Ourdoorsmans Gen2 Panhead - Not Smooth

zach_c

Lil-Rokslider
I have both a gen1 and gen2 panhead. Gen1 is smooth. Gen2 has hesitation or jerks when going to pan horizontal. For example, looking thru binos or tripod, start to move horizontally, as I move it jerks, enough to cause you to loose keeping your line of sight in the glass. I've tried manually moving the head around many times to break it in. I then sent it back to Outdoorsmans and they said it's within spec. I won't use it this way. Anyone else with this issue?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Mine is the micro. It CAN lock up a touch when panning left/right and I have to find a bit of a sweet spot between “to loose” and “feeling natural” without it binding a bit. Something I’ve gotten used to.

I've owned them a few times living in the state they are made. Each time I've owned them, I leave disappointed. Much better heads on the market for less money in my opinion. They also get a gritty feel after a season with dirt getting into the grease.

AZ8

WKR
My Gen 1 has been great and didn’t find a need to upgrade to the Gen 2. But having the Arca-Swiss option is nice.

So I bought this instead. Converts your Gen 1 into a Gen 2 for a fraction of the cost.

Mine started off a little rough, but not to the degree you are describing. It has gotten better/smoother over time. I have also learned how to work with the tension to get it set where I like it. Took some time and patience, but I can move it smoothly with the bridge of my nose when panning now. No hands required.

Initially I was a little disappointed vs the VA-5 I had been using. I expected more.

But now I love it. The size, weight, build quality and ergonomics are better in my opinion (than the VA-5).

There are some other options available now that get great reviews and are much cheaper. Those might be worth a look.