Opinions on:

Lawnboi

WKR
I agree, at 500$ your better off waiting and saving the extra 100 or whatever you need to get something nice. Your so close.

Remember just because some guys buy a kifaru in camo, with 20 add ons that end up running them 1000+ dollars does not mean you have to. Kifaru has some awesome packs in your price range, if not a little above it.

In your budget I would save up and get a late season (if that is big enough) or a highcamp. If you leave them bare or add some minor things your not talking too much more than 500. Resale, made in USA, quality, functionality and modularity are worth the time to save up and buy once.

Shrek

WKR
I would save and if the budget is tight then watch for a used bikini to come up for sale. There will not be bunches but if you hang out here they will come up for sale now and then. They are well built and most used are going to be in very good condition as they can't be very old as the first production frames didn't hit the users until march of this year. For functionality and cost I like the Timberline 1 bag. With the built in pouches on the back and pockets for spotters on the side you don't need to buy a bunch of extra pockets and pouches to hang on it for organization and holding the spotter. A trimmed long hunter lid and Timberline bag you have a great combination of capacity , organization , and weight. There are several threads on trimming the excess weight off the lids and bags. I have cut out the snow collar and divider out of my T1 and all the straps from the longhunter lid and the pouch that held the belt and straps on the lid. I kept some of the connection points on the lid so I can put a pod on top if needed .

kickemall

WKR
As said above, a used Arcteryx Bora 80 or one of the large Dana Designs can both be had for under $200.00, often a lot less then save your money for a Kifaru or Stone Glacier.

lintond

WKR
Save for a kifaru! I was so excited to haul meat in mine I was offering every hunter I saw help packing out if they got something. Yes I need some sort of medication! :rolleyes:

unm1136

WKR
Kifaru Duex frame, cargo panel, HPG silnylon bag. Pod or two. Anything needing to be waterproofed can be carried in trash compactor bags or oven roasting bags and candycane tied. Upgrade the packbag later. That was my plan until I found a Multicam EMR on Fleabay for $500. If you watch the auction sites and the for sale boards here and on Kifaru you should be able to do what you want. The REI 85 L pack is not as good, but is an excellent value and starter pack for way less cash. One of Kifaru's strongest points is its modularity.

boom

WKR
wow. the Kifaru-fu is strong in this group.

i have hunted (and backcountry fished) for years using a 1990's gregory pack. it is the worst possible color for a hunting pack. Blue. yup, blue. pretty much the only color i think a deer can see :D being an older pack, there really isnt any load lifters. the top lid actually pushes any load lifter down, causing a downward angle. the pack is 65L..so it sounds big, but if you do the math, it is just a tad under 4000c.i. this summer i really pushed it. i did a 50 miler, 9 day trip to find native trout. my pack was loaded and stuffed tight. being stuffed tight, i learned a few things. in summary, the pack SUCKED! the load lifters were pushed out of shape and it really hurt. i cursed that pack!! i dont know how many times i said to my group.."the second i find phone service, i am gonna order a new pack"..i used the same pack for about 5 week hunts. not a huge problem..just tying my bow to it took creativity..and (Cant believe i am gonna say this) thank goodness i never killed anything "Way back there". the spector of "how the heck am i gonna get that deer out of here?" weighed heavy.

well after that fishing trip, i plopped down, and did some research. put my kidney up for sale on ebay, and bought a full Kifaru system. i've yet to use it, but it will be a game changer. just tying my bow to it is a piece-o-cake. i think i can get meat and my bow to the outside with little issues. i cant wait. my pig hunting starts in a several weeks.

i ended up buying a bkini and T2..which is just a bit larger than my gregory in terms of volume. i'd like to add a cargo lid and maybe a few pods over the summer. just gotta get some miles in to find out what works and doesnt work for me.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
So what is the weight of these systems??? Cuz that's one main reason I'm ditching the Ox is that it's like 10# something empty.... I want lightest weight I can get.... That's why I had been looking at a sacrifice.... Last thing I want is more weight out of a pack.

Shrek

WKR
2lbs 5oz for the bikini frame with a large belt and 26"stays. T1 bag is 3lbs 2oz with basic lid and untrimmed. I cut the snow collar out and the divider out along with the over the top compression stap and saved quite a bit of weight. Around 5lbs trimmed of extraneous stuff.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
This was my first year elk hunting. I have an Eberlestock blue widow and really have no complaints. It doesn't haul a heavy load real well (I put half a boned out cow in it) but I managed it in 3 loads. I'll be using it again next year. Honestly the pack handled the load "I" didn't. Need more leg strength! Lol

Lawnboi

WKR
24" small belt Bikini frame with the high camp 2 bag. Gives me 4800 cu without any pockets.

Weighs in a few ounces over 4lbs and sacrifices no durability. I must say though after using both the bare bag and the T1. Ill be buying a T2 bag for my bikini frame. Still undecided on if I want to keep the Highcamp 2 bag though for backpacking when I don't need a spotter.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Wow that's not a bad weight at all..... But I don't get what all this talk of t2 and trimmings and pockets and stuff.... I'll look at the sight but it sounds like you have to piece your whole bag together right??

Shrek

WKR
Have you looked at the Kifaru website ? The duplex frames are based on modularity. The frames can carry several different bags and a cargo panel configuration. The Timberline series bags have a little more built in organization and the High Camps basically none. Then there are pockets and pouches that can be put on or taken off as needed and preferred. Look at all of the accessories and pockets and you will find many ways to customize to fit your needs .Any bag can fit either the Bikini or Hauler frame. There are also other companies that make bags and accessories to fit the Duplex frames . The Bikini is new and is lighter while the Hauler is the original design . The trimming comes in for parts sewn in that many of us will never use. The sleeping bag compartment divider and it's attachments and the snow collar are the two biggies that many would rather do without and their weight. I like the long hunter lid but I would never ditch my pack and go off with it as a day pack so I cut the belt and straps off the lid to cut the useless to me weight. Check out the videos here on Rokslide and Kifaru to see them in action . Patrick Smith and his design team actually put thousands of hours of field use and testing in to make sure everything works. Kifaru is built in the USA in the Denver metro area . Patrick Smith is not just the owner but the designer , tester , production manager all in one. Other guys help with ideas , design , and testing but in the end it is Patrick who tests and finalizes the products.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Wow that's not a bad weight at all..... But I don't get what all this talk of t2 and trimmings and pockets and stuff.... I'll look at the sight but it sounds like you have to piece your whole bag together right??

No, you can just get a timberline and it'll be like any other pack. Kifaru offers a lot of options you can attach, but they're not a necessity.... more for customization.

Shrek

WKR
Jager , the name is how I describe how I'm built . I've got a long body with relatively short legs and a thick neck. It's hell trying to find a shirt or pack built long enough for me. I have put 3 pounds back on in the last two weeks and if going by eating habits I'd be called Coookie Monster ! Lol. Calypso Crunch cookies from the bakery to be specific about my current weakness. Yum ! yum ! yum ! yum ! Smack ! Cooooookieeeee !

Jager

WKR
Lmao You'll have to give that up if you walk the Sambar hills with us, just till you get out of the bush anyway.