OTC CO Elk Inquiry

OP
Where's Bruce?
So earlier this month I committed myself to hunting elk smarter and began looking for advantages. Carrying a heavy pack all day sucks, slows ya down, cuts miles off your hunt and makes ya sweat. Not a good thing. Last year I wore a Sitka Ascent 8 hip pack until it broke, then a Sitka Flash 20day pack. Adequate but not ideal, especially if I drop an elk far from the vehicle.

Kifaru introduced some frames this month so I ordered a Hunting Platform Frame And Suspension in coyote.

DPFTmain350.jpg

To this I am adding a Cargo Panel, two small belts pouches and two large pouches (that will attach to the Cargo Panel if/when needed) and a Guide Lid all in Mandrake.

20121019-073825.jpg

CPloaded350.jpg

Guidelidfront350.jpg

Throwing a Gunbearer on it too. Lastly I added a hanging hydration bladder. This cuts four pounds off my pack weight (compared to the DT1) which is almost half. At an estimated 13lbs (including 3 litres of water and kill kit, rainsuit and other stuff in pouches I should be able to move around fairly well. If I need to haul a load I just compress it between the frame and Cargo Panel (as shown in pic above). Now I will be able to trek light but won’t hafta make a trip to the truck to get a freighter to haul meat…it’ll already be on my back. Delivery is expected in 3 weeks…we’ll see if this works out this season. Now all I need is a shot opportunity.

huntn100

FNG
You can come back, you just need to purchase a rifle tag, correct?
No, you can't come back and buy an otc rifle bull tag if you bought an either sex archery tag. They are both listed as A licenses, you can only have one A license and one B license (cow tag). So if you were to buy an archery otc cow tag then you can buy an otc rifle tag.

huntn100

FNG
Wow, sorry. I'm just learning how to respond in tapatalk, I didn't realize how many people answered the A B license thing. Disregard my stupid post.

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
So earlier this month I committed myself to hunting elk smarter and began looking for advantages. Carrying a heavy pack all day sucks, slows ya down, cuts miles off your hunt and makes ya sweat. Not a good thing. Last year I wore a Sitka Ascent 8 hip pack until it broke, then a Sitka Flash 20day pack. Adequate but not ideal, especially if I drop an elk far from the vehicle.

Kifaru introduced some frames this month so I ordered a Hunting Platform Frame And Suspension in coyote.

DPFTmain350.jpg

To this I am adding a Cargo Panel, two small belts pouches and two large pouches (that will attach to the Cargo Panel if/when needed) and a Guide Lid all in Mandrake.

20121019-073825.jpg

CPloaded350.jpg

Guidelidfront350.jpg

Throwing a Gunbearer on it too. Lastly I added a hanging hydration bladder. This cuts four pounds off my pack weight (compared to the DT1) which is almost half. At an estimated 13lbs (including 3 litres of water and kill kit, rainsuit and other stuff in pouches I should be able to move around fairly well. If I need to haul a load I just compress it between the frame and Cargo Panel (as shown in pic above). Now I will be able to trek light but won’t hafta make a trip to the truck to get a freighter to haul meat…it’ll already be on my back. Delivery is expected in 3 weeks…we’ll see if this works out this season. Now all I need is a shot opportunity.

Love this idea! What if I put the lg pouches and contents in my Highcamp on the way to camp, then dump the Highcamp and hunt with the pouches!

xziang

WKR
They aren't limited. You can wait until the hunt to buy one. You can even buy one after the hunt starts, but you have to go to a DOW office to do it.

3 years ago I swear that we purchased our OTC license at Wallyworld late into the season. You just have to make sure you have a HARD COPY of your hunter safety card! Hardcopy not a digital image of it on your phone.

Also you can also get an OTC tag for cow only but you 'loose' some units that the Bull/Cow tag allows you to hunt.

From how I understand it, you can buy an archery either sex A tag and an antler less B tag and shoot two elk, either two cows or a bull and a cow.

Correct?

OP
Where's Bruce?
Love this idea! What if I put the lg pouches and contents in my Highcamp on the way to camp, then dump the Highcamp and hunt with the pouches!

You just need to determine how much space you need, the right size lid helps and then whatever else is necessary. I have a 55L drybag I can strap to the Cargo Panel if I need to carry more gear. Mostly I need a designated freighter but this seemed like a flexible way to go. Stealing brilliant ideas from Aron again! LOL

Last edited:

Bar

Banned
3 years ago I swear that we purchased our OTC license at Wallyworld late into the season. You just have to make sure you have a HARD COPY of your hunter safety card! Hardcopy not a digital image of it on your phone.

Also you can also get an OTC tag for cow only but you 'loose' some units that the Bull/Cow tag allows you to hunt.

I'm not a bow hunter, so maybe the laws are different. I was always under the impression that once a season started you had to get the OTC tags from a DOW office. Before the season starts they can be bought anywhere. I could be wrong.

I'll give them a call this morning, and ask.

JG358

WKR
You just have to make sure you have a HARD COPY of your hunter safety card! Hardcopy not a digital image of it on your phone.

You can go to any DOW office and have them verify your hunter safety card. After its verified, you no longer have to have your card with you to purchase another license or hunt.

Last edited:

bz_711

WKR
I'm not a bow hunter, so maybe the laws are different. I was always under the impression that once a season started you had to get the OTC tags from a DOW office. Before the season starts they can be bought anywhere. I could be wrong.

I'll give them a call this morning, and ask.

The regs/website make it sound that way...but I've called in years past just to clarify. OTC Archery are sold at any license vendor during entire archery season. We stop at Walmart the last week each year. But there is still language on website that would make you think otherwise...

JG358

WKR
No, you can't come back and buy an otc rifle bull tag if you bought an either sex archery tag. They are both listed as A licenses, you can only have one A license and one B license (cow tag). So if you were to buy an archery otc cow tag then you can buy an otc rifle tag.

Not all cow tags are B list... some are A list.

Bar

Banned
The regs/website make it sound that way...but I've called in years past just to clarify. OTC Archery are sold at any license vendor during entire archery season. We stop at Walmart the last week each year. But there is still language on website that would make you think otherwise...

Yes, Colorado is all about getting as much money from us as possible. They don't make it hard to buy tags.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

Archery season is different because the season is a month long. Many people coming later in the season, so they sell the archery tags everywhere the entire season.