one laaaaaaast question about going to a floorless shelter

sk1

WKR
sorry i ask alot of questions, i like to be sure my hard earned money is really buying what i need or feel i need lol

so im pretty set on the kifaru megatarp and using a UL bivy., but as i read in a different post, what about mice??? i then did some searches and read some really miserable stories about mice coming into floorless shelters and crawling in all your gear on and you while trying to sleep.....the last thing i want is my food eaten or hole in my boot from mice while i sleep, let alone crawling all over me.

i did seem to notice an abnormal amount of mice on my last hunt, what do you floorless shelter guys do to deal with this issue?

Lawnboi

WKR
Mice will get into wherever they want to, flooress or not. Iv had them chew holes in my other fully enclosed shelters. It's a chance you take. I will say iv had mice in my paratarp once. They came in, saw there wasn't food and left instead of getting in and being stuck in a bathtub floor

JG358

WKR
Never had any issues with mice. Come to think of it, the only critter issue I've ever had in a tent was a curious black bear and I'm really happy it was floorless shelter;)

Last edited:
Mice can be a problem anywhere. I have never had any problems with them getting into a tent floorless or otherwise, but on several backpacking trips I have had them get into friends tents or backpacks that had food in them.
If they just have to get in I would rather them walk in instead of chewing their way in.

I have had problems with mice, but not a lot. EXCEPT, for the one time one decided to check out the inside of my mouth while I was snoring, that was a problem.
Mice are going to get into anything if they want too.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
I have had problems with mice, but not a lot. EXCEPT, for the one time one decided to check out the inside of my mouth while I was snoring, that was a problem.
Mice are going to get into anything if they want too.

how did it taste? ha that sucks.

yeah i think im going to get a megatarp for christmas with the annex with my bonus....also it looks like if i really felt the need i can stake it down tight to the ground....great now im going to want a stove lol, but i usually dont need one where i hunt

That doesn't sound like much fun, some camps tend to have mice issues, others not so much probably depends on how many people have been using it.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
i saw a ton of mice this year, but i also started my elk hunt on the 19th of august, however i didnt see them in camp, just at night coming back to camp in the open areas