Opportunity for first Elk Hunt in Montana

I have the opportunity to hunt Elk in Montana for the first time this year during rifle season.

My cousin’s husband who is a resident has offered to take me, and while I will be speaking with him a ton in the subject, I’d like to also do research elsewhere and be as little of a burden on him as possible. My father in law will also be joining us.

We purchased preference points before the end of the year, and I understand we can purchase another before the draw? I believe we plan to hunt a general area.

I am going to have a TON of questions, and thought this would be a good place to start. I’m going to put down what I have and my thoughts so far, but my biggest problem is that I simply don’t know what I dont know.

My first priority is getting in shape, so I’ve started rucking on the treadmill daily, as well as doing approximately a half mile to mile walk every day at work. At 6’2 and 295lbs I have a long way to go, but I’m down from 325 3 months ago. I typically handle hiking and rucking well, so my main concern is endurance and strength. I currently have about 25lbs in the Ruck ans will increase as I go.

I’m hoping to gather some info on what to expect as far as weather, temperature, and how to plan to dress. It seems like it’ll be a lot different than how I dress for Michigan whitetail hunting.

For gear, I’m not sure what I’ll need. I need to talk to my cousin to find out what kind of Hunt we will be doing, camping, or what?

Gear: Assuming not needing Camping gear, What sort of gear will I need? I plan on getting a Mystery ranch sawtooth 45 or metcalf. The sawtooth 45 was recommended by my cousin.

Rifle: I currently plan on using my Model 70 EW in .308, and my father in law has a savage ultralight in .308. I currently am working on a 165gr accubond load. I MIGHT acquire a new rifle before the hunt, unsure! (Have a few options of 200gr projectiles on hand)

Optics: I currently have a cheap pair of Bushnell binos that work well for me for deer season, but plan to upgrade to a Leupold BX-4. Not sure If a Spotting scope will be needed? I’m running a razor HD LHT 3-15 on my rifle, and FIL is using a VX-5HD.

We will be driving out there for the hunt, so I also plan to get a nice big cooler for the back to bring meat home.

I’m sure I’m missing some things so I’ll update accordingly.

What gaps are there in my knowledge/gear, and how can I fill them?

Thanks!!! :)

2/12/23 Edit:

I’m going to edit this every now and then to track my progress. Hopefully by the end I can put everything together and maybe help another first-timer.

Since I posted this I’ve acquired a new rifle, a Weatherby MK V Hunter in 300 Win Mag.

I received my Leupold BX-4’s, and after talking with my cousin, decided I won’t need a spotting scope.

For my pack I got the mystery ranch sawtooth 45.

Boots: I just ordered Schnee’s 200gr Beartooth boots, will see how they work when they arrive.

As far as physical fitness goes, I actually put a brief pause on rucking and started to focus on weight training. Not because I thought this would directly help my hunt (although it will,) I just needed it. I was pretty “squishy.” Still am, but am working on it. Getting back to rucking tonight.

Some things still on my list:

garmin inreach mini- This was a recommendation from my cousin, and seems like a good tool to have.

Black Diamond Storm 500-r - I have a bunch of headlamps but the storm 500-r seems like a great choice for a primary. Rechargeable, and waterproof.

Clothing- going to wait until late summer to gather the clothing for the hunt as I’ve gone down 2 sizes in pants already and I’m not even close to ready.

There’s more, so I’ll be back to update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hiker270

WKR
Good Luck, looks like you have the start of a plan put together. I tell everyone I take elk hunting to enjoy the whole experience, just being in the mountain chasing elk is awesome. Killing and elk is a bonus but there is definitely not an elk behind every tree. There are a lot of hunters in the mountains of Montana. I hunt Montana and buy preference points but it's not a gimme that you'll draw. I usually only draw every 2-3 years so I have a backup plan for Colorado. Your 308 will do the job on an elk but be reasonable with shot distance. Weather in the middle of October can be anywhere from very warm to downright cold and snow. This year was cold and snow. If you draw you can fine tune your hunt a week of so before season starts according to the weather. Being in shape gives you an advantage.

OP
allstajacket
Good Luck, looks like you have the start of a plan put together. I tell everyone I take elk hunting to enjoy the whole experience, just being in the mountain chasing elk is awesome. Killing and elk is a bonus but there is definitely not an elk behind every tree. There are a lot of hunters in the mountains of Montana. I hunt Montana and buy preference points but it's not a gimme that you'll draw. I usually only draw every 2-3 years so I have a backup plan for Colorado. Your 308 will do the job on an elk but be reasonable with shot distance. Weather in the middle of October can be anywhere from very warm to downright cold and snow. This year was cold and snow. If you draw you can fine tune your hunt a week of so before season starts according to the weather. Being in shape gives you an advantage.

Thanks, my cousin has some very good spots near their property and see elk from their house often. Hoping this leads to success but I agree with the point about enjoying being out there, successful or not!

