Oregon wildfire

Wrench

WKR
The Lone Rock fire is pushing south into Spray, Oregon. My folks and uncle just evacuated. My uncle had to drive through flames to get out of his place.

My dad took every bit of fuel and dozed it. His place will be easy to defend......my uncle.....not so much.
Good luck to all of you down that way. I know several other ranches have burned up.

Hopefully the critters can stay ahead of it. There's a bunch of deer to lose.

The Lone Rock fire is pushing south into Spray, Oregon. My folks and uncle just evacuated. My uncle had to drive through flames to get out of his place.

My dad took every bit of fuel and dozed it. His place will be easy to defend......my uncle.....not so much.
Good luck to all of you down that way. I know several other ranches have burned up.

Hope it turns out for them. Oregon is in a heap of trouble right now. Southern Idaho is a lightning storm away from disaster. Not a good scenario at all.

TripleJ

WKR
Sorry to hear about your folks and your uncle that’s super scary stuff, but glad they made it out. It’s pretty bad for this early in the year. Loading up your most important valuables and driving away from your house is a tough thing to do, we went through that a few years ago. There are fires popping up everywhere. We’re on the west/green side, but the last 3 days we’ve had 3 different fires start within 5 miles of our house. Luckily they’ve been able to get them out quickly. We’ll see where the next month takes us, some moisture would be a really really good thing.

survivalistd

Lil-Rokslider

Stay safe

Flyjunky

WKR

I’m between Bend and Redmond but have a flexible schedule. If they need any help please reach out!

elkliver

WKR
Thanks. As of now both places made it. My uncles place burned the grass to the house....but everything saved. My dad's place is in a little bubble that the fire didn't touch.
Wrench, whats your family's name? I know some of that country and people. Went to school in fossil
In looking at the fire map, it appears to be a bit west of Spray where the worst of it is. Kahler basin looked ok but maybe im looking at an older map

OP
W

Wrench

WKR
My folks are up Kahler Basin.....hopefully it saves.

Sounds bad in some areas, saw pictures from my brother in law of live and dead cattle in burned areas, and reports of some ranchers losing quite a bit of cattle

Wildfires are seemingly a strange thing, most people don’t really care that much because it doesn’t concern them, until it happens in their area and it feels like the world is ending (I’m sure most natural disasters are that way)

Much of Oregon is unnecessarily vulnerable to wildfires, but since it only effects certain regions, the voice of decision (big cities) are completely disconnected from the problem so nothing will be done.

Disconnect will always be the biggest problem in this state, those making decisions are completely disconnected from the issues and think they are smarter than the people who are directly affected by the issues, and I don’t see that changing since momentum is headed in the wrong direction

bone collector 13

FNG
Classified Approved
Lost our family ranch to boneyard. The southern fire line is pretty much our whole ranch. Sounds like they are holding it on our place. Hoping the homestead survived. Luckily this is a purely recreational property now with some leased grazing so not a huge hit to us. But devastating to our neighbors who live off the land still.

Tmac

WKR
Sounds bad in some areas, saw pictures from my brother in law of live and dead cattle in burned areas, and reports of some ranchers losing quite a bit of cattle

Wildfires are seemingly a strange thing, most people don’t really care that much because it doesn’t concern them, until it happens in their area and it feels like the world is ending (I’m sure most natural disasters are that way)

Much of Oregon is unnecessarily vulnerable to wildfires, but since it only effects certain regions, the voice of decision (big cities) are completely disconnected from the problem so nothing will be done.

Disconnect will always be the biggest problem in this state, those making decisions are completely disconnected from the issues and think they are smarter than the people who are directly affected by the issues, and I don’t see that changing since momentum is headed in the wrong direction
One would have thought the Santiam Fire, in 2020 iirc, would have woke them up.

bone collector 13

FNG
Classified Approved
not to make this political at all. But working in the industry, I have to wonder how much of what happen last year between the grant county sheriff and the forest service have affected the fed fire response in that particular county. Seems like fires like boneyard and others within grant county took an awful long time to get incident management teams assigned. I get that Oregon is being assigned. But I can’t remember the last time Iv seen a fire go multiple days with towns on level 3 evac with no incident management team assuming command of it.

Glad to hear a glimmer of hope Wrench. Hopefully it holds true.
Sorry to hear of bone collector's loss and of all suffering from these fires.
Hang in there folks.....

not to make this political at all. But working in the industry, I have to wonder how much of what happen last year between the grant county sheriff and the forest service have affected the fed fire response in that particular county. Seems like fires like boneyard and others within grant county took an awful long time to get incident management teams assigned. I get that Oregon is being assigned. But I can’t remember the last time Iv seen a fire go multiple days with towns on level 3 evac with no incident management team assuming command of it.
Can’t say I’d be chomping at the bit to go work one there. 🤷‍♂️

Oregon is getting hammered this fire season.

bone collector 13

FNG
Classified Approved
Can’t say I’d be chomping at the bit to go work one there. 🤷‍♂️

Oregon is getting hammered this fire season.
Really are. Saw they even pulled a couple cal fire strike teams up. And seems to be a lot more reliance on cooperators this year, but I know that’s happening across the west and not just an oregon thing. Really hard to read the room on that one. But my thoughts exactly. Can’t imagine any of the local FS guys are stoked to “all lands all hands” that one

IDVortex

WKR
What happened last year?