Old School Kifaru Bags

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Who’s still rocking some of the older stuff?? I’m rocking the OG AMR, with the tactical frame…. Bought this like brand new (used) off here in 2014 or something…. I’ve had the pleasure of packing out muley’s, elk, whitetail, Oklahoma hogs, and an Utah mountain goat! Besides a couple buckles I haven’t really had to replace anything on it. I don’t really see a reason to mess with perfection by “upgrading”…..
e74df9a4fe1207ebc7385d8489caa00d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
I still use my original Kifaru bags. Duplex Timberline 2 and 3, or DT2 and DT3. Multicam. They are in excellent shape. Perfect organization, never saw a need to 'upgrade' to anything else. (I do have an extra DT3 laying around that I'm considering unloading, just haven't gotten around to it yet....it's that time of the year, busy packing and preparing for the season!)

OP
J

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Oooh send some pics of the gen 2 spike camp. That’s a sick setup…. My dad has a DT2 and that is a really cool bag too.

Decker9

WKR
In 2010 I shot a big wolf and had a rug made, cost me $1200 cad. 2011 I got my rug, and wouldn’t fit on any of my walls in my mobile home at the time. I posted it for $1500 cad and had it sold a week later.

On the phone to Aaron about a Kifaru setup, few weeks later I had a New DT1 bag and duplex frame. Its first season was fall 2012, which broke it in with some goat blood. I can’t begin to count the days miles and stains on this bag now, it’s perfectly broken in lol. I still have the old duplex frame, very worn and chewed up from use. I’ll use it for a goat or sheep mount some day.

If I could find a gen 2 with the bigger side and front pockets, I’d probably change up then.

Two weeks ago sheep trip.

IMG_5971.jpeg

I had a DT2 for a long time. Great bag and packed a few critters with it. I sold it this year and will
Probably get an EXO this time around.

pirogue

WKR
The old school bags are better than the 'release 6 new bags every season' bags they have now.

I'll never sell my Timberline 2 (they made internal frame multi day packs once)
And gen2 spikecamp.
Hasn't been anything made since that's made me consider 'upgrading'
X2 I’ll never sell my Timberline 3. Use it for a 3 hour hunt as well as a 3 day bivy.

One would think the company now has a large design group that can’t be terminated, and has to come up with a quota of new bags each year, and discontinue great bags. Take the old Antero, for example. Perfect day bag for deer stands, as handle was on top(imagine that) so it hung against the tree with minimal silhouette. And obviously, easy to pick up. They redesigned it and moved the handle down, as if it’s there for someone behind you to grab on to help get up the hill. It certainly doesn’t hang flush to the tree.

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
I run the smaller high camp and the argali bags. I regret getting rid of my DT2.

OP
J

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on what you consider old school. Still use a bikini frame with a DT1. Still using a frost fire II. Wondering how many know what that is. Mountainsmith before Patrick started kifaru.

I’d like to see a picture of that!! To cool man!!

seand

WKR
IMG_0185.jpeg

Photo above is a full boned out Muley plus camp. I’ve seen these packs cheap at the used gear shop, I got lucky and my neighbor gave me a couple. People don’t know how good they are. 26” alum stays, 6k+ bag and it weighs 4.5#. I gave one to a hunting partner and keep one as a loaner. I do mod the belt for double reverse pull like the modern kifarus, easy to do.

Last edited:
I’ve used the hell out of some of their older bags. Deployed with an MMR and a Marauder that I wish I still had. Also had an old school X Ray for a while too.

In more recent years the Argali was a good set up before deciding I wanted some external access

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Not as old as some of those bags but I went from a striker XL back to a discontinued 22 mag. Seemed to fit my needs better no regrets

I sold my ZXR years ago....and miss it terribly. I still have all my pullouts though. P.s. this is kind of a useless post. I need to make 10 post to use the classified section 😋 ... Hoping to find a kifaru tail gunner 1. Currently using the helikon tex version but it's not cutting it.

OP
J

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
22 mag was such a cool bag. I know there’s a bunch of big fans on here.