onX Hunt Tutorial/Q&A

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Great thread! Been using onX for a couple years, my only question-

It seems random, but I get this annoying line trying to take me from my location Back to another waypoint I have saved. It’s like I asked it to take me to waypoint A, but I haven’t. How do I get it to stop?

Do you have a screenshot of what that looks like?

It could have accidentally enabled the "Go-To", does the "# of miles away" and direction box show up in the upper left hand corner? If so, tap the x and that would remove that line and information from the map.

CMF

WKR
Is there any way to save a group of favorite way point types or hide ones we don't use?
I don't want to scroll through, "jeep", "horse", and "Sasquatch" that I'll never use to get to "scrape" or "tracks"and other frequently used way point types. Or maybe the most frequent could show up first vs alphabetical...

Any plan to provide a range on the road-less area layer or possibly include trail-less areas? For areas in the east, Mississippi for example, there is very little land that shows up as road less due to the excessive amount of roads.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any way to save a group of favorite way point types or hide ones we don't use?
I don't want to scroll through, "jeep", "horse", and "Sasquatch" that I'll never use to get to "scrape" or "tracks"and other frequently used way point types. Or maybe the most frequent could show up first vs alphabetical...

Any plan to provide a range on the road-less area layer or possibly include trail-less areas? For areas in the east, Mississippi for example, there is very little land that shows up as road less due to the excessive amount of roads.

Stay tuned as we do have more customization with waypoints and your most used appearing first coming very soon. Thanks for the feedback on the roadless layer, I'll bring that up to our team so we can improve on that.

Reactions: CMF

11boo

WKR
Do you have a screenshot of what that looks like?

It could have accidentally enabled the "Go-To", does the "# of miles away" and direction box show up in the upper left hand corner? If so, tap the x and that would remove that line and information from the map.
No screenshot, if it happens again I’ll get one. Probably “operator error” lol.
Thanks for the reply.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
thanks Robbie, this is happening sometime when tracking is on, sometimes off.

of course it is not happening now. Just got back from a couple days of scouting, no issues.
Sure, I’m pretty sure it’s what @onX Hunt said. You’ve just got the “go to“ function on. If you’re seeing a mileage box, just hit that X in that box and it’ll shut it off.

The function is for when you’re at one place and you want to go to a waypoint you hit “go to“ and then follow that line. Very handy when needed.

Last edited:

dcopher

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody else login to OnX and see that they are working on 3D mapping? Says coming soon. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

CMF

WKR
Anybody else login to OnX and see that they are working on 3D mapping? Says coming soon. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

Just saw that this morning while downloading some offline maps for an upcoming hunt.

My question now, is there a plan to add elevation layers? I think that is a pretty useful layer, but like the roadless layer, the ranges should be adjustable and not set at a fixed range like "10k-11.5k"

Slope contours layer would be nice too...

Ripalip7

FNG
My apologies that I never received a notification for this.
Are you still having this issue with the app?
Feel free to shoot us a message or give us a call at 406-540-1600 so we can look up your account and gather more information to get you up and running again!

As far as exporting waypoints, you can do that and this page will walk you through that process
How to Export/Save Your waypoints to your computer

SO I am able to export the data but when I put it back in to OnX it seems to double up on some of my way points. How do i keep it from doing that? Also is there a way to keep the way point type once it imported back into OnX or do you have to go back and retype all of the way points? I just get the Red X when I import it back on to OnX.

Thanks
Charlie

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Just saw that this morning while downloading some offline maps for an upcoming hunt.

My question now, is there a plan to add elevation layers? I think that is a pretty useful layer, but like the roadless layer, the ranges should be adjustable and not set at a fixed range like "10k-11.5k"

Slope contours layer would be nice too...
Thanks for the feedback and input. We are looking into additional elevation information so this helps us develop that feature.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
SO I am able to export the data but when I put it back in to OnX it seems to double up on some of my way points. How do i keep it from doing that? Also is there a way to keep the way point type once it imported back into OnX or do you have to go back and retype all of the way points? I just get the Red X when I import it back on to OnX.

Thanks
Charlie

Unfortunately since the exported file has all waypoints exported into the file, there is no way to filter out any when it is imported back into a system which is why you are seeing some duplicates. Additionally, at this time they are defaulted to the generic waypoint, we are looking into this so all the information and customization is exported with it.

Yet another super helpful post for a newbie dipping their toes in all of this. Really appreciate the time others have put in on these threads.

SoDak_23

FNG
Big Fan of OnX. Have been occasionally using OnX for a couple years but now getting more use as I have some western trips coming up. My question is about Roads and trails. I have check out the legend about highway vs two track vs dirt road. And maybe this isn't for OnX but how or what is the best way to find out if the two track or dirt trail is public and I am able to legally drive on that road?

SteepandDeep

Lil-Rokslider
My iPhone won’t backup because I don’t have enough cloud storage and found the onX app needs 3.5 GB but my limit is 5. I tried exporting my data/content from the web map using gpx and kml on a chrome book but the files won’t open or do anything. Probably not an onX problem; just trying to learn. Any ideas?