One pin or three pin slider

paxamus

WKR
I’m chiming in as well for the Option Archery sights! I have an old Option 8 and the newer Canyon Pounder- amazing sights where you can have both the multi pin and single pin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Duuane

FNG
I’m chiming in as well for the Option Archery sights! I have an old Option 8 and the newer Canyon Pounder- amazing sights where you can have both the multi pin and single pin!

I'll look at them as well, picking a bow or other archery accessories is like getting ice cream at Baskin Robbins, there's a lot of good choices, but eventually you have to pick just one.

Wolf13

FNG
I'll look at them as well, picking a bow or other archery accessories is like getting ice cream at Baskin Robbins, there's a lot of good choices, but eventually you have to pick just one.
It gets even harder with option as you can customize all the pins. Mine are all green and the same size, but I’d do it differently if I had a chance.

Maxhunter

WKR
I’ve been using a single pin since 2006 and have taken a lot animals and I live out west. I currently use a Montana Black Ascent Verdict dual track. I’ve always set my single to 30yds and just aim high or low out 40yds. With the dual track my first pin is adjusted to 30yds and the second pin is 40yds. I practice a lot with it. I’m comfortable shooting to 50yds with my second pin. This system works for me.

Sled

WKR
I value sight picture and leave my single pin on 30. I know the drops so I don't move it unless my shot is over 50.

I think everybody is susceptible to human error in different ways. I got lost in the 5 pin one year and missed a simple 20-25 yard shot. All those pretty colors are a pain for me. I've just trained myself with a single pin since it played to my strong suit and hope I don't mess up.

OP
D

Duuane

FNG
I'm still on the fence about switching for that reason, using the wrong pin. I may buy the three pin slider, practice at home, test it at TAC and at my buddies 13 target 3D range, and if it works out, keep it on the bow. If not, I'll put the single pin back on for the Montana hunt hoping I don't get caught trying to adjust the sight.

Taudisio

WKR
I'm still on the fence about switching for that reason, using the wrong pin. I may buy the three pin slider, practice at home, test it at TAC and at my buddies 13 target 3D range, and if it works out, keep it on the bow. If not, I'll put the single pin back on for the Montana hunt hoping I don't get caught trying to adjust the sight.
If you can count to 3, and practice with it, you should not have any reservation. Pick the top or bottom pin to be your “main” slider pin. I use my bottom pin more as I prioritize range, but the top pin would give me a better sight picture.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
3 pin slider with dual indicator MBG…different colors for the pins is what I use…top pin is green, middle yellow, bottom red (like stop light). Quick to reference without confusion in the moment, and ability to dial if I need more distance and know what my top/bottom are referenced to at all times. I’ve used a 5 pin fixed on my first bow, and it was too much to think about when I had game at 37 yards…moved to a 3 pin and never looked back. I’ve been successful on game from 20-80 yards (antelope don’t let you get closer in spot and stalk situations).

Taudisio

WKR
☝🏻
My slider is the same. I really enjoyed my fixed 5 pin sights and still have it on my backup bow. My only problem was getting more distance. Picking the right pin for the distance is part of my shot process and brings my mind back down to earth/focusing on my shot process.

OP
D

Duuane

FNG
If you can count to 3, and practice with it, you should not have any reservation. Pick the top or bottom pin to be your “main” slider pin. I use my bottom pin more as I prioritize range, but the top pin would give me a better sight picture.
The big reason I was on the fence is because a few years ago I switched from my single pin back to two fixed pins. One set for 20 and one set for 40. Instead of just splitting the pins for 30 I told myself that if I had a whitetail at 30 I would either hold high with the 20 or low with the 40. It worked perfectly, I had a nice 8 at 30, decided to hold high with the 20. As luck would have it my eye went to the 40 pin which I held high and shot over him. I switched back to the adjustable single pin HHA that night. I likely will buy the 3 pin slider and use the bottom pin as the main one as you pointed out.

Im here in AZ and practice quite a bit with my bow. For years I used a 7 deadly pins from spot hogg. I have taken several animals in the 70-80 yard range. I then switched over to the slider sight by montana black gold. It is an awesome sight and really easy to use in my opinion. I opted for a 6 pin slider, knowing that I will mainly use it as a fixed pin option, but wanted the ability to dial longer shots for practice and the occasional shot opportunity where getting closer is not an option. I set my pins 20-70 with the ability to slider out to 110 for practice.

