Opinions on powdered milk

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
I'm wanting to start putting together my own breakfast meals but have never used powdered milk. Is there a particular brand or type that everyone prefers? what about storage considerations?

Richard

nxtbgthg

FNG
This was my first year using it so my exsperience is limited. I used the brand found at Walmart. I would boil some water shake in some powdered milk then add my granola and take it off the heat and put a lid on my cup. Then enjoy in a minute. I think i kept some of it for 3 weeks in a zip-loc bag in my pack and it was fine. If I do it again I will try messuring out the granola and powdered in a serving size so I don't have to mess with mixing the two each morning. I thought it was better than crunching on cold granola!

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using it for several years. I pre-portion all my breakfasts and have had some left over from one season to the next with no issues. My breakfast is 2 oz oatmeal (regular not quick cooking), 1 oz walnuts, 2 oz powdered whole milk, 1 oz raisins sealed in a lightweight zip top bag. I special order the whole milk dry milk from myspicesage.com as the stores here only have the nonfat. the whole milk is 140 calories per oz and delicious! total breakfast is 6 oz and around 720 calories. sometimes I only run 1 oz of whole milk and its still really creamy. I boil water, dump dry ingredients in my cup, add boiling water, stir and eat.

goldenarrow

Lil-Rokslider
You can get whole powdered milk in the Hispanic food section of your grocery store sold under the brand Nido. I bought a can but I still haven't tried it.

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
You can get whole powdered milk in the Hispanic food section of your grocery store sold under the brand Nido. I bought a can but I still haven't tried it.
Maybe in 'merica but not up here in small town alaska Haha. I spend hours looking for who has "real" free shipping.

Don't overlook combining it in cold water for cereal. Chereos don't weigh much and are a good alternative to oatmeal (to switch it up) Tastes like 2% milk. I do not have a brand favorite. I buy what i find. It has all tastes the same to me.

If you mix a little sugar or coffee creamer in with the powdered milk it covers the off taste and adds calories. I mix my powdered milk 3/4 to 1/4 with coffee creamer. If I use Nido, then just straight powder as it tastes better IMO.

This was my first year trying powdered milk, and here is what I found. The non-fat Carnation brand stuff I tried tasted like bad baby formula to me. So after getting some recommendations for Nido Powdered Whole Milk from some of the folks on here, I gave it a try. Night and day difference. It actually tastes like milk. For my breakfasts, I put 1 cup of granola in a 1 qt freezer bag, throw in some Nido powder at about half the recommended strength, then just pour some water into the bag in the morning and I have a tasty, filling breakfast with no cooking and no cleanup. I usually put the bag in my pot so it's easier to hold.

Mark, I use Bob's Red Mill powder milk. Love the taste, you buy it at the hippy stores. I add dried huckleberries or blue berries, a cup of healthy granola, and some flaxseed or hemp seed into a heavy duty sandwich baggie. Add a little cold water in the morning, boom done, no dishes. Lots of protein, carbs, fiber, omegas, and so on.

Jake

LoneStar

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry if I am going off subject, but I found powdered peanut butter at my local grocery store. The jar said to just mix with water until desired consistency. Has anyone tried this stuff?

Sorry if I am going off subject, but I found powdered peanut butter at my local grocery store. The jar said to just mix with water until desired consistency. Has anyone tried this stuff?

Yes, takes a little playing around with to get consistency right but taste is pretty good.

njdoxie

WKR
I buy Nido brand whole powdered milk online. .....I mix it with cold water in an empty 20 oz Gatorade bottle and put it on my cereal in the morning, then make more that night to drink with my dessert around the fire. I love it, won't camp without it. I love whole milk while camping, only drink skim at home.

Daniel_M

WKR
Powdered milk is rad for breakfast. Becca introduced me to the Glorious Cereal a few seasons back and i pack it on every trip now. I usually hit the bulk grains section at the grocery store for any granola/nut blend. Ration it out usually in a double serving and toss in the right amount of powdered milk. Just add water.

I use it in my cold Bare-Naked fruit & nut granola cereal.
I've used both Carnation & Kroger brand, can't say I noticed much difference between the two.
I tend to be generous on the powder to... like 1 pint's worth.

I measure out my cereal into zip-lock vac bags, add enough powder for a pint of milk, vac & seal, done.
In the field I just cut off the top, dump some water in (not so much as to water it down), and eat.
I usually carry a plastic coffee cup to eat it out of and when done, I just make a cup of cold Via coffee int he cup, swish it around to clean my cup & spork and drink it down, leaving a clean cup and spork for use later.

I will add, I spike my cereal w/ extra fruit & nuts. I target about 400-500cal total.

Storage?....... I've used vac sealed meals a year later and never noticed any difference.
I buy the large box w/ pouches that make 1qt each, so you only get like two meals per pouch.
Hunt'nFish

Last edited:
OP
hntnnut

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies and the heads up for the powdered peanut butter. Hunt'nFish what are the two meals you have on the top row that say chicken on them?

Best new backpacker meals I have found are Fishpeople. Look them up, insanely good, little heavy but one in the mix makes for a nice change on a long hunt.