One point of advice

Howā€™s the training going
September is around the corner.

Your Got all your gear broken in and some miles and dust on your boots.?

Iā€™ve been running 15-16 miles a week ( 4x 4 miles) and my endurance is getting better.

1 more thing I got

In a ziplock bag with your TP addā€¦
Fat sticks ( aka pitchy pine for starting fires)
You can sliver them up so they are even smaller. They will get it going in a pinch.

1 mini bottle 151 or everclear ( you might have to fill it yourself from a bigger bottle) gotta be high proof to burn.

Tissue paper.
Tiny magnifier ( I got mine as a mini loupe used for horticulture ) you can use it to start a spark with the sun light.

This all weighs less than 3 oz and while it may not be useful every trip.. I do use it a lot.
Obviously fire safety etcā€¦

Also add

a silver space blanket and a pair of 99c ladies nylons
( lots of uses h20 filter, insulation,extra glove liner and they weigh nothing. )

I alway have this ^ in a ziplock.

Be prepared to feel a little off the first few days. I live in GA so damn near sea level. Every time Iā€™m up high chasing mule deer I feel a little ā€œhungoverā€ the first few days. Everyone Iā€™ve hunted with has experienced some form of elevation sickness to a degree. Drink tons of water and have a realistic game plan. Itā€™s a different ballgame than chasing whitetails.

Thatā€™s for sure a concern of mine. Appreciate the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howā€™s the training going
September is around the corner.

Your Got all your gear broken in and some miles and dust on your boots.?

Iā€™ve been running 15-16 miles a week ( 4x 4 miles) and my endurance is getting better.

1 more thing I got

In a ziplock bag with your TP addā€¦
Fat sticks ( aka pitchy pine for starting fires)
You can sliver them up so they are even smaller. They will get it going in a pinch.

1 mini bottle 151 or everclear ( you might have to fill it yourself from a bigger bottle) gotta be high proof to burn.

Tissue paper.
Tiny magnifier ( I got mine as a mini loupe used for horticulture ) you can use it to start a spark with the sun light.

This all weighs less than 3 oz and while it may not be useful every trip.. I do use it a lot.
Obviously fire safety etcā€¦

Also add

a silver space blanket and a pair of 99c ladies nylons
( lots of uses h20 filter, insulation,extra glove liner and they weigh nothing. )

I alway have this ^ in a ziplock.

Yes, September is approaching quickly and I can feel the pressure. Training is going wellā€¦. I am primarily rucking 8-10 miles/week with 45lbs in my pack on steep terrain. I plan to start increasing mileage and intensity this month. A friend of mine also sent me the EXO training course that is designed to be completed 4-5 weeks before your hunt. I am strongly considering starting. Has anyone had any experience with this program?

I am also going camping the next few weekends to double check & test gear. My Schnees Timberlines are breaking in great. However, my right foot which has been giving me trouble the last year(due to long days in the coal mines) is really starting to increase in pain. It has been diagnosed with plantar, tarsal tunnel & a small heel spur. I just ordered some sheep feet, so hopefully I can find some relief.

Thanks for the fire starting tipsā€¦ I will make note of them!

Learn how to shoot your gun well. No amount of cardio, glassing, or ultralight gear will put a deer in your pack if you can't hit shit.....just saying.

I'd rather be a slow and fat turd who could shoot good than a mountain ninja that couldn't hit anything.

Learn how to shoot your gun well. No amount of cardio, glassing, or ultralight gear will put a deer in your pack if you can't hit shit.....just saying.

I'd rather be a slow and fat turd who could shoot good than a mountain ninja that couldn't hit anything.

I needed to hear this

Plus it was a good laugh.

Good luck with the feet; itā€™s no jokes especially as you get older.

Even little corns/plantars can really impact especially if your footwear is too tight or not broken in.

Iā€™ve found my magic shoes that work with my feet issues and just wish they made them in a gtx style hiking boot. Once I find what works with shoes I stick to them.

As far as fat guy who shoots good vs mtn ninja.

1. Most of the older hunters I know who have large trophy rooms and lots of full freezers shoot heavier calibers 7mag, 300 win mag. How much do they practice with expensive rounds at longer range ? Iā€™m sure they burn a few boxes sighting in, but I donā€™t think they are shooting 500 or more rounds a year out of their hunting rifle.

2. All of them that still hunt are in real good shape, these guys are mid 60s to mid 70s most hunt on horseback at elevation and have hunted the same area for 30-50 years. They all love to BS about hunting and the biggest thing ALL of them have told me is they know the area and the animals really well. They go in every year and bring back what their tags allow. They know where they are. They are hunting the same lineage/
Bloodline. They have made kills at the exact same spot decades apart in time.

I think this is the biggest X factor, call it experience, but itā€™s a lot more than that one word.

These guys have spent a lot of time and lifeā€™s resources pursuing these animals, and the descendants of these animals.

I donā€™t have that yet,
Any thing that helps me succeed is a tool to use, fitness is an easy one.
Look at nature, who survives

Also finding hunting grounds that you like to hunt and are well managed. I need to work on this, but Its a lifelong goal.

But yeah also shooting a lot can help, a 223 trainer has been invaluable for me.
if I can shoot at least 2k rounds of .223 a year Thatā€™s a big boost in accuracy/precision

this turned into a novel,

Back