Open sights

Felix40

WKR
I went through almost a dozen different sight setups for my muzzleloader and finally decided on a 1/16” brass front bead and a rear peep with removable center to make it a ghost ring. It’s a traditional style gun but I still feel very confident at 150yds. 6 o’clock hold is the most precise way to aim with regular open sights.

I was super happy when NM got the new open sight requirement. No more single shot rifle season.

Rifle, pistol, muzzleloader...I like them all the same. Impact on the top edge of the sight.

Covering up what I'm shooting at doesn't make much sense to me.

fishslap

WKR
Sounds like a six o-clock to me….

If I aimed at the very bottom of the orange six inch circle I shoot at, at the six o’clock hand position, then it would be a six o’clock hold. I aim at the center and split the circle with the top of the post, therefore it’s a center hold aiming method.

A six o’clock hold can be a more precise aiming position at the range, but I put my orange circle on a black square shoot n c target and move it out from 75 to 100, so I like to see my hits easily on the target between those ranges using the same aim point. I have a six inch drop at 100 with round balls so my 75 yard shots are at the top of the circle and 100 yards at the bottom. A six o’clock hold puts me off my target and into the white paper or bottom of the target board at 100. Just personal preference but it’s still a center hold and not a six o’clock.

UncleBone

WKR
I was able to get it done this year with the williams western precision with a green dot. At 30 yards its pretty accurate.

Felix40

WKR
I actually looked it up too. The description he is using is exactly what I’ve heard called a 6oclock hold. Apparently I don’t use a 6 o’clock hold but it sure feels like it and that’s what everyone I know calls it.

I’m not sure if all these diagrams are antiquated or everyone I know is mixed up but those two on the right seem about as practical as a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin getting it on.

Even now that I’m “educated” I’m inclined to refer to the two practical sight pictures as either 1. Covering the bull or 2. 6oclock hold.