OnX tips or replacement suggestions

Bluto

WKR
I hunted Using OnX this year for the first time, might be time for an actual GPS backup if I can’t get some issues resolved.

I downloaded all all of my needed offline maps before leaving for camp, with all layers that I would want/need. After about a day and a half to two days, it’s would all dump from offline mode, and no service to reclaim it until going back to town for resupply.

It would hold all waypoints, and the map detail was still available based on the size of the map I downloaded, but all layers would disappear. Not exactly good when you suddenly don’t have the boundaries for the unit you’re hunting in. All of the layers were still selected, they just disappeared. Unit boundaries were bad enough on the legal side of things, but all MVUM info dropping was maddening, on top of that.

Anyone have suggestions? Same issues with basemap?

Brendan

WKR
Gaia GPS is my primary. Pretty much same features, different interface, cheaper. Never had an issue with it after multiple years in the field.

Have up the web version now scouting out some areas near home...

Me too - Gaia GPS. Friends have OnX and its nice, but Gaia is cheaper and more versatile for hunting and other activities.

Wrench

WKR
My phone locked up in onx last week. I tried to restart and clear the cache....all to no avail. I like a dedicated GPS for this very reason.

BaseMap

I hunted Using OnX this year for the first time, might be time for an actual GPS backup if I can’t get some issues resolved.

I downloaded all all of my needed offline maps before leaving for camp, with all layers that I would want/need. After about a day and a half to two days, it’s would all dump from offline mode, and no service to reclaim it until going back to town for resupply.

It would hold all waypoints, and the map detail was still available based on the size of the map I downloaded, but all layers would disappear. Not exactly good when you suddenly don’t have the boundaries for the unit you’re hunting in. All of the layers were still selected, they just disappeared. Unit boundaries were bad enough on the legal side of things, but all MVUM info dropping was maddening, on top of that.

Anyone have suggestions? Same issues with basemap?

BaseMap allows very large areas to be downloaded to your device. And almost every layer we have available can be downloaded so that you aren't missing the key information you are looking for in the field.

OnX has been frustrating me big time for several years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - iphone 8plus. I have logged into my sons brand new iphone X and its the same extremely sluggish (60 plus seconds) to do anything and the same frozen state when saving a waypoint. It also has been crashing much more lately.

With Gaia my phone has always been super responsive and performs as expected. I have yet to have an issue.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
I’ll give Gaia a try, plenty of time to dope something out for next year at this point. And maybe I can massage OnX enough that it’s fine, but this was a new iPhone XR, and didn’t work so well.

Basemap - understand, and I had been doing the same thing with OnX, the issue is that the layers don’t hold. Is that a reported issue with BaseMap as well and if so, is there a fix?

BaseMap

I’ll give Gaia a try, plenty of time to dope something out for next year at this point. And maybe I can massage OnX enough that it’s fine, but this was a new iPhone XR, and didn’t work so well.

Basemap - understand, and I had been doing the same thing with OnX, the issue is that the layers don’t hold. Is that a reported issue with BaseMap as well and if so, is there a fix?

As far as I know, we haven't had any reported issues of layers not loading. Any layer that you have active when you cache (save) a map will be included in the download. The more layers and the larger the area, the longer it will take to download from home.

OnX has been frustrating me big time for several years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - iphone 8plus. I have logged into my sons brand new iphone X and its the same extremely sluggish (60 plus seconds) to do anything and the same frozen state when saving a waypoint. It also has been crashing much more lately.

I've had major crashing issues and freezing lately as well. Most of the time its happening when I am out of coverage and trying to use offline maps. Offline maps saved -> open Onx and as fast as possible click Off-Grid -> Go Offline. Sometimes this works, but most of the time it doesn't. Locks up and crashes and go through the same process until I give up

wapitibob

WKR
Onx works fine on my iPhone X; multiple states and over 70, 5 mile offline maps saved. put the phone in airplane mode then start onx and most of these problems go away.

Onx does/did have a problem with android memory usage and hundreds of waypoints/tracks; The phone locks up at onx startup.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I thought I was happy with onX on my iPhone. Then I checked it out on my buddy’s android. Huge difference. He doesn’t seem to have any of the problems I’ve just assumed were part of the deal. His saved maps are right there and crystal clear with not loading delay. Layers on my phone are hit and miss. Always there on his. Something is going to change for me by next season. It won’t me my phone...

The only problem I’ve had with onx on my iPhone XR is occasionally my map gets stuck in satellite mode which is a killer because I like to primarily use topo. I’ve never used any thing other than hunt stand and onx but haven’t felt a need to explore other options.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
I had issues with OnX directional compass leading me in the wrong direction this week. Super frustrating realizing you are going the wrong direction after a half hour of bushwhacking . I switched over to Gaia and had no issues.

Onx works fine on my iPhone X; multiple states and over 70, 5 mile offline maps saved. put the phone in airplane mode then start onx and most of these problems go away.

Onx does/did have a problem with android memory usage and hundreds of waypoints/tracks; The phone locks up at onx startup.

I have tried that already and I see no difference in performance. I have deleted the app and reinstalled it and that has not worked either. As mentioned I tried it my middle sons iPhone X and it’s the same crap slow performance and its only with the onX app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my problem. I've got tons of waypoints and tracks saved. I put phone in airplane mode and then open Onx and try to get to offline mode before it freezes. 80 percent of the time it freezes or crashes either way. If I have phone service I don't have this problem. It only seems to be when I dont have coverage and try to use offline.

Did you hear of a fix for it? I've tried restarting phone and restarting Onx . Closing all other applications, etc

wapitibob

WKR
I have not yet heard if they have fixed it. My hunting partner bought a brand new droid phone and he had to use my account on our hunts. The phone has tons of memory but only about 8 gig is actual internal memory. All memory on an Iphone is internal memory. I have never heard of basemap or gaia having the memory issue.

The current work around is to back up those waypoints/tracks then delete them off the account. You can sort by date now so that helps but really, folders is the way to organize that data and if/when they do that, pulling some of that unused data off the phone will be a lot easier.

derricklay23

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been happy with OnX but going to try a few others like GAIA bc I hadn’t heard of that app before! Good information!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk