Oregon-Washington guys

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
I have some work to do at the Dalles Dam. I was wondering some places to go while there. Maybe some fishing, and or hiking. It should take me about 3 weeks to complete the job, and I hope I have some free time to get some fishing in. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike7

WKR
Climbing Mt. Adams is a cool weekend thing to do close by if you're into that kind of hiking and views (need crampons and ice axe though for the snow fields to get to the top safely...and it would be helpful to know how to glissade for an enjoyable descent). Great rafting on a section of the Deschutes south of there (about a 1/2 day trip...look up Boxcar Rapid on youtube).

OP
I

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks.
Uh, ice axe and crampons? No thanks. Looking for a break from work, not creating more.:)

friend of mine has done adams a few times with neither...
raft the white salmon river.
fishing out of ilwaco
hike around st.helens
portland has quite a nightlife if youre a single guy ;)

Mike7

WKR
All great ideas.

Agree, Adams isn't horrible without gear depending upon one's experience level and snow conditions...but for a very safe fun hike, the crampons in a couple of spots can make things faster and more enjoyable especially if traveling in the melting afternoon snow (less kicking of steps and potential slipping at the top of snow fields).

Here's some ideas:

Fall Chinook salmon fishing.

Book a sturgeon guide. Sturgeon Frank is awesome. There is even an oversized sturgeon fishery on the Columbia where you would have the chance to catch an 8'+ sturgeon.

Walleye fishing on the Columbia. I haven't done that for years, but there is some good fishing near Rufus.

Amazing summer catfish fishing on Brownlee Reservoir (about 3 hours away).

Steelhead fishing on the John Day river.

Go on a raft trip in the John Day River canyon. Lots of California bighorn sheep there.

Crabbing at the ocean. You can rent traps at a lot of ports and go off the docks.

Clamming at the ocean on a low minus tide.

I'll post some more if anything comes to mind.