As far as drawing, it’s my understanding that I’ll have pretty good odds for a General Unit with 2 points being that points max out at 3? My understanding may be way off however. It’s a confusing System as I’m used to just OTC whitetail tags.

hiker270

WKR
I like a lot of hunters am not a fan of Montana's Point system. They allot so many tags for 0 points,1 point, 2 points and so on. If you hunt with an outfitter I think you can buy a point and get an extra outfitter point. So it depends on how many people fall in your point group. And if you don't apply every year you lose your points.

The place to spend your money is on good binos and scope. Elk come out late, especially big bulls and go in early. To ensure your best opp at success you need good light gathering in low light when they are present.

OP
allstajacket
The place to spend your money is on good binos and scope. Elk come out late, especially big bulls and go in early. To ensure your best opp at success you need good light gathering in low light when they are present.

Thanks! I’ll definitely prioritize binos. I’ve heard great things about Leupold BX-4’s and plan to go that route. I get a fairly nice discount with Leupold. I’m happy with my Razor HD LHT scope in low light, though I’m sure there are always better options out there.

If I end up getting a new rifle (looking at Tikka T3X Roughtech Ember in 300wm or 300wsm) What rifle scope would you suggest? I was planning on a VX5-HD.

WKR
Random thoughts:

Your .308/165 will do fine. Take the rifle you know.

Any quality glass, variable or fixed, up to about 6x will be fine for that caliber/load. You don't need a 16x super sniper scope to get the most out of .308/165 at typical elk hunting distances.

Early season tactics and later season tactics can be quite different. Saying north slope timber to south slope open is an oversimplification but that gives you a general idea.

If you don't have horses, the meat comes out on your back in multiple loads. Good pack frames are invaluable. Ditch the idea of "field dressing." You're going to "bone it out" on the kill site. This usually means a cut along the spine and skinning downward. Then taking off quarters, back straps, etc.

Carry some parachute cord and survival items in your pack.

Books by Don Laubach and Mark Henkel are good primers.

Walk. A lot. With weight. Up and down hill. A lot.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
I can't help you much on the hunting side, I'm a rookie myself, but I'd say you're on the right track getting in shape. Be careful rucking with a lot of weight, don't blow up your knees. Don't think you need a spotting scope, but definitely binos and probably a tripod (they're cheap, relatively). Your 308 will do just fine.

For weather and clothes, you need to be prepared for anything from 60 and sunny to single digits and snow. The biggest difference to whitetail hunting is how much adjustment you'll be doing, e.g. you might hike 1,000 vert up a hill on the lee side in just a base layer, then you hit the top and get in the wind and sit down to glass and suddenly it's freezing cold. That means layers and no cotton. Good (broken-in) boots are critical, and you'll want gaiters if there's snow. Trekking poles are nice to have. Depending on how much of this you already have that can be a fair amount of gear to buy, but some things are more critical to spend money on than others.

Be sure your woodsmanship is up to par. Can you navigate with a GPS? Compass? Always have a headlamp and spare batteries on you? Comfortable by yourself in the woods in the dark? Know how to keep yourself fed and watered over a 14 hour day? (Apologies if this is old hat to you, it isn't for everyone).

Keep your expectations reasonable. You can for sure see some beautiful country, have fun, and hunt well. You might not punch a tag.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
As far as drawing, it’s my understanding that I’ll have pretty good odds for a General Unit with 2 points being that points max out at 3? My understanding may be way off however. It’s a confusing System as I’m used to just OTC whitetail tags.

Sent from my iPhone using TaTapatalk
With the reg changes last year 2pts could very well be no man's land...at least you have 25% chance with zero points...Probably gonna depend on how many folks with 3PP want to apply for the gen tag. I would be prepared that it's very possible only one of you may draw.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! I’ll definitely prioritize binos. I’ve heard great things about Leupold BX-4’s and plan to go that route. I get a fairly nice discount with Leupold. I’m happy with my Razor HD LHT scope in low light, though I’m sure there are always better options out there.

If I end up getting a new rifle (looking at Tikka T3X Roughtech Ember in 300wm or 300wsm) What rifle scope would you suggest? I was planning on a VX5-HD.

I can give a thumbs up to the BX-4s. I use those and they're as good a glass as any others I've tried (I've tried a lot). Unless you plan to go up to Swaro's or the like. Definitely just as good as Maven's and better than Vortex IMO. Lose the Bushnells.

I love Leupold scopes. I have VX-111 all the way up to VX-6 on my newer rifles. Best bang for the buck in Scopes in my opinion. I like the 50mm objective for Elk hunting / light gathering.

I am a big fan of the 300 WM with 180 grn or bigger for Elk. They don't like it. Nosler Partition or Barnes X.

