Opinions on New Riflescope

No they dont have Razor glass. I have both a 3-12x42 and a Razor HD LH 2-10x40. My Razor is much better. The DB HPs have virtually the same glass as a Viper.

Razor is XR Plus coating, Indexed lens and HD. The DB HP is the standard XD/XR glass.
You're right. I'm not sure why I was thinking Razor.

OP
H

Hornet156

FNG
A lot of good feedback on this, thanks. I find so many positive things said about SWFA, but why can’t I find hardly any feedback on them other than this website. I’ve narrowed my search down to the SWFA 3-15x42 SS and the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 CDS-ZL2. Thoughts??

OP
H

Hornet156

FNG
So I have gone down a rabbits hole on researching scopes and it seems that lowering my rifle budget and increasing my glass budget will serve me better. I think i'm going to pull the trigger on a Tikka 3x Superlite in 300WM to save a few bucks. Now for the scope, is Nightforce truly worth the extra money. I'm bumping my glass budget up to $750-1000. Are SWFA, Sightron, Bushnell and NF in the same league as far as quality?

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Get the LRHS 2 from GAP. One of the best scopes for the money if you're going to spend $1000

for whatever reason, several LRHS scopes have hit the classifieds here and other spots in the past week or so, along with some SWFA 5-20's. If you have time to wait things out you can scoop up a good deal.

Also, since you haven't bought a rifle yet, what has you picking the tikka 300 win mag? There's a reasonable argument to be made that is the worst chambering for that rifle based on case length and barrel twist rate.

OP
H

Hornet156

FNG
for whatever reason, several LRHS scopes have hit the classifieds here and other spots in the past week or so, along with some SWFA 5-20's. If you have time to wait things out you can scoop up a good deal.

Also, since you haven't bought a rifle yet, what has you picking the tikka 300 win mag? There's a reasonable argument to be made that is the worst chambering for that rifle based on case length and barrel twist rate.
Cartridge limitations is not something I'm looking forward to, but as long as i can shoot 180G that will be sufficient. The twist rate on the superlite is 1:10. The tikka 3x seems to have the best reviews at that price point. I was looking at some x-bolts, but they are a few hundred more and none in stock.

rclouse79

WKR
After researching I wanted to go with SWFA but the ones I wanted were on back order. I got an Athlon Midas tac and have been happy with it. Good glass and it has tracked well so far.

OP
H

Hornet156

FNG
Really good deal, I paid I believe 800ish for mine on eBay a few months ago with a make offer deal. Have about 100rds shot with it and been good to go.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
This is a killer deal, but i'm looking for FFP in Mil.

Cartridge limitations is not something I'm looking forward to, but as long as i can shoot 180G that will be sufficient. The twist rate on the superlite is 1:10. The tikka 3x seems to have the best reviews at that price point. I was looking at some x-bolts, but they are a few hundred more and none in stock.
My one x-bolt experience was underwhelming. T3X is a really solid rifle, and the twist will handle 180's if that's your goal.

What I'm really questioning is the chambering you're going after. You might be surprised if you play around with a ballistics calculator like jbm to see how 180's out of a 300 win mag perform relative to smaller diameter, higher BC bullets started at lower velocities over several hundred yards. Here's an example comparing the 300 win mag, 180 accubond factory load (2950 fps on the box) to a 6.5 creed factory ammo pushing the 147 eld-M (2695 on the box), look at the numbers towards the bottom. The slower, more slippery bullet gets to 1k at a higher velocity, meaning more terminal damage at impact. Plus the creed uses 40% less powder and has dramatically less recoil. Other comparisons will show similar trends.

I ran the 300 win mag for about 12 years. It absolutely works, but it also is expensive to feed and recoil management is a legitimate issue that has to be learned and practiced. With modern, very aerodynamic fragmenting bullets, laser range finders, and ballistics solvers, I can't really justify the win mag anymore. If you are convinced that only a magnum can kill an elk, head over to the 223 or 6.5 kill threads, the mountains of evidence will at the very least inform your decision.

1659450014004.png

OP
H

Hornet156

FNG
My one x-bolt experience was underwhelming. T3X is a really solid rifle, and the twist will handle 180's if that's your goal.

What I'm really questioning is the chambering you're going after. You might be surprised if you play around with a ballistics calculator like jbm to see how 180's out of a 300 win mag perform relative to smaller diameter, higher BC bullets started at lower velocities over several hundred yards. Here's an example comparing the 300 win mag, 180 accubond factory load (2950 fps on the box) to a 6.5 creed factory ammo pushing the 147 eld-M (2695 on the box), look at the numbers towards the bottom. The slower, more slippery bullet gets to 1k at a higher velocity, meaning more terminal damage at impact. Plus the creed uses 40% less powder and has dramatically less recoil. Other comparisons will show similar trends.

I ran the 300 win mag for about 12 years. It absolutely works, but it also is expensive to feed and recoil management is a legitimate issue that has to be learned and practiced. With modern, very aerodynamic fragmenting bullets, laser range finders, and ballistics solvers, I can't really justify the win mag anymore. If you are convinced that only a magnum can kill an elk, head over to the 223 or 6.5 kill threads, the mountains of evidence will at the very least inform your decision.

View attachment 434993
I really appreciate this post you put together as this is my fist hunting rifle/scope set up. I was a little on the fence about cartridge, my second choice would be 30-06 followed by 7 RM. I really want to avoid a muzzle brake if at all possible. What do you think about 30-06 and 7RM in the Tikka 3x Superlite?

Magnums pound people, and brakes are deafening. For a first rifle, I'd go 6.5 creed or smaller so you can work on marksmanship and precision shot placement.

Is there a bullet diameter minimum for the game you want to target in the states you are planning to hunt? If so, find it out, and use that as the starting point to guide your decision on what to get, sticking with the tikka t3x factory chamberings.

I will say though 25 cal bullet options are pretty lousy, and if you can even find good ones to buy, you basically have to handload. My 25/06 is a safe queen now for that very reason, it's only in the safe for sentimental reasons.

OP
H

Hornet156

FNG
Magnums pound people, and brakes are deafening. For a first rifle, I'd go 6.5 creed or smaller so you can work on marksmanship and precision shot placement.

Is there a bullet diameter minimum for the game you want to target in the states you are planning to hunt? If so, find it out, and use that as the starting point to guide your decision on what to get, sticking with the tikka t3x factory chamberings.

I will say though 25 cal bullet options are pretty lousy, and if you can even find good ones to buy, you basically have to handload. My 25/06 is a safe queen now for that very reason, it's only in the safe for sentimental reasons.
I'm in CA and will mostly be targeting deer in state and Deer/Elk in the nearby western states. I need to look more into min. calibur.