One eye open or both?

Been messing around with both since getting comfortable with my draw length and using a clicker. I’ve been playing around with both eyes and one eye open and will have consistency in both techniques then for no reason fall apart on any given day after getting comfortable with either. Anyone else have any experience with both or pros/cons for either?

GMann

FNG
I started off with one eye open but have switched to both eyes open. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to as I needed to trust that my dominant eye would take over. I had a few shots where my non-dominant eye ran the show and I completely missed the target. For awhile after that I would aim with both eyes open but then would close my non-dominant eye for a second to double check that I had it right. After some time my dominant eye took over and I've had no issues since. It has been worth it as I experience a lot less eye fatigue and I'm more accurate.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

OP
R
I started off with one eye open but have switched to both eyes open. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to as I needed to trust that my dominant eye would take over. I had a few shots where my non-dominant eye ran the show and I completely missed the target. For awhile after that I would aim with both eyes open but then would close my non-dominant eye for a second to double check that I had it right. After some time my dominant eye took over and I've had no issues since. It has been worth it as I experience a lot less eye fatigue and I'm more accurate.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
Seems like we’re opposite’s I started with both eyes open and was doing well then went to one as I got more comfortable with my draw length, and at first it was going well at distance like 28-34yds. Then going closer seemed to suffer. Now playing around with both my accuracy at all distances is hit and miss, consequently now I’m sucking at both.

bisblue

WKR
I'm right handed, right eye dominant, but better vision in my left. I have to squint my left a little so I don't switch over focus wise every once in a while

Both eyes if your sighting eye is dominant or you’re able to at least keep focus there. If non Sight eye takes over, shut it enough to switch focus back. Definitely a skill that takes practice.

Beendare

WKR
Its weird, I shoot my compound better with one eye…but my recurve better with both open- especially on a hunting shot.

Its like my brain needs all of the info- range, critters body language, etc- on a hunt shot

oldgoat

WKR
Assuming you don't have eye dominance problems as mentioned I think both open is the ticket and unless you're shooting a marked distance, both eyes open is the only way to judge distance accurately for the most part.

OP
R
Looks like I’m gonna play with both open for awhile instead of jumping back and forth during shooting sessions and see what happens after that thanks y’all

MT-Native

FNG
Was trained as a boy on firearms with both eyes open. When I stared fling’n arrows all the same. Closing the left eye feels so strange to me personally when I try.

WoodBow

WKR
Both open for me. You can even squint your non dominant eye a little to kind of hybridize it. Kind of the best of both worlds.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m left-handed, right eye dominate. Better vision in my right eye.
I always shot all guns ( and still do) and a bow left-handed with the right eye closed. For 30 of the last 32 years I have shot a bow right-handed with both eyes open. I am a better shot left-handed with a bow shooting three under. I hunt right-handed split finger because it feels more natural.

I can switch back and forth between shooting right and left handed if I remember when shooting left-handed to close the right eye and grip the string three under.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
It doesn’t matter much as long as you practice. If it made a huge difference you could take a guy who shoots both eyes open, have him shoot with one eye and suddenly his shooting would decline. Do what feels natural.

I'm a rookie but I think in the long run both eyes would be the better option because you get twice the visual information. Consciously it may be hard to use at first but subconsciously the brain should be able to use the extra info to a benefit.

As a gap shooter i look at the target with both open… determine distance… draw with both eyes open… set my gap and once at anchor squint left eye slightly… and pull through the clicker…