I have since switched to the Garmin sight and wow, that thing is a game changer.

OP
D

Duuane

FNG
Im here in AZ and practice quite a bit with my bow. For years I used a 7 deadly pins from spot hogg. I have taken several animals in the 70-80 yard range. I then switched over to the slider sight by montana black gold. It is an awesome sight and really easy to use in my opinion. I opted for a 6 pin slider, knowing that I will mainly use it as a fixed pin option, but wanted the ability to dial longer shots for practice and the occasional shot opportunity where getting closer is not an option. I set my pins 20-70 with the ability to slider out to 110 for practice.

I have since switched to the Garmin sight and wow, that thing is a game changer.
I live in western New York so in the winter I can shoot all year in my basement, but only to 15 yards. When it’s nice out I can shoot out to 150 if I want, but with my draw length and poundage I can only adjust to about 120 with 100 being my main max practice distance.

Taudisio

WKR
The big reason I was on the fence is because a few years ago I switched from my single pin back to two fixed pins. One set for 20 and one set for 40. Instead of just splitting the pins for 30 I told myself that if I had a whitetail at 30 I would either hold high with the 20 or low with the 40. It worked perfectly, I had a nice 8 at 30, decided to hold high with the 20. As luck would have it my eye went to the 40 pin which I held high and shot over him. I switched back to the adjustable single pin HHA that night. I likely will buy the 3 pin slider and use the bottom pin as the main one as you pointed out.
IMHO, A 20 yard pin has no business on a hunting bow unless your draw weight is 50 pounds/under, or you are shooting a turkey. Hold 2-3” low with your 30 pin.

OP
D

Duuane

FNG
IMHO, A 20 yard pin has no business on a hunting bow unless your draw weight is 50 pounds/under, or you are shooting a turkey. Hold 2-3” low with your 30 pin.
That not an unreasonable thought.

Pekan

FNG
I went from a fixed 3 pin to a single pin slider. I like the open sight picture and leave the pin at 40 yards. But I shoot a lot leading up to bow season and so have the confidence to gap shoot distances below 40.

Maverick1

WKR
I was fortunate enough to have drawn an archery only bull permit in area 700 for the 2024 season. Last year while hunting rifle mule deer and cow elk I told the guide (at 65 my DIY days are over) my plans to apply for the archery tag, and told him I shoot a 62 pound phase 4 with a single pin HHA slider and practice out to 100 yards. His only recommendation was that I might want to switch to a 3 pin slider. For practice sessions and primarily stand hunting for white tailed deer, the single pin has served me well. Any opinions pro or con about switching to the 3 pin slider? My initial thought is, if I have time to make an adjustment on a 3 pin slider for a shot, then I also would have time to adjust the single pin for the same shot. Thanks for any input
If you can deal with the clutter, three pin. If you can’t, one pin.

I use one pin slider to keep sight picture cleaner. Set it at 34 yards and it’s good enough in elk from point blank to about 37 yards. Beyond 40 yards I am ranging everything.

KISS. Just have to be able to judge one distance in the field: 40 yards. Less than that, shoot. Greater than 40, range and then shoot.

Pekan

FNG
If you can deal with the clutter, three pin. If you can’t, one pin.

I use one pin slider to keep sight picture cleaner. Set it at 34 yards and it’s good enough in elk from point blank to about 37 yards. Beyond 40 yards I am ranging everything.

KISS. Just have to be able to judge one distance in the field: 40 yards. Less than that, shoot. Greater than 40, range and then shoot.
KISS principal, exactly.

I’ve been all around the sight world. Fixed, single, multi sliders, option sights. Currently shooting a MBG dual trac and love it. Adjusted so my pins are 20-35. Like the second reference point and the open sight picture. I find I just shoot significantly better with a vertical pin setup of some sort.
All are good, you just have to practice and be use to it!

I prefer a multi pin over the single. Hunt mostly Midwest whitetail but go out west as well. Nice to have multiple points of reference and can gap shoot pretty easy. Also, I don’t have any problems with clutter in the sight housing compared to the single.

Maverick1

WKR
Actually, your 30 yard pin will likely be dead on at about 6-8 yards, 2” high at 20 yards, dead on again at 30 yards, and about 2-3” low at 35 yards. Try it! (Will vary depending on arrow weight and speed, obviously)