Obviously a good pair of broken in boots is money well spent. I really like the Solomon GTX 4D. Light. Comfortable. You can usually find them on sale for $200 or so. The boot debate will be as lively as the rifle debate.....:)

hwy1strat

WKR
I think you are on the right track. Personally, I'd run what you currently have and buy as little as you have to right now. Good boots, binos, pack, basic outdoor clothing that won't burden you, and sleeping bag is all I'd worry about. You will have so much more info to make purchase decisions after you go on that hunt. Designs features will make more sense and you will know where your deficiencies are after running what you have. Go all in after you try it out.

t_carlson

WKR
Thanks, my cousin has some very good spots near their property and see elk from their house often. Hoping this leads to success but I agree with the point about enjoying being out there, successful or not!

Seriously, just talk to your cousin and find out how they hunt.

You could easily dump several thousand on gear and end up shooting an elk off an alfalfa pivot or something like that. Your new spotter might not even come out of the case. Or, you might spend most of the hunt bouncing around on an ATV, wishing you had bought a good hard case while your rifle flops around on the sling over your shoulder and gets full of dust.

On the other hand, if you want to spend $$$ and dream about elk hunting, by all means, go ahead and start purchasing gear. We all enjoy that "hobby."

Last edited:

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
T_Carlson nailed it. If he is hunting near his house, you may be shacking up there in comfort. Thats what I do. I haven't used my backpacking tent in 4 years. I haven't needed it.

Midwesterner too and been out West twice in last 2 years. First trip was outfitted in the Bob in NW Montana. Second trip this past fall I didn't have a tag and was helping my daughter fill her DIY youth cow tag.

I'm still a newb, but I can tell you as someone that has hunted whitetails for more than 20 years, don't go into this hunt thinking elk hunting is the same. Basic woodsmanship skills and marksmanship are paramount for sure. However, stand hunting and deer drives don't prepare you for elk hunting.

I'm 47 years old, 6'1 and 225 pounds. However, before my hunts I trained hard 4-5 times per week and hit the mountain at around 210-215. For me and guys my size and larger that are just starting out West, I recommend prioritizing gear and next steps in this order.
  1. 2 pairs of well-broken in uninsulated boots. Some guys disagree with this, but I also make sure they have Gore-Tex liners. One can be more of a hiking style boot and the other a more rigid mountain boot. Depending on the terrain you're in, having a couple different pairs will make sure you're prepared and let you rotate them when they get sweaty. For bigger folks and guys with average to wide feet, the boots with larger toe boxes can be more comfortable. I tried a pair of Crispis and a pair of Schnees before my last hunt, and the Crispis had a slightly wider toe box and better heel lock for my feet. Try several pairs on at a good store like Scheels where a pro can help you with fit. The bottom line is that taking care of your feet has to be the number one priority if you're gonna be hiking a long ways every day. Your feet can make or break your hunt. Prioritize your spending on good boots and bring a few pairs of good socks (Darn Tough) first IMO.
  2. Base layers are the next priority for a guy used to whitetail hunting. Ditch the cotton long underwear and invest in good quality merino or synthetic base layers. If you're backpack hunting, you may want to go with the latter as guys say they dry out more quickly than merino. However, if you're going to be in a cabin or otherwise have a means to hang dry your gear, maybe go with the merino for the odor resistance and warmth. AVOID hunting brand base layers as you will pay a totally unnecessary premium. The same Kuiu, FL, SG, and similar base layers that cost $150 or more per piece are easily replaceable with effective options from Amazon for a fraction of the cost.
  3. Comfortable "technical" pants that move with you, not against you. Leave the carhart bibs and overfilled stand hunting overalls at home. These will be hot, bind, and otherwise make your elk hunt unbearable. I've had really good luck with Kuhl brand relaxed fit Rydrs, but there are cheaper options from Wrangler and others that will more than get the job done.
  4. Puffy coat and waterproof shell. Again, leave the stand hunting whitetail parka at home. Layers are key to comfort when you're elk hunting.
  5. Once you know specifics about your hunt, go through the "cheap stuff that works" thread on here for practical gear options. DO NOT go whole hog on Kuiu, FL, SG, Kiraru, etc... This is totally unnecessary and will drive the cost of your hunt through the roof.
  6. Stick with the .308. It is a proven elk killer with good bullets out to at least 500 yards if you do your part. No need for a .30 mag and the extra cost and recoil.
  7. Finally, train, train, and train some more. Work your ruck up to 40-50 pounds, and increase your mileage to 3-4 miles several times per week. Hit the hills, sidehills, as well as flats. IME, you will find very little flat ground out West.

bluumoon

WKR
There have been some good prices on Meopta binoculars in the classifieds lately, like $500 for 10x42s. I can't imagine upgrading them for my style of hunting. No idea of the Leupold binocular quality/durability, the Meoptas are good to go.

Range finder and know what range that bullet hits 2000fps out of your gun.

I like a chest harness for binos/range finder/ wind checker.

OP
allstajacket
I have a chest harness for binos but plan to find a better one. Im gonna grab the Leupold bx-4’s with my discount, as its under what most used ones go for.