Oregon Land Access

NJ2OR

FNG
Hi all!

No matter how much digging I do, I cannot find out information on "Carbon River Holdings LLC." in SW Oregon. I see a lot of land that I would like to check out that is owned by this organization according to OnX. Does anyone know the rules and regs for their land access if they have any? I have another mapping app that says it is owned by Roseburg Resources...are they one and the same?

I would go investigate the physical properties myself, but I am many hours away and cannot make a trip to SW OR for some time.

Hi all!

No matter how much digging I do, I cannot find out information on "Carbon River Holdings LLC." in SW Oregon. I see a lot of land that I would like to check out that is owned by this organization according to OnX. Does anyone know the rules and regs for their land access if they have any? I have another mapping app that says it is owned by Roseburg Resources...are they one and the same?

I would go investigate the physical properties myself, but I am many hours away and cannot make a trip to SW OR for some time.
I wish I could help. I'm not sure about that particular owner. I will say that more and more of the timber and private holding companies are no longer allowing access due to fire risk. One of the spots I hunt is telling people they are going to start issuing citations.

You can also Onx the company address in Keizer and its a house owned by the corporations listed officer. If you live up there maybe worth a door knock.

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all!

The Josephine County forester told me these lands often change ownership between resource companies often and onX is not always up to date on who owns what for these parcels. I found a document on the inter webs with the companies allowing access and the restrictions. If you want that link shoot me a dm.

Rogue Bay

WKR
You can also go on the Oregon Department of Forestry website and look at land access policies for different private timber companies. I’d have to look again because I don’t recall exactly how to navigate to that page but do remember it was easy to get to.

OP
NJ2OR

NJ2OR

FNG
All,

Thanks for the replies, all helpful stuff. I made the time to shoot up to Grant's Pass area and found that a lot of private timber land has been transferred to Chinook Timber Management. Unfortunately they do not have public access. OnX is certainly not accurate in that region.

Also, no luck finding bears, but it was a great few days in woods learning new country!

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
All,

Thanks for the replies, all helpful stuff. I made the time to shoot up to Grant's Pass area and found that a lot of private timber land has been transferred to Chinook Timber Management. Unfortunately they do not have public access. OnX is certainly not accurate in that region.

Also, no luck finding bears, but it was a great few days in woods learning new country!
Just sent you a message regarding what you found with onX.

I'm a little late to finding this but unfortunately everything marked carbon river is managed by chinook properties. They do not allow access and will not answer the phone number listed on the signs they posted. They purchased a shitload of property from Roseburg forest products that allowed public access and a bunch is checkerboard with blm, and blm roads.
They suck and I hope they go out of business

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I'm a little late to finding this but unfortunately everything marked carbon river is managed by chinook properties. They do not allow access and will not answer the phone number listed on the signs they posted. They purchased a shitload of property from Roseburg forest products that allowed public access and a bunch is checkerboard with blm, and blm roads.
They suck and I hope they go out of business

I always found that point of view to be interesting.

Given the way most of the public is, I cant blame them at all for posting it. I'm actually amazed more of it isnt locked down in this area.

Given the way most of the public is, I cant blame them at all for posting it. I'm actually amazed more of it isnt locked down in this area.
The problem is that it's a BLM road, with blm property that's always been open.

I'm not okay with timber companies blocking the public from accessing public land.

If it was all their property then that's okay but its not

Haro450

FNG
I would confirm this but I believe if its a BLM road you are allowed to access it. Meaning you can travel the road to the BLM land. Leaving the road when it goes through private property would be a different story.

In the past I have emailed the Oregon state police and received solid replys on things like this. You may also ask the local BLM office. I would do it through email so you have documented proof.

I would confirm this but I believe if its a BLM road you are allowed to access it. Meaning you can travel the road to the BLM land. Leaving the road when it goes through private property would be a different story.

In the past I have emailed the Oregon state police and received solid replys on things like this. You may also ask the local BLM office. I would do it through email so you have documented proof.
Ice called odfw and blm. Couldn't get a straight intelligent answer from either of them

There are areas with public through-roads which generally say 'no hunting area' in some wording, and there are areas with gated access. If it's gated, then you cannot hunt there (no walking in unless you have permission from them). If it's public access, but it's a timber alotment, you can't hunt that area but you can drive through it.

Haro450

FNG
I will verify with my father in-law on who he called. He was told if its a gated BLM road you can use it to access BLM land. Even when it pass through private land.

Might email OSP since they would most likely be who is called below is the email I have used before. Typically the person who answers will give you their direct contact information if you have additional questions or specific roads in mind.

[email protected]

I will verify with my father in-law on who he called. He was told if its a gated BLM road you can use it to access BLM land. Even when it pass through private land.

Might email OSP since they would most likely be who is called below is the email I have used before. Typically the person who answers will give you their direct contact information if you have additional questions or specific roads in mind.

[email protected]
You could be right, I'm not sure. That would be handy and I'd love to know what you find out!

I've also found there is a good amount of actual private land and the gates do identify them as such.

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming many of the people on this posting hunted spring bear like myself… did you run into a lot of shanty drug trailers while back in the woods. My wife and I seemed to run into one on every dead end forest road. Didn’t matter if it was forestry land or blm they were everywhere and we always turned around promptly.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming many of the people on this posting hunted spring bear like myself… did you run into a lot of shanty drug trailers while back in the woods. My wife and I seemed to run into one on every dead end forest road. Didn’t matter if it was forestry land or blm they were everywhere and we always turned around promptly.
Kind of brings a new wrinkle to the legitimacy of drone scouting. It could be nice to send a little flying machine out for 30 minutes to look at all of the roads real quick and make sure of what isn't there.

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
Kind of brings a new wrinkle to the legitimacy of drone scouting. It could be nice to send a little flying machine out for 30 minutes to look at all of the roads real quick and make sure of what isn't there.
No kidding…

Agreed. I’ve paid to hunt other timber company land in the area and it sucks but it makes sense to me. I’ve heard South Coast lets employees hunt which is cool…for those employees.