OTC CO Elk Inquiry

I just got a PM that reads: The majority of over the counter tags for bow and rifle are not unit specific unless you buy a left over tag for a draw only unit.

Is this accurate? I have an archery cow tag for AZ in Nov but am thinking it may be a very difficult to fill, especially after multiple gun and bow seasons combined with the chance of biblical rain from El Nino so am thinking about a Colorado run beforehand. I'd like to chase bulls in western CO but haven't actually dug into the regs yet. Reading the rules for CA, AZ, UT, WA and NV has me dizzy. I'd like to confirm this OTC availability before setting time aside to study up on the CO regs. Can anyone give me some basic info on OTC tags for nonresidents? Am open to any recommendations. I've been hunting elk for a few years with my bow, gotten close but haven't even nocked an arrow yet. May even stoop to a rifle just to get #1 off my back (if I saw a huge bull and could not get within bow range). I dunno, figure I can decide once I'm there. Wanna put some elk in the freezer and stop eating tags ya know? <g> I'm 55 yrs old and slowing down every year...don't know how many two week hunts I've got left in me.

Much obliged for any advice.

Bruce a pm is just that. I'm all for people not hunting Idaho but it baffles me that you haven't given it a look. Most tags can be followed up in October/November with a rifle if unsuccessful during archery. Albeit most of the units that have that option turn into spike or cow only with the rifle. It's no farther of a drive for ya. Just say'n

OP
Where's Bruce?
Bruce a pm is just that. I'm all for people not hunting Idaho but it baffles me that you haven't given it a look. Most tags can be followed up in October/November with a rifle if unsuccessful during archery. Albeit most of the units that have that option turn into spike or cow only with the rifle. It's no farther of a drive for ya. Just say'n

I am headed to Flagstaff anyway so I figure I'm halfway there already. Kinda wanna see the Kifaru plant, have family in Denver and the drive is easy. Wanna stop in Rifle and wear my gun at the breakfast cafe too. LOL

29645.jpg

So I can really buy a bull tag OTC for anywhere in CO? That's just awesome! Do they sell either sex tags like OR or are they sex specific? I have the last ten days of Aug, Sep & Oct off...prefer a bow hunt but the missus is getting pissed with all the $$$ I'm spending on elk hunting and not returning with any steak. I gotta fill a tag this year...I just do.

Yes Bruce, it is true that CO OTC is not unit specific unless you pick up a leftover. 1st Rifle and ML is not available OTC, but Archery, 2nd, 3rd rifle is OTC and in generally unrestricted with the exception of the northwest corner of the state, front range and 5 units in the Flattops Wilderness Area (Archery only). Below is the 2/3 rifle map where the yellow areas are OTC (Archery has a few more units removed):

2015-Colorado-Map_Rifle1.png

Archery is either sex, 2/3 rifle is Antlered. The license fee for Non-residents is $596 for Bull Elk or Either Sex Elk tags and $361 for cow/calf (antlerless). OTC tags go on sale every year in early July.

Last edited:

Bar

Banned
Not anywhere in Colorado. Just the OTC units. About 1/2 of the state. OTC bow tags are either sex. Rifle is bull only unless there's some exceptions i'm not aware of. No muzzy OTC tags.

Bar

Banned
Not sure you can call leftover as a true OTC, because to do have to compete with everybody else trying for the tags.

BG305

FNG
I think this is what your looking for Bruce. The gray areas are either sex OTC.

image.jpg

Bulldawg

WKR
Do realize that when you buy an archery tag it is only good for archery season you cannot come back later and hunt with a rifle

Yes, If you get an Either sex Archery tag ( A class ) you will need to buy a ( B or C Class tag ) most likely B Class unless you win a Raffle or know someone with privet property, B class tags are usually Cow tags, 99% of Colorado BULL tags are ( A Class tags ). If you want to Just archery hunt Colorado and have plans in other states I would say go Either Sex, Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK. :)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You can come back, you just need to purchase a rifle tag, correct?

If you hunt the archery season on an either sex tag, you cannot buy an OTC bull rifle tag. The only other rifle tag that you could buy OTC would be a Plains tag which is either sex. Or pick up a leftover cow tag. Or raffle tag, etc. Gotta know the regs.

And if you hunt with a rifle tag even with a bow, you still have to meet the hunter orange requirements that are in the regs.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Okay, I understand and thanks guys, I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I think I'm gonna go for it, now I just have to determine which way to go. Rifle season with both weapons (bow & rifle) or bow only. No worries about wearing blaze...I have had my scares in Calif as a bowhunter in rifle season. Guys will shoot at moving bushes. Yeek! I have never hunted elk during a rifle season, just bow season so I expect a rifle season hunt could be actually tougher, not easier.

Again, thanks for your advice, you've been very helpful!

Bar

Banned
Keep in mind the OTC bow tag is either sex. Nice to have when your hunt is almost done. A cow sure beats eating a tag. Rifle will be bull only.

Bar

Banned
They aren't limited. You can wait until the hunt to buy one. You can even buy one after the hunt starts, but you have to go to a DOW office to do it.

Bar

Banned
I assumed he wanted to hunt for a bull in bow season when he also mentioned hunting the OTC rifle season.

CO Archery is limited? So they can sell out of tags? Do I need to hurry up and buy mine?

Bar is correct, they aren't limited and the statement saying otherwise seemed to be bad info that I copied when writing the above. Always check multiple sources. However it would seem that you can still get archery at stores once the season starts and it is only during rifle season that you have to go to DOW.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Yeah...I have an archery cow tag for AZ but I really wanna bull. I mean, who doesn't right?

3-bull-elk-photo.jpg