OTC Colorado Archery Elk opportunity

Gerbdog

WKR
you just need to end up in public land, in an over the counter unit that is on that map someone linked up above, which out here in CO there is plenty of. Get on a dirt road, drive until you think you found a spot you wanna hike in and hunt. Find a pull off near it, sleep, get up, hike in and hunt, piles of elk get killed this way every year.

Use the layers on your On X to determine if your in the right unit, and the land is public.

Stay west of I-25 - there are elk East of I-25 but you better know where theyre at and the public land out there is sparse

OP
P

perm_dogg

FNG
you just need to end up in public land, in an over the counter unit that is on that map someone linked up above, which out here in CO there is plenty of. Get on a dirt road, drive until you think you found a spot you wanna hike in and hunt. Find a pull off near it, sleep, get up, hike in and hunt, piles of elk get killed this way every year.

Use the layers on your On X to determine if your in the right unit, and the land is public.

Stay west of I-25 - there are elk East of I-25 but you better know where theyre at and the public land out there is sparse
Beautiful. I appreciate this. Thank you!

OP
P

perm_dogg

FNG
I’m normally in the just go you have to learn camp, but, and I don’t mean to be rude, if you’ve been studying for a year and don’t know how the otc tag works or how to find a spot in CO’s 13+ million acres of national forest….you may not be ready.
Appreciate the bold honesty. I can see how an inquiry like mine puts me in the oversized dumpster of idiots who have no business in the woods. I am used to paying for a tag, and going to hunt. This whole OTC and Mountain hunt thing, is new to me. Everything else I have been doing for years. There wasn't many days last fall I wasn't in the Whitetail woods. (I realize this is a whole nother animal, figuratively and literally) which is exactly why I am so obsessively intrigued. Furthermore, I found out OTC will die off next year in CO and I don't know how many places across the US will have these opportunities going forward so, it's almost a now or never situation. Lastly, I'm borderline broke after gear upgrades. Thus the DIY ambition and not just giving a vital organ to have someone guide me around and answer all my "stupid" questions :)

Appreciate the bold honesty. I can see how an inquiry like mine puts me in the oversized dumpster of idiots who have no business in the woods. I am used to paying for a tag, and going to hunt. This whole OTC and Mountain hunt thing, is new to me. Everything else I have been doing for years. There wasn't many days last fall I wasn't in the Whitetail woods. (I realize this is a whole nother animal, figuratively and literally) which is exactly why I am so obsessively intrigued. Furthermore, I found out OTC will die off next year in CO and I don't know how many places across the US will have these opportunities going forward so, it's almost a now or never situation. Lastly, I'm borderline broke after gear upgrades. Thus the DIY ambition and not just giving a vital organ to have someone guide me around and answer all my "stupid" questions :)
Sounds like your decision is made already. There's not much anyone can tell you. You can still put in for Colorado draw and hunt eventually. It's not like a "you'll never get to hunt situation."

The "white tail woods" are a lot different than the "white butt forest horse mountains."

Jethro

WKR
Firstly, not knowing something doesn’t necessarily make you an idiot. Although it doesn’t rule it out either. 🤣

Learn the draw processes and read regs. Should be steps 1 and 2 for any newb. Often overlooked for the more glamorous training, shooting, and accumulating gear.

CO otc may go away but opportunity most likely will not.

OP
P

perm_dogg

FNG
Firstly, not knowing something doesn’t necessarily make you an idiot. Although it doesn’t rule it out either. 🤣

Learn the draw processes and read regs. Should be steps 1 and 2 for any newb. Often overlooked for the more glamorous training, shooting, and accumulating gear.

CO otc may go away but opportunity most likely will not.
I finally got a hold of CO DNR and they made this way easier than I was making it on myself. It sounds like it's pretty wide open to just go in with a bow and a tag, camp gear, and hunt where legal to do so. You're absolutely right. No talking me out of it at this point. Ha ha

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
I'm waiting to see the "I pulled off the road and walked up a hill. This elk was walking up the other side so I shot him. I don't know what it means but someone in town called it a 330." followup post. Be about right.🤣 Good luck on your hunt.

if you are a flatlander sleep your first night below 7000 feet maybe even stay in Denver that first night so you are not puking your first day.

Pay attention to your hydration too the entire time you are in the mountains and if you get a headache or start puking start driving yourself down below 7000 ft or so to heal up, spend the day and maybe night there.

Mention this becuase year round I see a lot of people pretty sick becuase they go right up into the mtns too fast. Doesn't matter how fit you are, altitude sickness doesn't discriminate.

Good luck and have fun! and sleep low that first night....

if you are a flatlander sleep your first night below 7000 feet maybe even stay in Denver that first night so you are not puking your first day.

Pay attention to your hydration too the entire time you are in the mountains and if you get a headache or start puking start driving yourself down below 7000 ft or so to heal up, spend the day and maybe night there.

Mention this becuase year round I see a lot of people pretty sick becuase they go right up into the mtns too fast. Doesn't matter how fit you are, altitude sickness doesn't discriminate.

This is good advice, OP^^

OP
P

perm_dogg

FNG

Great advice. This is my plan for sure!