onX Hunt Tutorial/Q&A

Skuhzz

FNG
Thanks for this thread guys! Been a member of onX for 2 years now and absolutely love it. Just a general question, how often do you update land owner information?

wapitibob

WKR
can you upload from garmin basecamp back to onx? I have been using the chip and just purchased the membership to be able to use my phone instead of carrying additional electronics into the field. It would be very helpful to import all of my garmin handheld data to OnX

yes, plug in the handheld gps, open the onX web map and from "my content" choose "import". Navigate to the handheld gps Garmin/GPX folder (the gps will be shown as a new drive) and pick the tracks or waypoints you want to import.

You can also use basecamp to export your gps data to a folder on the pc and point to that folder from onX web map and import.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for this thread guys! Been a member of onX for 2 years now and absolutely love it. Just a general question, how often do you update land owner information?

Historically we have updated each state at minimum once per year and we're currently building a process that will allow us to update more frequently. We work with the counties as well as state/federal agencies on obtaining our information so we reflect what they have in their digitized system.

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
can you upload from garmin basecamp back to onx? I have been using the chip and just purchased the membership to be able to use my phone instead of carrying additional electronics into the field. It would be very helpful to import all of my garmin handheld data to OnX

As Wapitibob outlined, yes you can.
This link gives a detailed tutorial on importing to onX.

Import to onX

Just ordered onX and I'm in need of a crash course. My buddy sent me some way points to my phone but I would like to view them om my computer. How do I send them from my phone to my computer? Thanks

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Just ordered onX and I'm in need of a crash course. My buddy sent me some way points to my phone but I would like to view them om my computer. How do I send them from my phone to my computer? Thanks

If he shared them over and they are appearing on your phone, all you need to do is log into your account on the Web Map on our website and that information will appear. Any markups you make on one device will automatically sync to your account and appear on the other one.
Click HERE to log into the Web Map

As for a crash course, we have a ton of tutorials and frequently asked questions available on our website as well.
THIS link brings you to that page and feel free to send us a message if you have any other questions.

Rhino8541

WKR
Can you share waypoints while both phones are in airplane mode via bluetooth or another method?

Is it possible to save the satellite layer in high-resolution offline? I notice that even when I select the smallest/highest resolution offline map, the satellite imagery is not as crisp as it is with cellular service.

Would be a cool feature to add. If file size is the concern, it would be nice to be able to download a 1 sq mile area (down from 5) with the highest resolution satellite imagery that you could get through cellular.

Some of the areas I hunt are so incredibly thick that I will zoom in as much as possible to try and find the path of least resistance.

Linkovich

Lil-Rokslider
What happened to being able to adjust the transparency of the map layers? Used to be very easy to do but if it's still an option I can't find it now with neither the website or the app.

ChasinDoes

Lil-Rokslider
What happened to being able to adjust the transparency of the map layers? Used to be very easy to do but if it's still an option I can't find it now with neither the website or the app.
They got rid of that feature. I emailed them and asked and they said they made it automatic as you zoom in and out now. Wish they would go back to the old way

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Linkovich

Lil-Rokslider
They got rid of that feature. I emailed them and asked and they said they made it automatic as you zoom in and out now. Wish they would go back to the old way

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Dang that sucks. Not a fan at all. Most of where I hunt is very thick and flat so I have to be able to scroll around zoomed pretty far out and see different tree density's to get an idea of where I want to be. Can't do that now with out turning the govt land layer on and off.

wapitibob

WKR
Is it possible to save the satellite layer in high-resolution offline? I notice that even when I select the smallest/highest resolution offline map, the satellite imagery is not as crisp as it is with cellular service.

Would be a cool feature to add. If file size is the concern, it would be nice to be able to download a 1 sq mile area (down from 5) with the highest resolution satellite imagery that you could get through cellular.

Some of the areas I hunt are so incredibly thick that I will zoom in as much as possible to try and find the path of least resistance.

google doesn't allow onX to save their imagery offline

Ripalip7

FNG
App is locking up or crashing! I believe from the information that I read on ONX web page is that my excessive amount of way points (800+) is making my app crash in airplane mode. I have read about exporting the data and saving it on my computer. My question is what is the best way to save this data? Will my markups colors change? Should I organize it by state? How are people managing this issue?

11boo

WKR
Great thread! Been using onX for a couple years, my only question-

It seems random, but I get this annoying line trying to take me from my location Back to another waypoint I have saved. It’s like I asked it to take me to waypoint A, but I haven’t. How do I get it to stop?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
App is locking up or crashing! I believe from the information that I read on ONX web page is that my excessive amount of way points (800+) is making my app crash in airplane mode. I have read about exporting the data and saving it on my computer. My question is what is the best way to save this data? Will my markups colors change? Should I organize it by state? How are people managing this issue?
so sorry for no answer on this. I thought I was subscribed.

@onX Hunt can you help him with this?

I don't have near that many waypoints saved so that has not been an issue for me.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great thread! Been using onX for a couple years, my only question-

It seems random, but I get this annoying line trying to take me from my location Back to another waypoint I have saved. It’s like I asked it to take me to waypoint A, but I haven’t. How do I get it to stop?
hi, do you have your tracker turned on? Is the line red?

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider

My apologies that I never received a notification for this.
Are you still having this issue with the app?
Feel free to shoot us a message or give us a call at 406-540-1600 so we can look up your account and gather more information to get you up and running again!

As far as exporting waypoints, you can do that and this page will walk you through that process
How to Export/Save Your waypoints to your computer