Oregon TC mountains

DaleW

WKR
My girlfriend happened to luck out and draw a tag for the trout creek mountains in only her second year applying for tags(don't tell me beginner's luck isn't a thing for drawing tags lol). I'm already starting put a plan together from e-scouting and I'll of course be making a real scouting trip and speak with the bio. I could post this over on ifish but I don't have an account and I don't want to be "that guy".

If anyone has had the tag previously or has spent some time in the unit during the hunt, any info would be appreciated. I'm confident we'll have a good hunt but I'd like to cover all the bases and maybe hear from some guys who have actual experience there. Since this will be on the internet forever, communicating through PM is probably best.

Dale

wapitibob

WKR
You won't be "that guy"; they're tripping over each other to see who can give out their Elk spots the quickest. Gotta be a few willing to send you their Deer spots.

OP
DaleW

DaleW

WKR
You won't be "that guy"; they're tripping over each other to see who can give out their Elk spots the quickest. Gotta be a few willing to send you their Deer spots.
Maybe I'll give it a try after all then haha.

kota

FNG
By no means an expert, but have spent some time there during the early season. Deer densities are pretty low, but they seemed to be in pockets and where you would expect them to be (cover and water over 6k elevation etc).

The roads are as crappy as advertised, so be prepared and plan for extra travel time. The 1 time I didn’t bring a second spare I got a flat and wasted a day going in to Winnemucca to get it fixed.

The guy you want to talk too is Lee Foster out of the Hines ODFW office.

PM me if you want to chat.

OP
DaleW

DaleW

WKR
By no means an expert, but have spent some time there during the early season. Deer densities are pretty low, but they seemed to be in pockets and where you would expect them to be (cover and water over 6k elevation etc).

The roads are as crappy as advertised, so be prepared and plan for extra travel time. The 1 time I didn’t bring a second spare I got a flat and wasted a day going in to Winnemucca to get it fixed.

The guy you want to talk too is Lee Foster out of the Hines ODFW office.

PM me if you want to chat.
Thanks for the info 👍 I'll send over a pm.

Oregon

WKR
I've been on 3 sheep hunts in that area. 2 deer hunts in the TC Mtns.
The absolute most important thing is to get to Fields and get a burger, shake and beer from Jade. That should be the priority.
Fields fixes flats.
TC is exactly what you'd think. Beautiful deer country, miserable roads, about as desolate as desolate gets. The only thing you wouldn't think is deer aren't standing everywhere.
You need zero help or advice finding deer.
You'll pick them out. There is zero place better than the other.
Do your thing. Glass and hunt. Glass and hunt.
It's really that easy.