House design, what is the purpose of this design?

Tod osier

WKR
We bought this house in WY last year and we are super happy with the house and lot, but there are some head scratchers that we run across from time to time. We have never had a house with a more modern design like this and wonder why it is set up this way. We didn't buy the house for the house, so much as we bought it for the lot and view, but we are happy enough with what we got.

Here is the space I'm wondering about, above the guest bath and guest bedroom. The blue arrow points to an exterior door that goes to a large unheated storage space above the garage. Access is through an attic ladder in garage.

Is it just a poorly integrated space? A design feature we don't understand?
arrow.jpg

It is a large space and partly finished, the living space is modest, so it would be nice to utilize what we can, even if for storage.
20230905_095203.jpg

Other end of the main room looks great for putting mounts. If there ever was a place designed for a mountain lion pouncing on a bighorn, that is the spot.
20230908_071345.jpg

The views we bought it for.

20230627_205250.jpg

20230629_205723.jpg

20230703_210553.jpg

sram9102

WKR
Anyway to bump the wall out some and run some stairs? Would make both storage areas easier to access.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Anyway to bump the wall out some and run some stairs? Would make both storage areas easier to access.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Yes, something like that I think. Barring some epiphany on how the space was designed to be used, I was thinking about a spiral or other space saving staircase. The peak is pretty low there, but if the staircase hit at the peak it would be good.

Mt Al

WKR
Awesome view!!! Not sure if the house was designed by the previous owner, but some 'homeowner designed' homes have bizarre features that make zero sense, create freezing pipes, whatever. Got a few in my house.

I agree w/the above: decide what you want and make it happen, whilst pouring that cocktail and enjoying the view

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Is it a manufactured home?

It is stick built on site. We got the truss quote when we bought and given the diversity of trusses, they went to a lot of trouble to get what they wanted. I'm more of a simple guy, I kinda prefer a square box with a gable roof.

Here is a shot of the outside.
20221212_155308.jpg

Stupid architect (<redundant) .

I'd wall it off and store your christmas decorations in it
Then it'll make a great place for a couple nice muley mounts.

Pretty spot for sure .

Oh, and I'd add a wood stove.
I think there's a running feud between laBarge and Big Piney as
to which is the coldest spot in the lower 48 :)

Last edited:

Wheels

WKR
It is stick built on site. We got the truss quote when we bought and given the diversity of trusses, they went to a lot of trouble to get what they wanted. I'm more of a simple guy, I kinda prefer a square box with a gable roof.

View attachment 642943
That's interesting, I wonder why they would have built it with that dead space above the rooms. Apparently they had a plan in mind, or not...
Nice spread!

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
That's interesting, I wonder why they would have built it with that dead space above the rooms. Apparently they had a plan in mind, or not...
Nice spread!

Thanks, above the master suite there is a closed off insulated sheet rocked room as well - it is accessed via a scuttle hole. Lot of storage that isn't very convenient there as well.

Last edited:
OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Stupid architect (<redundant) .

I'd wall it off and store your christmas decorations in it
Then it'll make a great place for a couple nice muley mounts.

Pretty spot for sure .

Oh, and I'd add a wood stove.
I think there's a running feud between laBarge and Big Piney as
to which is the coldest spot in the lower 48 :)

Thanks, that was my other thought to close it off. A partial partition in that opening to hang mounts and to block the sight line into there for storage. It is rough getting into there, tho'. The attic ladder is a tall one, since the ceiling in the garage is 12 or 14'. We aren't getting any younger and I'd like a good way to use that space above the garage.

We have the stove, right in the middle of the main room there, the pics just didn't show it.

Postal address is Big Piney, so yes plenty cold.

ABLVV84mXXcKsFqfcLmhijN3sHEPcTeKCff41wSSgzypZHwbdXBPUSmyWcefixV_UMFI0-ISjvyCx-v8LQ7lcxD4m6URMt_xMOMV98vGBf2M8HTBJsMIvgNlYTYJPrm6qlne7SeVAAZB_f1TfCHYnF3sXPZ6OIeR7mh_1DVhemOCQ5isWbScTr6UBObag1t7SWzlBiSgZ1T9piqTTP4933t8W63-5-VAgu4152h6jgq0QvuhLR8DATIE22VYGuYzPTYAzxG9FVGpHoieM3-FDi2cu1maBT03xBxsa-uUDZBzg1xl2_YGl6qTXJ8iYTr0muTjsjTD8VONpTFCHTNIkz-SztLID-AYY6FGODSde255c6Gp-5GJPwwoux3A1ZjXWl-kGUuLGLp-qg1tkAns4XyObokgInp6nMSVTuaVsvUmK9qwQQBD6A2o1acGNLIrSlbswU-sDfx8af2aQFJTmD7qndkWDJqUhPLgLRDohyQU0FoFDZaT2fHFVLPR5_Zc8SRNTe7qnsarNILndZ5dWOFGd710bXhWOjv4YUr07FAiTveGVf-reqCLGDvrwURVeVrNjA00GaecINHQYVo5zqDExvXtQTupaSeZa1gN1grHa3ym8zV6LjEjglV4iJ5Epx_l6Bi30uBTDmQF2YkVtcvvskqdcApdev6wi8ZG-MbIPtxCJ3YdfuDJkLfiKGK3ultLKiBmXH8cCk3PSzCbOOa5Be8Tv78giZQ0884rcgGYAgDSPNKnTPUClO3vrubfk71IlhNe59ae3y0VSbXJqpBkuxlZbps40cZQl4DeKcvDZQNLjX_ugCKhEOnFDApFpUzOPLmt7h7weQ3BjLDsJslWqqSkgxim4C9BJJwl6t6mEQydut3heRxQrekgIG1AFdtPqPsWZWU=w1412-h1059-s-no-gm

I can relate to "not getting any younger". That little spot isn't easily accessible regardless of how you approach it and I doubt you want to lose any living space by adding a stairs or ship's ladder to get there. You're not going to be putting anything up there that you want to use often.
I'd write that cubic footage off and look into better utilizing your garage space or putting up a little shed for extra storage if it's needed.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
I can relate to "not getting any younger". That little spot isn't easily accessible regardless of how you approach it and I doubt you want to lose any living space by adding a stairs or ship's ladder to get there. You're not going to be putting anything up there that you want to use often.
I'd write that cubic footage off and look into better utilizing your garage space or putting up a little shed for extra storage if it's needed.

I hear you, the space that I'm really looking for easy access to is the enormous unheated area over the 2 car garage and this little space we are talking about is an access point that might be better than the attic ladder. I'm just thinking about this, I mostly wanted to see if I'm stupidly overlooking some great intended use of this area.

View attachment 642943
Took me a minute to see all the deer in the shot.

Design wise my guess is they were after the vaulted ceiling look. They did not think it through all the way and couldn’t quite figure out how to finish that one end by the kitchen. Is there a way to install a pulldown attic ladder into the hallway behind the kitchen? It doesn’t look like there’s enough headroom for a stairway in the dining room, but there’s more headroom over the hall area, …correct?

The other thing to think about if you’re considering storage in that area is dimension of the joists? Depending on the span, If they’re 2 x 6 or more you’re probably OK. If they’re 2 x 4, they’re pretty much just enough to hold up the sheet rock and you don’t want to be stacking cases of ammo on them.