Old guys packing elk!!,

Trekking poles are your best friend. They are like 4 wheel drive and carry a good percentage of the load. But like anything you’ll develop your own techniques of using them so don’t take them out of the package at base camp. Use them during the summer.

Future old guy packing out elk. I just found out I have degenerative disk disease in my neck and lower back 35 yrs old, going out for my first elk hunt this fall. How hard on the body is it packing out an elk? should I just get a horse?

chindits

WKR
Future old guy packing out elk. I just found out I have degenerative disk disease in my neck and lower back 35 yrs old, going out for my first elk hunt this fall.
Wow. I would definitely refer that to your trusted medical professional. You must already be having issues if you have that diagnosis at your age.

Long term health and prolonged healthy activities would be my personal priority over man packing an elk out.

Taudisio

WKR
Future old guy packing out elk. I just found out I have degenerative disk disease in my neck and lower back 35 yrs old, going out for my first elk hunt this fall. How hard on the body is it packing out an elk? should I just get a horse?
Ouch. It’s a LOT of work as a healthy young person. Might be a thing to try once for you and then go with a guide/horses/friends/llamas in the future. Elk habitat is usually always steep and even a calf is bigger than any whitetail/mule deer/blacktail. Good luck to you!

Backyard

WKR

I would focus on actually getting one on the ground first. That can be harder than the packout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch. It’s a LOT of work as a healthy young person. Might be a thing to try once for you and then go with a guide/horses/friends/llamas in the future. Elk habitat is usually always steep and even a calf is bigger than any whitetail/mule deer/blacktail. Good luck to you!
Man that scares me. I'll deal with it after I get one on the ground tho.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I just found out I have degenerative disk disease in my neck and lower back 35 yrs old, going out for my first elk hunt this fall. How hard on the body is it packing out an elk? should I just get a horse?
I've had DDD in my spine for decades, I'm almost 59 now. Was told in 2016 by the neurosurgeon that I needed a 4-level fusion in my neck.......coincidentally after packing out the bull in my avatar. My neck and upper back have been an issue for a long time. Three herniated discs between C4 and C7, all compressing the spinal cord. Another one right in the middle of my back, and a big problem at L4-5 since 2019. I just keep putting off surgeries as long as I can.

In 2022 I was hunting about 1.5 miles above my camp one cool drizzly morning. I was working this bull when I apparently twisted the wrong way and I went down like a sack of potatoes. I laid there for at least 10-15 minutes face down. I couldn't move. The whole time I was thinking "man, I was prepared to have to crawl out at some point in my life with a broken leg or something, but sheesh......I can't even move, let alone crawl out". I eventually was able to get to my feet and then limp my way out. After a couple days of pain pills, steroids, muscle relaxants, and rest, I was back at it for the rest of the season without any issues.

Thankfully I've never had this kind of issue while actually packing one out. In 2016 the issues rose up about a week after I got home. But I'm pretty sure that was from carrying the whole head, rack, and cape out on my shoulders that year. It just put too much forward pressure on my neck for an extended time.

Just put 50-100lbs of weight in or on your pack and see how that feels.