One thing missing

Going on my first real back country camping hunt for muley’s in Idaho in October. What’s the one thing that you wished you’d brought along with you on your last back country hunt?

I love my OnX app on my phone but it was difficult to see during the day because of the sun glare. I wish I would have had a good paper map. Although, you asked the question about what's the one thing that was left behind. I specifically purchased a Garmin InReach Mini for my latest back county hunt and was very impressed on the results.

Extrapale

WKR
Pillow, more food, more water, warmer sleeping bag to name a few.

I have neen known to not have enough of all the above because I tried to save weight when packing.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

OP
LetItFly43

I have neen known to not have enough of all the above because I tried to save weight when packing.

That’s the dilemma we are weighing out now. (No pun intended) Saving weight vs what we perceive to be the necessities.

OP
LetItFly43

I have a blow up pillow I’ve used camping before. And I’m getting a merino liner for my sleeping bag. Gonna check two of those off!

OP
LetItFly43
I love my OnX app on my phone but it was difficult to see during the day because of the sun glare. I wish I would have had a good paper map. Although, you asked the question about what's the one thing that was left behind. I specifically purchased a Garmin InReach Mini for my latest back county hunt and was very impressed on the results.
My buddy just bought an in reach and I have my regular garmin and phone with onx. I really might look into getting a couple paper maps too.

OP
LetItFly43
More Water and better shelter. :cool:
I’ve got a good light weight kelty shelter. Which I will be adding some more waterproofing on tomorrow. And we have a couple of sawyer squeeze’s and will be setting camp next to a creek or pond. Depending on how far back in we want to go. I’m hoping we’ll be good on the water.

OP
LetItFly43
Foam sitting / glassing pad. Keeps your bum warm on rocks, and dry on grass. A chair is even cozier, but weighs more.
I already have the foam glassing pad from my trips elk hunting. That thing is the most underrated and useful piece of gear in my pack. I won’t hunt out west without it!