Oregon John Day River

Coteadam

FNG
Hello. I was lucky enough to draw an Oregon Sheep tag as a nonresident in the John Day River unit for the Nov 2-10 hunt.

Can anyone recommend a good outfitter?

Do you have suggestions on whether I should do a float hunt or another type of hunt in this area?

Thank you

WRO

WKR
There’s a few doing hunts on the river..

I’d decide if you want to float or hunt private..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
I’ll second sheep mountain, John Mcollum killed the gov ram in there 2 years ago. Todd Erickson has a bunch of private leased..

It’s arguably the best Cali hunt in the state, legit shot at a mid 170’s or better.

Last edited:

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
Marty Shepherd owns Little Creek Outfitters (www.deschuteshunting.com) and has worked with Sheep Mountain Outfitters in the past. He runs float trips but that’s the extent of my knowledge. I know him from the steelheading world, no personal sheep experience. It’s a dream trip. I’ve floated the John Day and the Deschutes, Awesome sheep country. Enjoy!

My son drew that tag last year and we were looking at outfitters for the hunt. We looked at Eden Ridge and Sheep Mtn Outfitters. It became very clear to me who we should use and who we should not and I have no regrets on the decision.

We floated with SMO and I couldn’t be more happy with the experience. My son shot the 11th all time Cali sheep in Oregon and the SMO folks were amazing. If you want more info you can PM me.

IMG_2252.jpegIMG_2540.jpegIMG_1126.jpeg

OP
Coteadam

Coteadam

FNG
That’s great. Thanks for the info. I was also given the name of John Barker as a potential guide. Did you happen to talk with him??

I didn’t…I talked with John M at Eden Ridge and Scott Coe from SMO. I have gotten to know the SMO guys so if you want an intro let me know.

Another note - we saw rutting activity during that hunt (our was the same season as yours, Nov 4th-12th last year)…heard some rams banging heads.

OP
Coteadam

Coteadam

FNG
I cannot wait

I’ve talked with Dan Blankenship from SMO as he called me the other night. He was the one who informed me that I had drawn the tag!

Reactions: WRO
Dan is a great guy as well. We decided to do the float and it was awesome. Little different in that once you pass a spot you can’t go back and hunt it again like when on land. But it was so much fun, plus you get to pack the ram down rather than up haha. We floated and glassed with binos, and if we saw something promising we would pull over and get the spotters out.

We put in the day before the season, found this guy that day and camped on him. Unsuccessful stalk Saturday…we didn’t get back to camp until 3 or so and decided to camp there again Saturday night. Our plan was to go after him again if we saw him Sunday morning, or pack up camp and keep going if he was no longer up there.

We saw him and went up on Sunday, shot around 11.30 and cleaned and packed him and by the time we got to camp it was late afternoon so we camped there again. Two long floats and got out Tuesday late afternoon.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Do your research and consider who you support for Oregon guiding and what you might want is all I can recommend. No doubt folks have great experiences with them all and others find all the same just as contentious.

ROKSLIDE thread

The above post is a unique presentation that may shed some light on Oregon operation - including their dba orgs in the neighboring state in which I believe the discussed hunt took place.

Have a great hunt - which I am sure you will regardless! Might consider the Oregon WSF orientation as well if you can - July 13. Check out their WEBSITE; will also give you a chance to talk to the bio's as well as Board Members who probably have some names of lesser advertised guides who are available.

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
Do your research and consider who you support for Oregon guiding and what you might want is all I can recommend. No doubt folks have great experiences with them all and others find all the same just as contentious.

ROKSLIDE thread

The above post is a unique presentation that may shed some light on Oregon operation - including their dba orgs in the neighboring state in which I believe the discussed hunt took place.

Have a great hunt - which I am sure you will regardless! Might consider the Oregon WSF orientation as well if you can - July 13. Check out their WEBSITE; will also give you a chance to talk to the bio's as well as Board Members who probably have some names of lesser advertised guides who are available.

Do any of them kill big shit consistently?

I’ve never spoken to anyone who’s been a client of SMO and had a bad hunt out been dissatisfied.

I can’t say that for a lot of other outfits in Oregon.

Last edited: