Our son's first moose

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
I was doing cow moose calls, long bellows. I usually get pretty aggressive with this call. If you're a farmer and have heard a cow in full estruss you know.
. We had set up on the edge of a small pond in front of our cabin. It didn't take but a few minutes and we see a huge bull walk out from the black spruce. His bright white antlers against the dark green of the forest gave us a good look. He was over 50". He didn't get old stepping into open areas and steps back in. We're a couple hundred yards away. I do an immature bull grunt, lightly. Just one. This brings him out. He turns towards us. Doing a huffing grunt with each step, ugh ugh. Telling every bull around to get out of his way. Head down n out. Open mouth breathing in scents along with his open nostrils.
Have to say that being able to watch this was great ! He comes in a hundred yards n stops. Things aren't adding up I suspect. I tell my son to get ready. As soon as he starts to turn, take him. He wasn't sure and starts to turn. Again to probably study things a bit. He's big enough that he doesn't hurry for much either I guess. King of the hill.
Son shoots, I have a follow up . The moose moves into the bush. Yeah, called in our son's first moose. Dreamed about this moment for years while freighting in materials for the cabin. We cross an old beaver dam to get across the creek. Walking up to where he was. Hair and no blood. Son follows the trail through the grass. I walk down towards where he came out. I get near 50' down and see him laying on his belly. I holler to son to come over. He's still alive so dangerous. I instruct him to come in from the side and don't get close. I've had one stand up close enough to touch. Taught me. He harvests his first moose.
He slits the throat n we head back to the cabin to get our gear. I have a knife bag with half a dozen knives. I can't get the edge like I can at the cabin so I switch out. Game bag bag. I have a wheeler at the cabin so we I load up. And son hooks up my coleman canoe freight sled. He's close enough that I want to take him in pieces with the hide on and skin it hanging on a pole.
Some moose I will use a gutless method but not here. I can get the wheeler in a spot near the moose and run the winch line out to a spruce and use a pulling to pull the moose into a good position. I show son how to make the cut up the belly first so it cleaner. Then open him up to gut. Then a few gallons of blood pours out. He was hit in the aorta and lower heart so he bled out inside. I was able to cut him into 2 pieces across what I call the 13th rib. Second to last one. We were able to winch him into an open area and part up . I have the meat pole so we can pull along side it and winch the pieces up.
I've kinda worked hard n played hard so now I have to find ways to go moose hunting by myself. We spray everything with citrus and build some smudge fires to keep the flies off. Finally time to just build a campfire n chill. Son sets up some saw horses and starts cleaning his 58" non typical. Half of one antler was folded backwards on itself. Probably a fight with soft antlers. Huge base kinda stands out.
We both very proud. And have the meat for the year for 2 families. Our pilot was able to pick us up at the lake 2 miles south the next noon. We use the canoe again. It leaves no marks on the ground n we try to always be aware of breaking the earth.
We get there just on time n watch Dave land his 185. Takes 2 loads with us on the second load. And the rest of the family to unload the plane on the other end. On the second load out I notice our daughter on board the plane to my surprise. Son n daughter planned to clean the cabin and stock up the woodshed so I didn't have to. The antlers won't fit into the plane, too big. So we hung them in a spruce tree so he could come back and get them. And I head home to take care of the moose with my beautiful wife.
Dave asks me if I want to fly over the kids. Yes. As he dips his wing I can see our 2 kids. Just like 20 years earlier. Hanging out together. And daughter driving. I'm passing the torch kinda goes through my mind.
When the get home in a couple days we all work together as a family and process or meat. Making sausages n brats. Inventing stuff. A bunch of chopped up peppers to put in the burger for chilli burgers. Kids learn how to butcher. We got near 550 pounds of meat off the bone from this huge moose. Id est near 1400 lbs. Enough to share with the neighbors n grandparents.
Talk about a proud dad09E7C847-A67E-4254-84C1-CD839F855A40.jpeg

OP
A

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah feel great kinda sums it up. The total experience for me was a special thing. As is everyone's. For me after a ton of work that was play building the cabin. Over 5 years of spending a lot of hours hauling freight. The whole time thinking about this moment.
I believe that this old bull lived on this hill for many years. And that he was able to pass on his genes to so hopefully we should have a few more big boys around. I found a set of 60 plus antlers a few years earlier on this hill that was probably his grandpa

OP
A

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Yes very blessed. Especially since we can go out together a lot. Harvesting a moose is great but it's also great to just go hang out n work on the cabin together with our kids. Going to be there's some day. And now that we're set up for processing out there it will be much easier.
I'd like for my beautiful wife n daughter to harvest one to.
Lots of different things to do there. Any time of the year. Id love to get out n find some moose antlers. We cut them up for dog chews.
And spring bear is coming on. Got a ton of work to do on the place. Snow caved in the woodshed. Got a wheeler at the lake the bears have probably had fun eating it.
Most important. The deck needs some quality control inspections.

