Oregon hunting partner

lintond

WKR
Looking to find somebody who wants to partner up and elk hunt eastern Oregon with me. Hunted the Eagle Caps last year solo. Wouldn't mind a partner to extend my range and give me the extra motivation to hunt even harder. Packed in for 3 & 6 day trips last year.

My buddy who was going to hunt with me decide to move to Maui! :confused:

Last edited:
OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
He's kind of a conservative hippy, so I wasn't too surprised by his move. He claims it's short term but ya never know.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd have to be making a hell of a lot of money and have tons of time off to move somewhere with nothing to hunt. I'd hunt with you but Oregon is far.

tttoadman

WKR
Looking to find somebody who wants to partner up and elk hunt eastern Oregon with me. Hunted the Eagle Caps last year solo. Wouldn't mind a partner to extend my range and give me the extra motivation to hunt even harder. Packed in for 3 & 6 day trips last year.

My buddy who was going to hunt with me decide to move to Maui! :confused:

Archery or rifle?

Some of my options are still up the air. I live about a half hour from P town.

I just moved here to eastern Oregon and can hardly wait to chase these elk around! Depending on the dates I'll team up with you. I'd like to learn some of the Eagle Cap country too. Shoot me a PM.

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
I just moved here to eastern Oregon and can hardly wait to chase these elk around! Depending on the dates I'll team up with you. I'd like to learn some of the Eagle Cap country too. Shoot me a PM.

Welcome to Oregon madmuley!

Thanks! Enjoying it so far...seems like lots of opportunity here to bowhunt for anyone willing to do the homework and hunt hard. I keep hearing the horror stories of no elk, no deer, too many hunters and too many lions but Im gonna stay optimistic for now! How was the eagle caps as far as being crowded and terrain?

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
I saw a fair amount of hunters, but only had a few bugger up my hunt. I hunted about 5 miles from the trailhead near the north fork of the Imnaha. Did have quite the experience with some wolves. I did a write up a while back. I've been thinking about hunting in the same general area, just going farther in to get away from people a little more.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?12489-Oregon-Wolves&highlight=Wolf

I had chances at elk, but couldn't put it together. Live and learn! :) Oregon definitely isn't a premier hunting state but you can still be successful with a little hard work. You aren't going to step out of the truck and kill a trophy.

Cool story. It sucks that it likely ruined your elk hunt but what an experience and pictures/video to have. Too bad theyre not managed in OR yet....

OR Archer

WKR

You have better hunting closer to John Day than you do in the Caps. Better quality bulls too. Oh and welcome to OR!

Good to know! Thanks...I will be able to spend nearly all spring and summer in the field around here and have a million and a half polygons and points on maps and Google Earth already. Im usually a backpack in and get away from the crowds kind of hunter but there are a ton of roads around here. Cant wait to check out some of this country. Maybe later on we'll have to start an "Oregon Scouting" thread or something.. Anybody got any favorites -- Murderers Creek, Northside, Desolation, etc.?

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
Good to know! Thanks...I will be able to spend nearly all spring and summer in the field around here and have a million and a half polygons and points on maps and Google Earth already. Im usually a backpack in and get away from the crowds kind of hunter but there are a ton of roads around here. Cant wait to check out some of this country. Maybe later on we'll have to start an "Oregon Scouting" thread or something.. Anybody got any favorites -- Murderers Creek, Northside, Desolation, etc.?

That's why I went into the caps. No roads, so that eliminates a lot of the pressure. Still plenty of hunters but less weekend warriors tromping around.

TJ

WKR
That's why I went into the caps. No roads, so that eliminates a lot of the pressure. Still plenty of hunters but less weekend warriors tromping around.

One thing about it is when you see someone back there they've usually earned it. Not like some bonehead rolling-up on a 4-wheeler.

Occasionally you can get surrounded by drop camps though.