to glass off a tripod with my binoculars and it was setup w/ a Spartan head and I could shoot off it as well if needed. Figured if the tripod was going, might as well add the spotter.

There was definitely a strong temptation to leave the 3 lbs behind, but for me it was worth it.

dtrkyman

WKR
Congratulations!

Humbling hearing how difficult the hiking was on the tundra, we know how much work you put into getting ready.

You must not read as much as I thought around here, everyone knows you can not take a Leupold out of the case without it loosing zero :LOL:

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats!! I've been looking in the thread to see how you did and was going to send you a PM to ask.

Nice surprise seeing this thread this morning.

Very happy you got one, I just got back from the Yukon myself with a ram in tow.

Great write-up and some very nice pics.

AKDoc

WKR
Most excellent, sir! Your words and photos wonderfully relayed what is essentially an ineffable life experience.

I held back mentioning the smoke when I wished you well before your adventure. So glad to hear that you prevailed and found some clear sky for glassing...and a beautiful ram!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for all the kind words guys, very much appreciated! :)

^ thanks- yeah I'd be lying if I didn't admit that on day three still in smoke that I wasn't becoming a little bit of nervous Nelly!

Yeah Buddy!!!!
Congrats on an awesome ram. Loved the story and the great photos. The pic of your sheep head by the fire with the tent in background can go in the sheep contest pic
Appreciate you taking us along on your journey.

Axlrod

WKR
Great pictures and story!
The smoke here in southwest MT. really gets me down, especially when it lingers into archery season. I can't imagine the stress on a limited time sheep hunt.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys!

The only club you want to be kicked out of.

Congratulations. I didnt see t posted, but do you know the age of the ram?

They figured 8-9. They’ll (AK G&F) age them when they get the head plugged. They said the only sure way is to a pull a tooth, evidently they do that sometimes.

CorbLand

WKR
Thanks guys!

They figured 8-9. They’ll (AK G&F) age them when they get the head plugged. They said the only sure way is to a pull a tooth, evidently they do that sometimes.
Counting rings, that is about where I put it but I wanted to see if I was right.