OnX Question: Downloading and using out of state map?

I have a premium OnX membership that covers Oregon. The app lets me download maps for out of state areas (can’t see land ownership, but I don’t care about that).

Does anyone have actual experience doing this and then going to the out of state area and using the maps you downloaded?

I got a last minute spot on a AK float trip this summer, and I’d rather not find out my navigation system doesn’t work when I’m 150 miles outside of Bethel.

Spoonman

WKR
Do it all the time. Lived in Wa and downloaded maps for MT, ID, PA, OR and they all worked just fine. You can choose the size of map you want based on how good of a map you want. The smaller the map the better the detail.

@onX Hunt I've been wondering about something similar as well.
I have multiple maps that I've downloaded in the past. I can see the square. But when I try and use the map it won't work.
Its like I have to update the download before loosing service?
I can understand if I don't update i may not have the most current info. But not even a usable download?
I've had it happen multiple times and in different spots.

I do out-of-state all the time. The filters are state-to-state, so if I go to Colorado I have to go into my Colorado filters and add "Private Land Ownership". Just because I have it on for my home state doesn't mean it is on when I go to another.

Bendejo

Lil-Rokslider
Whatever you do, make sure to..... Re-download your offline maps at your last wifi spot before the hunt. Idk why @onX Hunt changed that setting this year, but it Hella sucks.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

OP
DawnPatrol
You should be able to test out the maps by putting your phone in airplane mode. I always do that before a trip to make sure the maps are set.
Yeah I did that, and it seemed to work…but then again I was sitting on my couch, not in the Kilbucks. I guess I’m just paranoid. Thanks for humoring a Luddite.

OP
DawnPatrol
Whatever you do, make sure to..... Re-download your offline maps at your last wifi spot before the hunt. Idk why @onX Hunt changed that setting this year, but it Hella sucks.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Is this different than just updating all your downloaded maps right before you leave?

OP
DawnPatrol
Do it all the time. Lived in Wa and downloaded maps for MT, ID, PA, OR and they all worked just fine. You can choose the size of map you want based on how good of a map you want. The smaller the map the better the detail.
To be clear, you have the “premium” (ie. state-specific) subscription, not the “elite” (ie. Country-wide) subscription?

OP
DawnPatrol
Sorry no I have the elite . I believe with the state version you can drop waypoints but don’t believe you can download maps.
It lets me download the maps (and drop waypoints) for out-of-state areas. I guess my concern is whether it’s going to show me where I am on the downloaded maps when I’m out of state.

@onX Hunt I've been wondering about something similar as well.
I have multiple maps that I've downloaded in the past. I can see the square. But when I try and use the map it won't work.
Its like I have to update the download before loosing service?
I can understand if I don't update i may not have the most current info. But not even a usable download?
I've had it happen multiple times and in different spots.
Make sure you’re in offline mode in the app, possibly put the phone on airplane mode. I had similar issues this summer when I had a bar or less of service and the app was trying to do it based on service, ran it in offline maps and airplane mode snd it cleared it up

Side note, anyone having issues with property ownership layers in offline maps? It’s like I’m losing the public land layer when I go offline

Spoonman

WKR
It lets me download the maps (and drop waypoints) for out-of-state areas. I guess my concern is whether it’s going to show me where I am on the downloaded maps when I’m out of state.
That’s a great question. My guess would be yes it should because then the app is running on your gps.

fmyth

WKR
Showing you where you are at on the downloaded map is a function of your phones GPS. Make sure to turn on all of the layers you want and download maps for the area you will be hunting. You will have 3 choices: 5 miles wide High Res, 10 miles wide Med Res and 150 miles wide Low Res. I always download the high res small area map and a larger area lower res map of my area. If I have plan A and plan B hunting area I will download multiple high res and low res maps before my trip. You will also want to go into your phones "location" settings and take a look. My phone has a low and high GPS/location accuracy setting. The high accuracy setting does use more battery but accuracy of location it is important to me when hunting.

wapitibob

WKR
I have over 300, 5 mile maps from multiple states and they all work just fine.
Download your 5 mile maps with good wifi or unlimited cell service and as noted, make sure you have all the layers for offline use turned on.
Always go to airplane mode before you open onX, that will eliminate most problems that people have. OnX has a big update coming, you might wait till after season for that one; some people have had issues with major releases.