Opinions on New Riflescope

well, being in cali really, really changes things because you have to shoot lead-free bullets into animals. So, you probably do want to go for a higher velocity cartridge to keep your impact velocities as high as possible. In cali, 6.5 creed is probably the floor, with 7 rm or 300 win being better options.

I have a poor opinion of mono's for killing, two of the least emphatic kills I've ever seen were from 165 barnes TSX out of a 300 win mag, one at about 15 yards and the other right around 100. TTSX and LRX apparently expand better, and hammer bullets might too, but field autopsies from any of those are kinda sparse.

I agree and disagree with some of the above. I'd consider the 300 WSM and the 6.5 PRC.

Scope wise, go the the Long Range Hunting sub forum here as previously suggested. Take your time to digest the information, as it is a lot to take in.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I really appreciate this post you put together as this is my fist hunting rifle/scope set up.

Step away from magnums and the 30/06, as well as high magnification scopes- they recoil too much, and high mag scopes will only hurt you. 6.5 creedmoor should be the largest cartridge on the table. A 6mm would be better still. A SWFA 3-15x FFP Milquad, then tape the power ring at 6x and don’t touch it again.

Step away from magnums and the 30/06, as well as high magnification scopes- they recoil too much, and high mag scopes will only hurt you. 6.5 creedmoor should be the largest cartridge on the table. A 6mm would be better still. A SWFA 3-15x FFP Milquad, then tape the power ring at 6x and don’t touch it again.
Form he is in cali and has to hunt lead free, does that change your recommendations at all?

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Form he is in cali and has to hunt lead free, does that change your recommendations at all?
Im running t3x 308 with 130ttsx for a lead free. Nice to shoot and was super easy to work up a load using reloading Forms guidelines. Good to 300yds for velocity (starts at 3000fps)

Last edited:
My one x-bolt experience was underwhelming. T3X is a really solid rifle, and the twist will handle 180's if that's your goal.

What I'm really questioning is the chambering you're going after. You might be surprised if you play around with a ballistics calculator like jbm to see how 180's out of a 300 win mag perform relative to smaller diameter, higher BC bullets started at lower velocities over several hundred yards. Here's an example comparing the 300 win mag, 180 accubond factory load (2950 fps on the box) to a 6.5 creed factory ammo pushing the 147 eld-M (2695 on the box), look at the numbers towards the bottom. The slower, more slippery bullet gets to 1k at a higher velocity, meaning more terminal damage at impact. Plus the creed uses 40% less powder and has dramatically less recoil. Other comparisons will show similar trends.

I ran the 300 win mag for about 12 years. It absolutely works, but it also is expensive to feed and recoil management is a legitimate issue that has to be learned and practiced. With modern, very aerodynamic fragmenting bullets, laser range finders, and ballistics solvers, I can't really justify the win mag anymore. If you are convinced that only a magnum can kill an elk, head over to the 223 or 6.5 kill threads, the mountains of evidence will at the very least inform your decision.

View attachment 434993
You’re not wrong based on your findings. The one thing I’d ask the, and may have been addressed, is are you target shooting or hunting or both. Target, 6.5 creed. Hunting, 300wm. Both, 280ai? I own a 300 but you’re spot on about being expensive, and the low bc of a 180 just doesn’t trump the high bc of the 6.5s.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

Nope- 6.5 CM with 127gr LRX or Winchester Deer Season Copper Impact.

People shoot magnums like chit. The more people I see shoot relatively light weight rifles with recoil, the more that becomes apparent. Generally most do ok with around 14-16 ft-lbs of recoil max. I have yet to see a single person shoot a 20+ ft-lb recoil gun remotely close to one that recoils sub 16ft-lbs from field positions under time.

OP
H

Hornet156

FNG

People shoot magnums like chit. The more people I see shoot relatively light weight rifles with recoil, the more that becomes apparent. Generally most do ok with around 14-16 ft-lbs of recoil max. I have yet to see a single person shoot a 20+ ft-lb recoil gun remotely close to one that recoils sub 16ft-lbs from field positions under time.
Noted on the cartridge discussion. Which do you prefer, the Bushnell LHRS2 or the SFWA you previously mentioned.

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
I really appreciate this post you put together as this is my fist hunting rifle/scope set up. I was a little on the fence about cartridge, my second choice would be 30-06 followed by 7 RM. I really want to avoid a muzzle brake if at all possible. What do you think about 30-06 and 7RM in the Tikka 3x Superlite?
Here’s a little perspective. Same BC, same velocity, much different recoil. On the left is the 6.5 Creedmoor shooting a 130gr AR Hybrid at 2900ish. On the right is the .30-338 Win Mag shooting the 185gr Hunting VLD at the same velocity. The Creedmoor is much easier to hit with, and putting the bullet in the right spot is 99% of the kill.

John

653-B4-ED2-8175-4637-9-BD4-85-C1-B50-DB5-CB.jpg

Ziggy5

FNG
I am in the market for my first scope that will be mounted on a tikka 3x. I will be using this in the backcountry for deer/elk out West. My criteria are as follows:

FFP
$700-1200
Mil

I appreciate any input.
Take a look at Athlon FFP scopes. They are well made and price is modest for what you get. They won't break the bank and you would have to move up to 4 figures to beat them IMO. Good shooting.

If I was you I would grab the SWFA 3-15 on the classifieds, fairly surprised that hasn’t sold

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider

is there something about the LRX (vs the TTSX or Hornady GX/CX) that is particularly noteworthy? I know its marketed as a long range bullet, so I'm wondering if it is designed to "open" up more (they are presuming a lower impact velocity, right?) at any given velocity thereby causing more damage/greater wound channel compared to the TTSX or GX/CX's? I'm pretty locked in on using the 140 ELDM's or ELDX's out of my 6.5, but have wanted to consider a non-toxic option, not for me but to be nice to the eagles and other raptors. birds and lead just don't mix. Like a lot of people, don't get to see the terminal impacts from a lot of different bullets.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
is there something about the LRX (vs the TTSX or Hornady GX/CX) that is particularly noteworthy?

They’re “softer”. They open a bit wider at lower impact velocities. Monos suck terminally compared to lead cored fragmenting bullets.

I'm pretty locked in on using the 140 ELDM's or ELDX's out of my 6.5, but have wanted to consider a non-toxic option, not for me but to be nice to the eagles and other raptors. birds and lead just don't mix.

Has the lead levels in condors dropped at all since the road ammo ban? (It’s rhetorical).

Of the subjects that you know about intimately, which ones do the media and government speak correctly about?

Why not do this and be done?

Heed this advice. I didn't, at first, and developed an awful flinch that's taken me three years to get rid of.

On second thought, you need a T3X 30-06 and I have one on the classifieds right now.

I think the 280 AI and 6.5 PRC hit that same sweet spot don’t they? I kill a lot of stuff with my 6mm and 108 eldms. The 280 and PRC both have mild recoil and kill way above their pay grade.