Attachments

• 4AACA1C4-E528-412F-B948-A7C06B4EEF23.jpeg
    4AACA1C4-E528-412F-B948-A7C06B4EEF23.jpeg
    406 KB · Views: 70
  • C121C231-EFF1-4750-8DF7-7F13735A6B97.jpeg
    C121C231-EFF1-4750-8DF7-7F13735A6B97.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 26E71138-52C0-48DA-90B0-F95FF7AB268E.jpeg
    26E71138-52C0-48DA-90B0-F95FF7AB268E.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 66
  • 7F10B0A9-1DB2-407C-9E47-7E49C85647A0.jpeg
    7F10B0A9-1DB2-407C-9E47-7E49C85647A0.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 77A3B9D3-A852-4334-9FA9-AB762DF63FD7.jpeg
    77A3B9D3-A852-4334-9FA9-AB762DF63FD7.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 1711A0B1-DF63-44DC-A1BC-C8F02244C1D3.jpeg
    1711A0B1-DF63-44DC-A1BC-C8F02244C1D3.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 79C64E49-44AB-4251-9912-26755EAED3C8.jpeg
    79C64E49-44AB-4251-9912-26755EAED3C8.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 68
OP
A

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks folks. It's just to bad that more folks don't have this opportunity. Or don't have or take the time to do things like this. Lots of work but the fulfillment is endless.
It would be really nice if families could have the opportunity more.
Yeah a very blessed papa

Pankowsj

FNG
Congratulations to both of you! Any time together is special, but when you can share it working hard at work worth doing, that’s something truly special.

WBrim

WKR
Awesome hunt, and great write up. That cabin looks like a little piece of heaven.

MitchId

FNG
Reading this story just made me more excited for my first moose hunt. Always good to hear the experience is more important than the animal.

I was doing cow moose calls, long bellows. I usually get pretty aggressive with this call. If you're a farmer and have heard a cow in full estruss you know.
. We had set up on the edge of a small pond in front of our cabin. It didn't take but a few minutes and we see a huge bull walk out from the black spruce. His bright white antlers against the dark green of the forest gave us a good look. He was over 50". He didn't get old stepping into open areas and steps back in. We're a couple hundred yards away. I do an immature bull grunt, lightly. Just one. This brings him out. He turns towards us. Doing a huffing grunt with each step, ugh ugh. Telling every bull around to get out of his way. Head down n out. Open mouth breathing in scents along with his open nostrils.
Have to say that being able to watch this was great ! He comes in a hundred yards n stops. Things aren't adding up I suspect. I tell my son to get ready. As soon as he starts to turn, take him. He wasn't sure and starts to turn. Again to probably study things a bit. He's big enough that he doesn't hurry for much either I guess. King of the hill.
Son shoots, I have a follow up . The moose moves into the bush. Yeah, called in our son's first moose. Dreamed about this moment for years while freighting in materials for the cabin. We cross an old beaver dam to get across the creek. Walking up to where he was. Hair and no blood. Son follows the trail through the grass. I walk down towards where he came out. I get near 50' down and see him laying on his belly. I holler to son to come over. He's still alive so dangerous. I instruct him to come in from the side and don't get close. I've had one stand up close enough to touch. Taught me. He harvests his first moose.
He slits the throat n we head back to the cabin to get our gear. I have a knife bag with half a dozen knives. I can't get the edge like I can at the cabin so I switch out. Game bag bag. I have a wheeler at the cabin so we I load up. And son hooks up my coleman canoe freight sled. He's close enough that I want to take him in pieces with the hide on and skin it hanging on a pole.
Some moose I will use a gutless method but not here. I can get the wheeler in a spot near the moose and run the winch line out to a spruce and use a pulling to pull the moose into a good position. I show son how to make the cut up the belly first so it cleaner. Then open him up to gut. Then a few gallons of blood pours out. He was hit in the aorta and lower heart so he bled out inside. I was able to cut him into 2 pieces across what I call the 13th rib. Second to last one. We were able to winch him into an open area and part up . I have the meat pole so we can pull along side it and winch the pieces up.
I've kinda worked hard n played hard so now I have to find ways to go moose hunting by myself. We spray everything with citrus and build some smudge fires to keep the flies off. Finally time to just build a campfire n chill. Son sets up some saw horses and starts cleaning his 58" non typical. Half of one antler was folded backwards on itself. Probably a fight with soft antlers. Huge base kinda stands out.
We both very proud. And have the meat for the year for 2 families. Our pilot was able to pick us up at the lake 2 miles south the next noon. We use the canoe again. It leaves no marks on the ground n we try to always be aware of breaking the earth.
We get there just on time n watch Dave land his 185. Takes 2 loads with us on the second load. And the rest of the family to unload the plane on the other end. On the second load out I notice our daughter on board the plane to my surprise. Son n daughter planned to clean the cabin and stock up the woodshed so I didn't have to. The antlers won't fit into the plane, too big. So we hung them in a spruce tree so he could come back and get them. And I head home to take care of the moose with my beautiful wife.
Dave asks me if I want to fly over the kids. Yes. As he dips his wing I can see our 2 kids. Just like 20 years earlier. Hanging out together. And daughter driving. I'm passing the torch kinda goes through my mind.
When the get home in a couple days we all work together as a family and process or meat. Making sausages n brats. Inventing stuff. A bunch of chopped up peppers to put in the burger for chilli burgers. Kids learn how to butcher. We got near 550 pounds of meat off the bone from this huge moose. Id est near 1400 lbs. Enough to share with the neighbors n grandparents.
Talk about a proud dadView attachment 531265
Great story. Thanks for sharing!

OFFSHORE

FNG
Very blessed man indeed!!! I've always dreamed of a cabin such as yours, very isolated with plan access ONLY, on a series of joining lakes - HEAVEN!!! I would hunt a fish my butt off until the snow ran me out for the season.
Great story and great little piece of the world. Happy hunting.