Out of State Hunting (non-resident)

I am looking into going on some out of state hunts (I am from Michigan)! I don't know where the best place to start would be, but I know that for some states it takes a while to draw a non-resident tag. I would be looking for a good hunting state where I can buy OTC non-resident tags, that isn't too far from Michigan. Any suggestions are welcome!

Tahoe1305

WKR
Recommend subscribing to GoHunt or a similar service. Lots of good info for research and articles that outline it all. Doesn’t cost too much and can sometimes snag good gear deals too.

It’s fairly “intimidating” just jumping in without some gentle guiding.

Macintosh

WKR
If you just want to see new places then just pick the state next door and go. If you are after something you cant get at home in Mi (a species, a particular topography, a particular type of habitat or access to a particular type of habitat, specific season dates, etc) then you just research where that can be found. Once you have your options you can look at what it takes to draw a tag or buy a license.
Or if you dont know, find out which states have OTC tags, and use that to narrow down what opportunities they have (dates, habitat, access, species, etc), and if something grabs you, go there.
As -is its probably too general of a question to get any sort of good answer more detailed than that.

I am not sure if you’re a gun hunter or archery hunter or both.
For the most part I don’t pay attention to the gun hunting stuff since I only archery hunt.

Here is some archery info for whitetails.

ND is OTC for whitetails but all tags are now mailed out. So it’s best to purchase online before heading there.

SD is OTC for private land. Once again all tags are mailed out so purchase online ahead of time.

MN is OTC.

NE is a draw starting this year.

Kansas is a draw. For the most part a tag can be had every year.

Iowa is draw and depending on unit can be hunted every 2 to 6 years.

It’s been a while since I have hunted Missouri but it used to be OTC.

Indiana is OTC. Or at least it was in 2020. The last year I bought a tag there.

OP
D
I am looking into going on some out of state hunts (I am from Michigan)! I don't know where the best place to start would be, but I know that for some states it takes a while to draw a non-resident tag. I would be looking for a good hunting state where I can buy OTC non-resident tags, that isn't too far from Michigan. Any suggestions are welcome!
To clarify, I am mostly looking for areas in the Midwest for Whitetail. I am also interested in hunting Mule Deer out West.

OP
D
I am not sure if you’re a gun hunter or archery hunter or both.
For the most part I don’t pay attention to the gun hunting stuff since I only archery hunt.

Here is some archery info for whitetails.

ND is OTC for whitetails but all tags are now mailed out. So it’s best to purchase online before heading there.

SD is OTC for private land. Once again all tags are mailed out so purchase online ahead of time.

MN is OTC.

NE is a draw starting this year.

Kansas is a draw. For the most part a tag can be had every year.

Iowa is draw and depending on unit can be hunted every 2 to 6 years.

It’s been a while since I have hunted Missouri but it used to be OTC.

Indiana is OTC. Or at least it was in 2020. The last year I bought a tag there.
Exactly what I needed! Thank you. I am primarily archery, but I do also hunt the gun season. This gives me a really good picture of what to Aim for (...see what I did there...) though!