6.5 PRC Regrets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
What does it do out to 300 yds, or even inside of 400 yds, better, to offset all the negatives it brings?

GR
Better that what? Better than a 223? Nothing. Better that a 300 PRC, quite a lot.

Randyb

FNG
Zero regrets from owning a couple 6.5 PRC’s. I do own a 270 like stated. But the 6.5 bullets are very efficient. I guess I’ve been fortunate with components. If I want box ammo midsouth has been emailing me daily with 6.5prc ammo in stock. I love the cartridge. It fills a lot of gaps.
nice!!!!!

Better that what? Better than a 223? Nothing. Better that a 300 PRC, quite a lot.

Better than the good ole .270 Winchester, of course.

What does the 6.5 PRC do out to 300 yds, or even inside of 400 yds, better, to offset all the negatives it brings?

GR

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Better than the good ole .270 Winchester, of course.

What does the 6.5 PRC do out to 300 yds, or even inside of 400 yds, better, to offset all the negatives it brings?

GR
It brings no negatives when compared to the 270. So, your question is evidence of ignorance. Between the two, you are splitting hairs to find a difference at those ranges.

The lack of any substantive support for an argument you started is pretty strong evidence of trolling. So, good job on succeeding on that front.

Last edited:

Syncerus1

FNG
I'm a convert to the 6.5 PRC. Used one to kill a sheep @580 yards. Have one now that, off the bench, is quite simply, with factory 147 ELD-M's one of the most accurate rifles I've ever fired. Any range out to only 660 yards so far, and everything under that. I can watch the impact, which is a zero occurrence with my .300WM, 180 gr. Hornady SF SST's... I haven't killed out very far, only around 1360 yards, but pretty regularly in the 700-800 yard range w/ .300WM. That will be a chip shot w/6.5 PRC... not much need to go further. Oh by the way I've used the 300 PRC and it is also a go getter. The PRC's are factory ammo creations that are capable of "over the horizon" performance... try that with a .270...

Elite

WKR
I'm a convert to the 6.5 PRC. Used one to kill a sheep @580 yards. Have one now that, off the bench, is quite simply, with factory 147 ELD-M's one of the most accurate rifles I've ever fired. Any range out to only 660 yards so far, and everything under that. I can watch the impact, which is a zero occurrence with my .300WM, 180 gr. Hornady SF SST's... I haven't killed out very far, only around 1360 yards, but pretty regularly in the 700-800 yard range w/ .300WM. That will be a chip shot w/6.5 PRC... not much need to go further. Oh by the way I've used the 300 PRC and it is also a go getter. The PRC's are factory ammo creations that are capable of "over the horizon" performance... try that with a .270...

Are you using a muzzle break?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Syncerus1

FNG
Yes SRS Ti Pro 2 Muzzle Dia. .860 on Proof Elevation (not MTR). Wonderful platform!

It brings no negatives when compared to the 270. So, your question is evidence of ignorance...

On the contrary:

- Increased factory ammo cost.
- increased reloading component cost.
- diminished reloading component availability.
- diminished factory ammo offerings.
- diminished factory ammo availability.
- diminished factory rifle offerings.
- diminished performance in 22" sporter barrels.
- diminished magazine capacity.
- diminished feeding reliability.
- diminished chance that the cartridge will be here tomorrow.

PPU loads .270 Winchester for ~ $15/20 box, in quality reloadable brass.

Inexpensive and available training ammo, and free reloadable brass.

Careful throwing that "ignorant" word around, unless you are lookin' in a mirror.

GR

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Careful throwing that "ignorant" word around, unless you are lookin' in a mirror.
Lay out your argument at the outset, and a discussion can be had, make lackadaisical statements and then decline to discuss them further when asked and it sounds very ignorant. Glad to be able to provoke you into productivity.

Now, as I would not buy either a 270, nor a 6.5 PRC, I will admit my ignorance on the two and my lack of interest in correcting it. However, I still cannot figure our why anyone would buy a 270 or 6.5 PRC for use exclusively inside 300 yards, so it also strikes me as a worthless and contrived use case that is not worth much discussion.

Lay out your argument at the outset, and a discussion can be had, make lackadaisical statements and then decline to discuss them further when asked and it sounds very ignorant. Glad to be able to provoke you into productivity.

Now, as I would not buy either a 270, nor a 6.5 PRC, I will admit my ignorance on the two and my lack of interest in correcting it. However, I still cannot figure our why anyone would buy a 270 or 6.5 PRC for use exclusively inside 300 yards, so it also strikes me as a worthless and contrived use case that is not worth much discussion.

So, now your argument is that the ole .270 Winchester, as a hunting cartridge, is irrelevant?

Do tell.

GR

Syncerus1

FNG
Why would anyone choose any centerfire cartridge within a range of 10 feet? Relevance? See 5.56 M4, but then only for about 6 seconds with a standard 30 round magazine. C'mon guys this convo is worthless, but yet here we are...

Someone just needs to be right.

This is a ridiculous argument, and I’m sure we could easily come up with a cartridge with fewer negatives than a .270 Win.

Hell, a 6.5 CM pretty easily makes the .270 irrelevant from 3-400 and in. Ammo everywhere, lower recoil, everyone chambers one, components are easy to find. Plenty of terminal performance for anything in NA.

Who cares? Shoot what you want. If something else is “better” in someone else’s mind, good for them.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
What a dumpster fire this thread has become.
Yes, and what does this cartridge hate stuff accomplish?
It's pretty easy to gather all the info you desire about a cartridge, especially after it has been out awhile. If that cartridge and the components/ammo for it meet your goals, buy it. If not, don't buy it.
Too easy I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.