Once in a lifetime decision

OP
O

OneTimer

FNG
We turned this guy up late yesterday. This is at 70x on the spotter from 3.5 miles. I’ve spotted a few at this distance and it was very hard to see as much horn as this. Picture quality isn’t the best with the mirage but this gives me some hope that this is a the kind of ram she is looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_8012.jpeg
    IMG_8012.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 67

dtrkyman

WKR
Legal ram gets it in my opinion, of course if scouting is turning up upper class animals then I would be a little more patient.

Enjoy the time in the mountains with the wife, sheep hunting is a pipe dream at this point for me and surely not happening with the wife!

rlm

FNG
I'd hunt the rut given the opportunity. Rams will be moving but if you can locate a large group of ewes that could be to your favor. Let them do the walking.

Eh2110

FNG
Season opened in the 15th and goes until October 14th. We have are planning on leaving next week sometime and planning a n staying until she gets it filled. It’s been a rough year with very little scout time. We have looked over majority of the suggested areas based on the bio but we have not been able to turn up as many rams as they gave intel on. Again, lots of that comes from such little time spent in the unit.

Not sure if waiting for the peak of the rut is a good thing or a bad thing to do. I’d hate to have them start moving country and not be able to turn them back up. She is hoping for a 170’s ram but based on the last 20yrs of records it looks as though 160’s is the average.
When is the rut there? In MT it doesn't get going until November. Looks like you guys turned up one with potential from a distance last night. Hope he ends up being what she is after!

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
The rut should be getting going now! We had sheep tag a few years ago and my cousing shot his ram late August and the rams were starting to pester the ewes. The ram he shot was with 8 other rams and probably 50 ewes.